1997 Cavalier

3.8 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great car for a low price

by Cavalier_enthusiast from New Martinsville, WV on July 23, 2008

I bought my 1997 Cavalier from a family member for $400. It had 98,000 miles on it. I have had zero problems with the car since i bought it in May of 2006. Great gas mileage, easy to drive, and low maintenance. With the 5 speed manual, I spend about $70 less on gas each month than my wife does in her Jeep Cherokee.

I am going to kill this car someday, but not today

by Overkill from Richmond, VA on August 5, 2013

This is my first car. I bought it for $1200 with 196,000 miles on it. 2,000 miles later, and Pojie (Piece Of Junk Isn't 'E) and I have had quite a few adventures. We've made two 400 mile trips on 3/4 of a tank of gas, averaging about 36 MPG with 4 adults in the car and bags. We've gone off-roading, and gone through mud holes that my buddies in their 4x4's got stuck in. We've gone through city traffic and the boonies, and no matter what, this car has never failed me. It's been used more than once to tow trailers, and has hauled at least 1500 pounds (GM recommends no more than 1000) with the 2.2L (GM says never tow with a 2.2 L engine) and a 3-speed automatic transmission (GM says never tow with a three-speed automatic) at 60 and 70mph (U-haul does not recommmend speeds above 45 MPH)

Common Car, Standout Ride

by Atomic Frog from Omaha. Nebraska on July 27, 2006

I own a 1997 Z24 with the DOHC 2.4L and a 5-speed tranny. The tires are 205/55/16's, and do an excellent job in terms of competent and stable handling, as well as all-weather traction (depending on the tires of course). I have had this car throughout my undergraduate career, and it will hopefully last me through law school. I bought the car with ~ 55k on the odometer, and presently have just under 70k. In that time, I have had to replace the normal slew of parts that one would expect (brake pads, wheel bearing, and o2 sensors). The one nasty repair I had to do was replacing the water pump, which cost a pretty penny because most of the engine needs to be removed just to reach it. However, general maintenance and interior fit and finish have been great, and overall it has proven to be surprisingly well-built car. I tend to average around 24 mpg with mostly city driving, but have bumped it up to about 30mpg with mixed highway miles. This car has carried everything from people to bicycles, with nary a hic-up/ and I couldn't be happier.

Reliable

by Adrian from Palos Hills on September 18, 2017

Good gas mph and if something breaks its an easy fix. Engine will live a long time even if wasint taken care of

out of 5 starsReliability

17 years and still going strong

by TheJ from DC on August 5, 2014

Bought this car new in August 1997. Changed the oil regularly and rotate tires and occasionally have brakes fixed. The only major problem was in 2002 when I had to have the water pump replaced which was rather expensive. I am also on my third radio and the AC struggles but the heater works great. I have a trailer hitch on it and occasionally pull my jon boat with no problems. Currently have 183,000 miles on it and it runs great. Stills starts right up, plows through snow, and gets me reliably from point a to point b. It is still peppy and holds the road well. Car isn't much to look at but is so dependable and doesn't cost much to run or maintain that I can't bring myself to trade it in. I get around 28 mpgs on it driving combines city/highway. I have owned toyota celica, honda accord, ford taurus show, and mercury in the past but I got to say this car has been the best running car I have had with the fewest problems. I bought this car when I didn't have much money. Yes, it was/is a cheap car but for me it has served me well and will keep driving it till it breaks down and the repair cost is over $600. I have been saying this for 3 years now and I expect I will be saying it again in 3 more when it hits 20 years old and becomes a classic.

Very Little Trouble from this Vehicle

by MsMeka from Pontiac, MI on August 29, 2006

I have owned my Cavalier for seven years and I've only had to make minimal repairs. It is really a great buy for the money.

I love this car! It just won't die!

by Stubs78374 from Portland, OR on December 22, 2014

I've had 2 Cavaliers. I sadly wrecked my auto 4 door w/ almost 200k with nearly no issues except maintenance. My dad got my 2 door manual in trade for repairs. It had a blown engine because the last owner ran it out of oil and raced it till it blew. We dropped a used engine with about 98k in it and it's been a work horse ever since. It has over 224k on it now and I've taken it everywhere! Still gets great gas mileage. My boyfriend was shocked the amount of pick up it has. I just love this thing. :)

, Love this old car

by Carly from on June 25, 2017

I've had this car for 21 years, yes, 21 years. I bought it new, and except for minimal maintenance (tires, battery, muffle, etc.), I have spent very little. It starts the first time each and every time. I notice the A/C drags the engine, but I'm in a climate where I don't need it on much. I think I'll run it until it decides to go, but I hope I can get a few more years out of it. I don't think I'll ever have a car like this again, especially the reliability, so I'll watch it run for as long as possible.

I would be lost without her.

by mandienoelle from Allentown, PA on March 1, 2018

My great-grandparents purchased this car when it first was released. At the time, they knew it was going to be their last car, and it was just going to be used to getting back and forth from the great-grandkids (me and my siblings) and going shopping. After my great-grandmother passed away and my great-grandfather had his stroke, he hopped from nursing home to nursing home, and so did the car. When he passed away, he had left the car to my parents and I (I was just about to get my license). Let me tell you, I would not be able to do anything without this car. I have escaped so many scary situations on the road thanks to her, I've taken road trips on a single tank of gas, and in her old age, she's still running like a champ. It will be so hard to leave her in October 2018. Due to the car being outside for most of her life and being exposed to the ever-changing PA weather, the exterior of the car looks as though she's sunburned and peeling and she is almost completely rusted out the bottom, and will not be able to pass inspection again. It will be hard to find another car like her.

Very dependable...get a lot for your money

by bowling man from New York, NY on April 27, 2007

Runs great. The interior designing could use a little upgrade, but otherwise it's a fantastic car. Very reliable -- I never questioned whether it would be able to get me from point A to point B. I personally think the sportier versions are actually among the more stylish cars on the road.

1 2