2004 Chevrolet Colorado

nice little truck

by from souderton,pa on September 12, 2017

i like the small style pick-ups and this one was a joy to drive 5 cylinder no frills auto,2wd. 82,000 miles and running GREAT, till someone T-BONED me at an intersection, no more nice little truck

I have had two 04 Colorados loved them.

by from Fort Worth on July 23, 2017

Engines and transmission will last for 250,000 plus and great gas mileage for a little truck. I also liked the great leg room for a tall person.

Mid size EXCELLENT TRUCK !

by from Tempe, Az. on June 1, 2017

Bought this truck with a blown engine as a "project" . Put a USED 5cyl engine in it ,painted the hood, re-upholstered the front seats, new tires. Drive it EVERY DAY !

2004 Chevy Colorado Z71 Ls 2wd I-4 5sp manual

by from Hindsville, AR on May 20, 2017

What I like: Excellent fuel mileage, very good reliability for the engine and transmission, really like the G80 automatic rear locking differential, traction control is very good on ice and wet pavement, good looking exterior design, good ground clearance for the Z71 package. What I don't like: The transtransmission is too high geared, I have to shut off the traction control manually each time I start it because it is too sensitive & over reacts on dry pavement, the sheet metal & body on the truck are too thin & flimsy (especially the hood & side bed), the dash lights go out intermittently on occasion but it does have 176,000 miles, the ride could be smoother on dirt road & rough pavement, there is no outside key lock on the passenger side door (& I have no keyless entry so it's a pain unlocking from the driver's side constantly), and the wheels don't turn sharp enough in my opinion.

It's been good for me for 13 years.

by from Cleveland, OH on March 14, 2017

I've been very please with my 2004 Z71 Colorado with the Vortec i5 motor and 2 wheel drive. Better mileage than the 4 cylinder and better power, similar to other 6 cylinder trucks I've driven. I've put very little money into this truck after 13 years and 130,000 miles. Well worth the value.

Great little truck!

by from Thompsons Station, TN on April 18, 2013

On July 31, 2004, I bought a brand new 2004 Chevrolet Colorado LS Extended Cab with the 3.5 liter 5-cylinder and 4-speed automatic. This past weekend I passed the 160,000 mile mark and very easily I might add. Over the past 4+ years I have averaged 22.7 mpg, I got 99,838 miles out of my last set of tires (BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour), and the ORIGINAL brakes, front and rear, are still on the truck and doing fine with a lot of life left on them. Like just about any vehicle, take care of it and it will last. I've made a few repairs over the years, but have never been left stranded. The only complaint I had was that the catalytic converter was welded improperly which in turn caused me to get it replaced twice for a total cost of $1,050. Like I said, it's been a great truck and at this pace I should get 250,000 miles out of it without much trouble.

new car lots of troubles

by from Tacoma Wa on January 30, 2013

I bought it new. it is comfortable, pretty good gas mileage, yet within the first 3 months these problems drive shaft to short , kept getting stuck in third gear, catalytic converter was improperly wield and was coming off. then the exhaust manifold had a crack all the way across. break handles break, brake light switch faulty, heater/ac fan only works on high power 99% of the time. fuel tank does not properly read the amount of fuel in it when it is lower than a 1/4 tank. i do like how it rides.

best truck I've ever owned

by from Ohio on July 29, 2012

Bought it as a low mileage used vehicle and found out quickly it is a great vehicle. Crew cab is very spacious and comfortable and while bed is shorter it still is large enough to haul what I need to haul. I would definitely buy another Colorado.

What a Horrible truck

by from on July 18, 2011

I bought a used 04 Z71 used with 40k miles on it before I even drove it off the lot it stalled out. didnt have problems again until about 50k abs light comes on and off..now Im getting the infamous spit and sputter and wanting to stall changed fuel filter and pump been to dealer and many shops no one knows what is wrong with it. It is weak, no power. it rattles to the point of me wanting to rip my ears off or shove ear plugs in them. Half the truck is made out of plastic. I wouldnt recommend this new or used to anyone.

great picup

by from Turlock Ca on July 9, 2011

i got my chevy colorado as a certified used 18,900 miles have 40,100 miles on it now and the only problem i have had is i had to have the fan switch fixed it wouldnt work on third speed

Our Expert Review: 2004 Chevrolet Colorado