NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2012 Equinox

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

2012 Chevrolet Equinox

4.1

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox?

Good for the money

by Just a Girl who drives a lot from New Bloomfield PA on Mon Feb 13 2012

I had a Honda CRV and tried buying another one, but the Honda dealers in this area really are awful at return customers. The new CRV was okay some of the the design changes are wierd, however. We went to the Chevy dealer next and were treated really well. Great deal and the Equinox feels much more sturday than the Honda. The MPG are about the same and the deal was SOOOOOOOOO much better. The upshot is I put almost 120K miles on a car in four years, so I need a vehicle that will keep me safe. This one seems to fit the bill. In the bad weather several times now the car hugs the road and negotiates my nightmare driveway beautifully. Something the Honda wasn't as good on, both vehicles are Inline 4s and both vehicles are AWD. I feel at this point we made the right choice. We now have two new 2012 Equinox's in the garage and are happy with them both (the other is the V-6)

Best car I've ever owned!

by Jon from Branson mo on Sat Jan 07 2017

I 60 years old and have had numerous cars over the years. I bought the 4 cyl 2012 new and in 4.5 years have 149,800 miles on it. Freeway mpg is 29 to 32 depending on hills and if I go 65 or 70 mph. Besides regular main, I have spent only $15 total on it, and that was for a rear windshield wiper. I'm still using the original brake pads!! Roomy, good ride, decent mpg, nice looking, and no problems!! What more can you ask for!!!

Timing chain should be recalled

by RobB755 from Flint Michigan on Thu Feb 09 2017

Timing chain has went out on me 3 times in 3 years. Costing $1500+ every time. Research the issue before buying. It's guaranteed to happen.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love my Equinox

by GM Man from Independence, MO on Sun Feb 05 2012

Equinox has a Great design,and looks. The mileage is fantastic for a crossover SUV. The Navigation feature is user friendly and great just to see where you are and get fraffic updates.The interior design makes you think you're in a much more expensive vehicle and handles really good. I give the Equinox 2 thumbs up.

Love my Equinox

by Silver 2LT 4 cyl. front wheel drive from Wichita, KS on Sat Sep 27 2014

I have been doing my research for several months looking at what affordable used SUVs to consider that are big enough for my two large dogs, small enough to get good fuel economy, and have the nice features I want. I was looking at the GMC Terrain very seriously but since the interior is almost identical to the Equinox, I decided that I like the more rounded exterior better on the Equinox. It is also several thousand dollar cheaper in the used market. First of all I was worried that I was really compromising by purchasing the 4 cylinder Equinox since I traded in a 3.0 liter V6 Mariner, but I have found it completely adequate. Basically if you are used to a 6 cylinder, you just have to get used to less torque and working the pedal more to rev the RPMs higher in a lower gear. I have owned my 2012 Equinox for 2 weeks now. I love the leather heated seats. The seat heaters work very quickly and feel good on a sore back. The power lumbar adjustment for the driver seat is a welcome feature. The dashboard has a nice trip computer display in the center that will digitally display your current speed if you want so you don't have to peek under the rim of the steering wheel to check speed. The 7" touchscreen radio controls are well laid out and simple to use. I am not very impressed with the sound of the XM radio reception. It doesn't sound digital and I find that plugging in my phone with the ipod port under the armrest is more enjoyable for me. The digital sound is much better, and the songs are displayed on the screen with controls to change songs or genre, artist, channel, etc. It works just as well using iRadio. The remote start is a nice feature and I really like the laser cut flip key fob. The rear backup camera really needs a grid on the screen to show you where the vehicle path is headed. Objects also look much further away than they really are. LED daytime running lights would be a nice addition to the nicer models but the projector beam fog lights look great. There is lots of bag seat space with comfortable seats that I believe will be perfect for 4 adults on a road trip. There might not be quite as much cargo space as a CRV, but the overall package of the Equinox has nicer features and better styling that doesn't look like you're moving into your first college dorm.

10,000 miles

by Questor from Topeka, KS on Mon Feb 20 2012

Well am at 10,000 miles and still love it. I have the AWD 4 cyl version and am averaging 25.7 overall, have gotten as high as 29 on the highway and about 23 in town. With having AWD that is great. Ride is fantastic and it is quiet. Overall very satisfied I will see what the next 10,000 miles bring.

Good fit for seniors

by New Buyer from Arlington Heights, Il on Fri Jul 13 2012

Purchased in March and put 2500 miles on it. Like the good gas mileage and don't mind the extra shifting of the auto trans. Happy with room and ride as replacement for Malibu.

quality ride

by addicted to public transportation from Phoenix, AZ on Mon Jun 18 2012

What can I say, I love my car. It rides really nice. I feel extremely safe and comfortable in it. The brakes got their first serious test recently and they performed quite admirably.

Review

by koosey from Dallas, TX on Thu Dec 13 2012

This is the second Equinox that I have bought. I liked the 2011 so much that I decided to get a 2012 as well the following year. I have two kids and we decided to buy this over a minivan. There is plenty of room for the kids in the back seat. The seat material is very durable and has held up well with the kids. The ride is fairly smooth for being an SUV. The gas mileage is very good for the four cylinder model. We went on a family trip from Texas to Michigan on under three tanks of gas. On the highway trip we average arround 28 mpg with the car loaded up. City driving has been arround 24 mpg. The mpg is very dependent on your driving pattern an total weight of the vehicle. The mpg is very good for a SUV and 32 mpg is probably based on driving 55mph on highway with cruise control. I haven't had any break downs and only routine oil changes and tire rotations have been needed. There did not seem to be much more power with the V6 engine, but it appears the 2013 model addresses this. Mylink is new compared to the 2011 models. Mylink does make it easier to interface with XM, your phones Bluetooth, and the other vehicle monitoring features (mpg, tire pressure, etc..). Mylink is pretty simple to use and works well with Android and iPhones. I'm a picky person and take my time on buying things. I've been very pleased with the Equinox and would recommend this as a family vehicle over a minivan with great gas mileage.

Love this great value vehicle

by CaDad from Central NY on Sun Mar 29 2015

Great design, great comfort, great features. Nothing I do not like after 48K miles. The 2.4L engine is not gutsy but it is very capable and the gas mileage is remarkable. This is a CUV class car, but really feels like a midsized SUV. Very satisfied.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18

Our Take on the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox

Editor's note: This review was written in August 2011 about the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

With the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox's high-quality interior and great ride, it's easy to see why the compact SUV has been a runaway success, though its value diminishes as the trim level and price rises.

It's been two years since our initial review of the redesigned 2010 model. Now, a few years in, we've tested multiple Equinox trim levels against fresher competition. This time around, I drove the most-expensive trim, the LTZ, with a four-cylinder engine and... Read More