NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2003 Malibu

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

$761 - $4,869  MSRP Range
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu?

Great Value

by informed consumer from Chicago, IL on Sat Nov 03 2012

I bought this car new over 9 years ago and continue to be pleased with it's value and performance now at 110,00 miles. I faithfully have had preventative maintenance done to the car and only have had trouble with the fuel pump and anti-lock brake wiring. The car has never been garaged and the paint still looks great (I do wax it a couple of times a year) but is showing rust bubbles around the gas filler which I notice on other similar vintage malibus. Gas mileage is what I expect for a V-6 4-speed automatic (22 mpg mostly city driving and 28 mpg on the highway). I have had no engine, transmission, or suspension issues with the car. Rear seat room is much better than other mid-size cars I've owned. It handles well in snowy conditions. The windshield wipers are hard to clean when they freeze up with ice as you have to lift to hood up to fully access them. In winter the hood release freezes up at times also. Maybe the right lubricant would fix that. Heat and AC work well. It is a comfortable car even on long highway trips. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one that has been properly maintained.

Best riding car I have ever owned

by Average Joe from Cincinnati, Ohio on Sun Mar 29 2009

Bought my 2003 Chevy Malibu from a lease. The power from the V-6 engine is great. Great Handling. Have driven this car across the country several times - with absolutely no problems. I can understand how this car was voted best car of the year recently. I think Malibu is the best car GM makes. (I also had a Chevy Lumina that was really good as well).

Most reliable car iv owned

by Chevyguy from Elizabethton, T.N. on Sat Mar 03 2018

I've owned two 03 malibu's and they are by far the best vehicle I've had!! And strongly recommend the car to any and everyone. So if your looking for a dependable car buy a chevy malibu you will not regret it.

Most problematic car I've owned

by FormerChevyLover from Pontiac, MI on Fri Jan 19 2007

I grew up with all GM vehicles. I have owned 3 Chevy vehicles in my lifetime. This by far is the worst! I purchased the Malibu new in 2003 and have taken it in every year for some problem. Beginning with the brakes: after only 25,000 miles, the front brakes had to be replaced (2004). Then a few months later, the rear brakes(2005). Then in 2005/2006 the starter was replaced TWICE. Just recently (Jan. 2007) the fuel pump went out on my car. I had to get a new one which was NOT under warranty. I am NOT a happy camper with this vehicle. I would NOT recommend it to my worst enemy.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best car ever!

by Chipmunk from Sparks, NV on Thu Dec 25 2008

This by far is the best car i've ever had. I also own a 2003 Honda Accord and i have had to swap out the engine on that thing many times. This malibu, Very reliable, very confortable, great handling! I bought it n 03 and just recently, it suffered its real big problem, It was just the alternator and a cable connected to the alternator that went bad. 2 hours in the mechanics and it was back to normal. Very supprised. It handles great even on snow. Its only a FWD car but it handles like a AWD car. Even on street tires! Speakers sound identical to those expensive Bose speakers. Friends at my school are very jealous that i have this malibu. Another excellent Chevy car!

Approaching 300,000 miles

by SuperDave from Clear Lake, SD on Fri Apr 22 2016

I purchased my 2003 Malibu as a used vehicle when it was 1 year old and had 24,000 miles on it. Now, it has 287,000 miles on it and is still going strong. It still has the original transmission and engine. The larger repairs it has needed have been transmission cooler lines, fuel pump, alternator, water pump and wheel bearings. For all the miles though, it has rarely been in the shop. I never worry about it breaking down. I put on about 25,000 miles per year (almost all highway) and this car is very reliable. The only annoying thing has to do with the fact that I live on a gravel road. The car has plastic hubcaps and over time dust and dirt accumulate behind the hubcaps on the outer part of the wheel rim. Eventually enough accumulates that it causes the car to vibrate at highway speeds. So about three times I year I have to take off the plastic hubcaps and thoroughly clean all the dust and dirt off the rims and then it drives smoothly again. Mechanically though, this car is sound! I am starting to wonder how many miles I can realistically expect to get out of this wonderful car!

Real Value, though a bit bland

by Kenlll from San Jose on Mon Jan 29 2007

Solid except for need for installation of a new dash board (under warranty). It has a slight rattling noise ever since. Very reliable otherwise and the best value I could find dollar for dollar, which I have never stated concerning a Chevy vehicle.

Surprised me!

by PSH41 from Boston, MA on Fri Aug 18 2006

I need a new car quickly. My Malibu was in the right place at the right time. For a little car, it sure has a lot of kick. V6 engine probably explains that! I find that it handles amazingly well. Not a lot of bells and whistles for the interior, but I really like it.

Simple but effective

by Not a Hot Rodder from Chicago, IL on Wed May 24 2006

We were in the market for a newer car and the Malibu turned out to be perfect. Much roomier than you'd expect from a smaller 4-door, and has been very reliable. Also more kick than you'd expect. Finally, the price is right; it's gotta be on the lower end so the payment is nice. True, you see about a million of these on the road everyday, but there's a good reason why. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done.

solid good value not a classy car

by have owned 30 cars from San Jose on Tue Dec 02 2008

Bought new in 2003.Now 81,000 miles later have had no problems except the glove box hinge broke. everything about the car runs and works well but after having owned a few Honda accords it just cannot compare in it's handling ability! You feel the difference immediately. This car does not hold it's value well but IF you are buying it used then it can be a real bargain. (someone else took the heavy depreciation.) Note this car ranked right up their with the accord and camry for dependability. Satisfied buyer but might make my next car an accord, they just handle better.

1 2 3 4