2003 Malibu

$457 - $5,377  MSRP Range
2003 Chevrolet Malibu

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2003 Chevrolet Malibu?

Great Value

by informed consumer from Chicago, IL on Sat Nov 03 2012

I bought this car new over 9 years ago and continue to be pleased with it's value and performance now at 110,00 miles. I faithfully have had preventative maintenance done to the car and only have had trouble with the fuel pump and anti-lock brake wiring. The car has never been garaged and the paint still looks great (I do wax it a couple of times a year) but is showing rust bubbles around the gas filler which I notice on other similar vintage malibus. Gas mileage is what I expect for a V-6 4-speed automatic (22 mpg mostly city driving and 28 mpg on the highway). I have had no engine, transmission, or suspension issues with the car. Rear seat room is much better than other mid-size cars I've owned. It handles well in snowy conditions. The windshield wipers are hard to clean when they freeze up with ice as you have to lift to hood up to fully access them. In winter the hood release freezes up at times also. Maybe the right lubricant would fix that. Heat and AC work well. It is a comfortable car even on long highway trips. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one that has been properly maintained.

Best riding car I have ever owned

by Average Joe from Cincinnati, Ohio on Sun Mar 29 2009

Bought my 2003 Chevy Malibu from a lease. The power from the V-6 engine is great. Great Handling. Have driven this car across the country several times - with absolutely no problems. I can understand how this car was voted best car of the year recently. I think Malibu is the best car GM makes. (I also had a Chevy Lumina that was really good as well).

Last American Car I'll Ever Own

by Disappointed Malibu Owner from Dallas, TX on Sun Mar 08 2009

We've owned the Chevy Malibu since February 2003. It's never failed to disappoint. The air conditioner has been repaired five times in six years (each time because it won't stay in the recirculate - colder - mode for more than a few minutes). Might not be an issue in Fargo, but August in Dallas makes a cold a/c a necessity, not an option. A final repair occurred last year that seems to have finally resolved it, and GM (or our dealer) paid for it out of warranty, but it should have never gotten to that point to begin with. It's an ongoing, known issue (Google Malibu a/c problem for some ideas). Before you consider buying this hunk of junk, Google "Malibu coolant leak" to read the warnings around the GM-mandated coolant and problems they have. This car has convinced me to never buy Chevy again.

Does not recommend this car!!

Most reliable car iv owned

by Chevyguy from Elizabethton, T.N. on Sat Mar 03 2018

I've owned two 03 malibu's and they are by far the best vehicle I've had!! And strongly recommend the car to any and everyone. So if your looking for a dependable car buy a chevy malibu you will not regret it.

Most problematic car I've owned

by FormerChevyLover from Pontiac, MI on Fri Jan 19 2007

I grew up with all GM vehicles. I have owned 3 Chevy vehicles in my lifetime. This by far is the worst! I purchased the Malibu new in 2003 and have taken it in every year for some problem. Beginning with the brakes: after only 25,000 miles, the front brakes had to be replaced (2004). Then a few months later, the rear brakes(2005). Then in 2005/2006 the starter was replaced TWICE. Just recently (Jan. 2007) the fuel pump went out on my car. I had to get a new one which was NOT under warranty. I am NOT a happy camper with this vehicle. I would NOT recommend it to my worst enemy.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best car ever!

by Chipmunk from Sparks, NV on Thu Dec 25 2008

This by far is the best car i've ever had. I also own a 2003 Honda Accord and i have had to swap out the engine on that thing many times. This malibu, Very reliable, very confortable, great handling! I bought it n 03 and just recently, it suffered its real big problem, It was just the alternator and a cable connected to the alternator that went bad. 2 hours in the mechanics and it was back to normal. Very supprised. It handles great even on snow. Its only a FWD car but it handles like a AWD car. Even on street tires! Speakers sound identical to those expensive Bose speakers. Friends at my school are very jealous that i have this malibu. Another excellent Chevy car!

Real Value, though a bit bland

by Kenlll from San Jose on Mon Jan 29 2007

Solid except for need for installation of a new dash board (under warranty). It has a slight rattling noise ever since. Very reliable otherwise and the best value I could find dollar for dollar, which I have never stated concerning a Chevy vehicle.

Approaching 300,000 miles

by SuperDave from Clear Lake, SD on Fri Apr 22 2016

I purchased my 2003 Malibu as a used vehicle when it was 1 year old and had 24,000 miles on it. Now, it has 287,000 miles on it and is still going strong. It still has the original transmission and engine. The larger repairs it has needed have been transmission cooler lines, fuel pump, alternator, water pump and wheel bearings. For all the miles though, it has rarely been in the shop. I never worry about it breaking down. I put on about 25,000 miles per year (almost all highway) and this car is very reliable. The only annoying thing has to do with the fact that I live on a gravel road. The car has plastic hubcaps and over time dust and dirt accumulate behind the hubcaps on the outer part of the wheel rim. Eventually enough accumulates that it causes the car to vibrate at highway speeds. So about three times I year I have to take off the plastic hubcaps and thoroughly clean all the dust and dirt off the rims and then it drives smoothly again. Mechanically though, this car is sound! I am starting to wonder how many miles I can realistically expect to get out of this wonderful car!

Surprised me!

by PSH41 from Boston, MA on Fri Aug 18 2006

I need a new car quickly. My Malibu was in the right place at the right time. For a little car, it sure has a lot of kick. V6 engine probably explains that! I find that it handles amazingly well. Not a lot of bells and whistles for the interior, but I really like it.

Basic and Affordable

by Malibu Enthusiast from West Virginia on Wed May 30 2007

I bought my Malibu used as a first car. Me, my neighbor, and sister all have one and the 1 and 2 on the temp. controls dont work and the brakes are horrible. But, it goes pretty quick, and was very very affordable. It is simple, but gets the job done and does have alot of room. I do wish that a sunroof would have been standard on the LS model. I have also noticed that many i see on the road always have tailights burnt out./?

1 2 3 4