Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 Malibu

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

2008 Chevrolet Malibu

4.2

Have You Driven the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu?

only one complaint

by retired mechanic from east texas on Wed Feb 16 2011

appears to be the best car i have owned so far.but the engineers put harley davidson sized brakes on it! at 50k they were metal to metal, and we are old people who always get 100k out of brake pads.other than that i havent spent a dime on it in 90k!

Too Much engine for the car

by Golf Driver from Kentucky on Thu Mar 29 2012

Love the car's performance, V6-6 Speed. The front end is most appealing (Sporty) the back of the car looks like grandmas car. 23 MPG around town I am guessing I will get around 30 on the Highway. I would buy one again!!

So far so good!

by Wiredapple from NW Ohio on Thu Mar 12 2015

I purchased this car used and I must say - I have been impressed with the car's performance thus far. The car looks great on the outside, I love the red tintcoat paint, and the interior mocha/cashmere color scheme looks elegant. The engine seems a bit sluggish at first when you punch the throttle, but the ensuing acceleration is acceptable. I have the LTZ trim with V-6 engine. I was a bit wary of the many negative reviews of the car, but so far - I have had no problems with the car since buying it a month ago. I opted to purchase an extended warranty in case something did go on the fritz. Overall, I am happy with the car and am looking forward to making some modest modifications to the car with a performance intake and exhaust and some general aesthetic touches.

Great All Around Car!

by Bowtie Fan from Memphis, Missouri on Thu Jun 11 2009

I bought an 2008 Malibu LTZ with the 2.4L DOHC paired with the six speed automatic (with paddle shifters). The brick/ebony leather interior is very pretty and the blue lighting is amazing at night. The reason I gave the interior design only three stars on the rating is not because of the visual part which is great. There are several things that are not quite as quality as I expected, like the bulge just in front of the flip up compartment on the dash. I have a friend who has the exact same thing on an LT2, so I figure it wasn't just a freak coincidence. The four cylinder doesn't have a whole lot of extra power, but I never have had problems with passing expecialy in manual mode where you can keep the engine at high rpm. On the highway it's a very easy cruiser and runs in a staight line as easy as anything. It takes to the winding road surprisingly well. It doesn't feel heavy at all unless you want to go from 0-60, then you feel that horsepower to weight ratio take its toll. Overall it's a beautiful car and I think that the fuel milage rating is right in line, unlike some cars that are so optimistic it's unbelievable. So far no repairs larger than a flat tire, so I'm pleased with that! Good Job GM

Love My New Malibu

by new08bu from Fort Worth, Tx. on Fri Nov 09 2007

I have had my '08 Malibu for 5 days and I love it! The exterior is striking and the interior reminds me of a late 50's or early 60's Vette, so classy. I have the 3.5 Ltr. V6 w/4Speed Auto. It has great acceleration, corners very well and with the 4 wheel disks it will stop on a dime and give you a nickle change. Chevy is going to have to "give away" Impalas this year, this car is going to "fly" off the lots. If you are in the market for a new "midsize" car. Go drive all the imports and then bring your checkbook to the chevy dealer. Chevy got it right this time!

Love the Mailbu

by Mailbu LT from Indianapolis,IN on Sun Nov 30 2008

Have had the car for 6 months and have 5300 miles on it and love it. Gets great gas mileage and has a great amount of trunk space. I have the 4 cyl. w/leather and all the extras. The 4 cyl. has plenty of power. Great car. Much better then the last two eras of mailbu's.

My first NEW car

by Liz from Kansas on Fri Apr 08 2011

The first car I ever purchased new was the 2008 Chevy Malibu LT. Originally, I wanted a Honda Accord, but as soon as I sat in the Malibu, I was in love. The remote start and heated leather seats sealed the deal, also. The interior is so stylish--my only complaint is the cup holders are small. I've had my car for almost 3 years and people still think it's a brand new car. There is way more leg room in the front and back seats than my mom's suv. The 4 cylinder is lacking a bit in acceleration but it more than makes up for it at the pump--I never spend more than $40 to fill up (even with $3.50+ gas prices). Overall this has been the best car I've ever owned and would recommend it to anyone!

Love Driving Hate the Reliability

by HatemyMalibu from Schoharie, NY on Mon May 07 2012

I have a 2008 fully loade Malibu LTZ with a V6. It is a super fun car to drive but I have had nothing but problems since the day I bought it. I bought it certified preowned with 43,000 miles on it. Within the first year I have had the following replaced : Tie Rod, both front wheel bearings, steering shaft, tire pressure monitor and all four rotors and all four brakes. I now have owned it for about a year and a half and the door locks won't work on the drivers side the tire pressure monitor is gone on another tire and the tempreature of the engine is now acting up. Future models may be good but stay away from the 2008. Also it is horrible in the snow.

Does not recommend this car!!

probablyfordnexttime

by probablyfordnexttime from wi on Wed Jan 09 2013

only 60k miles and already had 3 lock cylinders replaced.car needs both lower ball joints replaced.i just picked up a low beam headlight to replace a faulty one. turns out that the only way you can access the headlight lamp is to REMOVE THE FRONT BUMPER. it will involve 29 screws,bolts or fasteners being removed and the dealer reportedly charges people 300 smackers for the job. what a joke. ford here i come.seats also very uncomfortable on long trips.

Does not recommend this car!!

I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

by ItsAllAboutChevy from Fairfield, CA on Fri Feb 18 2011

I was driving a rather unimpressive Chrysler Sebring which circumstances forced me to buy at the time before buying my new Malibu. From the moment, I first seen this car I knew I wanted it. Once I test drove it, I was sold. It is super smooth everywhere, nice quiet ride, great stereo system, and the fuel economy deserves an honorable mention though it could be better. The 2008 4 cylinder model gets about 2-3 less MPG than all the later models, then again I hear that the newer 4 cylinders are weak so that could be why. I have tinted the windows, added chrome door handles, and changed the basic LS wheels which were very dull plastic covers. The only complaint that I have about this car is that there needs to be much more technology in it or at least a space to add a nav system. Other than that this car is going to be mine for a while! I'd put this against an import any day!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu

The 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, one of the most impressive cars out of Detroit in decades, is detailed in a separate review, so I'm reporting on the 2008 Malibu Hybrid, focusing on the hybrid aspects and my experiences with it on an interstate trip as well as around town.

A funny thing happened on the way to buy hybrids: Shoppers figured out that they cost more than comparable gas-only cars — sometimes a lot more. Then another funny thing happened: Federal tax credits for the most prolific hybrid manufacturer — Toyota — ran dry, and Honda's dropped to half the original amount for Civic Hybrids sold between January 1 and June 30, 2008. (Come July 1, 2008, they drop to 25 percent of... Read More