1999 Silverado 1500

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Can't kill it.

by Rob from U.S. on April 20, 2007

I got this truck used in 2002. It had about 40k on the engine. It now has just under 150K and it's still running strong. The only things I have replaced are the intake manifold, brakes, and a few fuses here and there. This truck has been through everything I've thrown at it, and it keeps puttin out. I got into a front-end collision on black ice, and replaced the hood, front driver fender, radiator mount, and lights, mirror, etc. It bounced right back, and never skipped a beat. The engine, although all the damage to the body, wasn't even effected by the crash. I have done regular oil changes every 3k to 5k, with the occasional 6K to 7K change. Even at 150K I can still punch it and get excellent pick-up from speeds over 70mph. Honestly, this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Spacious, tough, and all the interior features make it a wonderful vehicle to drive.

SILVERADO 1500 4.8 V8

by CUCU from HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA on January 19, 2009

I HAVE OWNED THE TRUCK FOR OVER 2 YEARS HAVE ABOUT 198000K MILES ON IT, HAVE REPLACED SHOCKS,BRAKES,TIRES,WATER PUMP,PLUGS,INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET AND KNOCK SENSORS. I LOVE THE TRUCK AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE, I HAUL ALOT OF STUFF WITH IT AND IT NEVER BUDGES

Uses car for Towing

Great Workhorse!

by alfaenthusiast from Oklahoma on March 16, 2009

My truck is a LS, extended cab, 4x4 with the 4.8L V8 and automatic transmission. I purchased it with 90k in 2005. Now pushing close to 160,000. It has been very dependable and a hard worker. I've used it to tow and haul concrete debris, loaded 14' trailer, and more. It has not required any major service other than oil changes and tuneups since I've had it. Personally, I think it is one of the best looking trucks GM has had in the last twenty years. Can't expect a large 4x4 to have a great ride or handling, but it is good enough. The 4.8L V8 is adequate for light duty, but 5.3L is probably better suited for towing. Gas milage isn't great, but acceptable at about 15 MPG in mixed city/highway driving. Overall, it's a very good truck and even at 10 years old nothing has come out since to make me want to trade it in.

Most Loved Vehicle

by Sad to See it Go :( from Maryland on July 23, 2014

My father bought this car new in 1999 with two wheel rear drive and an automatic transmission. It was my first ever car when it was passed down to me in 2009, and up until now I have never had any major problems with it. It's got about 200,000 miles on it and the the internal engine has finally given out with the transmission following close behind, but this truck is 15 years old and it has been a pleasure to drive. It doesn't do well in the snow but that's to be expected with rear wheel drive, and having extra weight in the bed helped. I'm in the process of looking for a new vehicle and I'm so sad to see this truck go. =[

Excellent value

by Raider from Binghamton,NY on April 8, 2011

I bought this truck with 241045 miles on it from a deealer. I can not tell you why I would have done such a thing. The miles were very high, but there was something about the look of it and how it drove. I just had to have it. I fixed the rust on the rocker panels and the blower motors last 3 settings. I so far have put 10,000 care free miles on the truck and everywhere I go everybody has to ask what year it is because it is prestine. I have an award winning Malibu in the driveway but hardly ever drive it now. I am a mile freak and am proud of the high mileage this vehicle has. I think that speaks for itself. I will continue to drive this truck for at least 7 more years, garanteed.

A very well made truck...

by Cinco from Pittsburgh Pa on April 23, 2012

I really have enjoyed the Silverado. Smooth ride with a very hands on interior, very nice leather interior but also functional. Very comfortable on the highway yet nimble in the city, and it has very good looks for a 1999... The Z-71 comes with the full LT package, heated seats, power windows, and a very nice leather interior. With a 5.3 Vortec that will allow you to get out of the crowds on the highway.

I LOVE MY TRUCK!

by HEAVY-G from Columbus, GA on January 18, 2010

I purchased this Extended Cab, 3-Dr, 8 cyl, 5-3L Vortec carcoal grey with no bells or whistles with about 80,000 miles. I drove it all the way up to 220,000. The ABS light was on for most of the time with no brake problems. I had to replace the A/C belt once, battery once. I never changed the plugs due to it never giving me a problem. I always changed the oil every 3,000 to 7,000 miles and started to use fully synthetic. Changed tires, brakes as normal. This vehicle was a work horse for me at work as well as at home. Unfortunately, someone side swiped me on a rainy day and the Insurance Co totalled it out. After the accident that totalled it out, I continued to drive it from Atlanta, GA to Melbourne Beach, FL until the salvage company came and picked it up. I was sad to see it go. I am now in the market for a Silverado, 4-Dr, 4x4, with some bells and whistles.

Best ever

by jwv from White Mountains of New Hampshire on April 9, 2013

I bought mine used with 33k on it. Base 4.8l v8, 4X4, reg. cab, short bed. Was the best truck ever!! Only things to go on it was the PRNDL cluster, leaf spring(my fault), and the brake lines rusted. Now you may say that it doesn't sound that good, but when the brakes went there was 250k miles on it!!! I live in NH and commuted with it daily, averaged 18-21 mpg, city/hwy mixed. I beat on it, took it anywhere i wanted to go (within reason), pulled bigger trucks out of snow banks and trees out of my way. It never backed down from anything. I had a family and traded for a ext cab....but i still miss my little truck!!

Best v8 truck

by Kbyron from Dallas, texas on March 17, 2013

This is the third chevy v8 I have and I can affirm that I am buying an used and not a problem car. Never have had major problems with my Chevy Silverado 1500. Other brands maybe are cheaper but trany fails or are highly gas consumers.

good truck

by truck guy from camp pendleton, CA on August 20, 2010

i love my truck. bought it used with 114000 miles. already lifted with 33 in tires. lookin to upgrade the tires to 35's though. my power steering pump died around 4500 miles after i bought the car but after talking to a mechanic he said it was a common problem with the last gen silverado's for the pump to break internally, not a problem for me because i can fix it myself, but i guess it could be a problem for people that arent too truck savvy or dont like getting greasy.

1 2 3