Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 Silverado 1500

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

4.4

Have You Driven the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?

2003 silverado 1500

by john from rochester, mn on Sat Jul 02 2011

just hit 220,000 miles, and all i have done to this truck since i bought it new is replace tires, intake gaskets at 125,000 (easy job on the 5.3), fuel pump at 200,000, also changed the spark plugs when i did the intake...thats it!!! i have done way more heavy towing than i ever should have with a half ton, the tranny still shifts good, and the motor still has plenty of power...i recently drove from southeast minnesota to missoula montana and averaged 19.7 mpg.

2004 silverado

by chavy truck guy from Raleigh, NC on Mon Feb 13 2012

I bought a 2004 silverado, it is my 4th 1500/silverado 4x4 I've owned. I like the body style of the 07 better, but this one will grow on you. I have had 2 with the 350 motor and 2 with the 4.8L. have not noticed any drop in power. This truck is a work truck model other than the drivers seat has lost some padding and no console it ios a great truck. I use it for work, and for driving out on the beach fishing. They are great in the sand, and the snow. I had an Expedition and it was a dog in the sand. Mileage is fair 17 -20 mpg but it is a big truck and can haul a lot. I have had Rangers and S-10's they just don't get the job done.

Reliable Farm Truck

by Cotton Farmer from Louisiana on Sun Mar 14 2010

140,000 dirt road, mud, and interstate miles. Primarily used as a farm truck, it has held up better than my previous '01 and '03 Silverados. I have replaced the hub bearings, the power steering gearbox, water pump, serpentine belts and the shocks. I plan on buying yet another GM product when I get about 200,000 miles on my '04. The biggest flaw with the 1/2 ton GM trucks (in my opinion) is the 4L60E transmission; Change the fluid and filter every 35,000 miles and the drivetrain will last forever.

Uses car for Towing

Just keeps getting better!

by Snooty car guy from Pennsylvania on Thu Jan 01 2009

I had the problem with the steering shaft shortly after purchase($75; fixed it myself) and it left a sour first impression. I then had to tow 5 tons for a side project and the truck performed like a champ. Recently purchased a thirty thousand dollar toyota 4runner for my wife and i drove that for about a week. I didn't realize how much i loved my chevy until i fired it up again and put the pedal down. I have owned it for a year and still catch myself smiling on the highway...

2004 Silverado - 1st Time Chevy Buyer

by Skooter from Nashville, TN on Mon Feb 03 2014

I've owned other brands but my brother talked me into buying a Chevy. It's a 10 year old truck so it's gonna have some issues but by and large seems to be good. I love the layout of the interior..it has leather seats..comfortable but not as comfortable as the Ford that I had a few years ago. Extended cab has room for the kids. Only had it a fews weeks but I'm loving it so far!!!

Very durable truck

by Drive4x from Cedar Rapids, IA on Sat Jul 18 2015

I bought my 04 Silverado used in 2006 with 24k miles. I have owned my truck for almost 10 years. For the first 6 years I had only done oil changes with Mobil 1 oil with zero issues. At about 45k miles I replaced the brakes, rotors and new Bridgestone Dueler AT tires. Then at exactly 50k miles the transmission went out and had a total rebuild on the 4L60E transmission. This set me back $1500. At around 65k miles I had to replace a right side wheel bearing. I've never had any issue with the 4x4 and it gets around like a banshee in the snow. I am still impressed by the power of the 5.3 Vortech engine. My truck also has the undercoat which I highly recommend if you plan to keep the truck for many years. I use this truck mostly to go back and forth to work which is why I'm only at 72k miles on it.. But I do haul some stuff on occasion like furniture and appliances or tow small trailers. I love having a truck to haul things when I need to and get around in the winter without getting stuck.

215000 miles and she won't quit

by Zachary from Will County, IL on Wed Apr 05 2017

I'm the 3rd owner on my 2004 Z71 with the legendary 5.3 VorTec, and I just rolled 216000 miles the other day, and I'm happily in love. The truck still runs like a beast. This truck will simply never say no. It's never let me down, never left me stranded, never broken down, never gotten stuck, and never had something behind that it couldn't tow. For a half ton truck, you cannot beat the price. I plan on driving this truck until either she dies or I do, and I'm not sure which really will come first. My buddy drives a 1999 Silverado with 500k miles, and I hope I get to see my truck reach that as well.

I love this truck

by the truck guy from Neenah, WI on Wed Jan 24 2007

this is a great truck i have towed a 31 foot fifth wheel across the country more than once with no problems pulls like its not even there and with the 6.0 it goes like the wind weeeeee

worth the money

by t3jones from oakdale ca on Mon Sep 25 2006

this truck WAS RELIABLE LOOKED GOOD AND ALWAYS PERFORMED TO MY EXPECTATIONS.I WOULD DEFFINATLY PURCHASE THIS TRUCK AGAIN . ENGINE WAS STRONG AND NEVER GAVE ME ANY TROUBLE.

Best Truck Ever

by Semper Fi from Alta Loma, CA on Thu Apr 26 2007

Just out of warrantee...but who cares? This truck has been flawless in reliability and comfort for the whole three-plus years I've had it. Smooth, effortless power with 4.8 V-8, and 17MPG overall, too. Handling is as good as it gets with recirculating ball. Just needs an iPod plug to be perfect...

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Chevrolet's high-performance Super Sport moniker is applied to a pickup truck with the Silverado SS.

Powered by a 345-horse version of the Vortec V-8, Silverado joins a cadre of Chevy SS editions dating back to 1961, including Impala, Chevelle, Nova and Camaro.

New for 2003, Silverado SS is the first of several upcoming SS models, including Impala SS for 2004 and an all-new Chevelle SS in the near future.

Silverado SS is quick, and it's flashy. Still, you have to wonder: a $40,000 Chevy pickup?

That's probably not so outlandish now that pickup trucks are commonly used as personal transportation, and GM has made a mint with high-end, high-priced sport utility vehicles.

Silverado SS goes... Read More