Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2005 Silverado 1500

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

4.3

Have You Driven the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500?

it's a good all around truck

by bowtie from B.C Canada on Mon Mar 16 2009

I was excited when i bought this rig it had only 26000 km on it. I have had it in the shop a couple of times once the airconditioner died so they took the airconditioner appart 2 times and recharged it. it took them 6hrs to find the problem It ended up being a wire that had corrodid. The next one was the tires started chunking appart and had uneven wear so they gave me new ones the same type so I sold them and bought good ones . other that that i've enjoyed my truck and hope to for years.

I've ALWAYS owned Chevys

by Chevy Woman from Las Vegas, NV on Sat Dec 13 2008

I totally LOVE the 2005 silverado quad cab I bought my hubby! I even paid to have a $3,000 stereo installed and a remote start alarm system. I'm not sure though who likes driving it more, me or him!! NEVER any trouble, just your basic preventative maintenance. I'd highly recommend Chevy to anyone any day!!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Runs excellent

by TylerMN from on Sat May 20 2017

It's great and has never let me down. I would definitely recommend this truck to anyone. It's a great truck for anyone the everyday person who also needs to occasionally haul stuff or pull trailers

Excellent

by Mary from Cypress, CA on Thu May 11 2017

I love our Chevy we had it for 13 years no issues other than the differential that just went out. The seats are extremely comfortable we just purchased a new Chevy and the seats in the 2017 Chevy don't compare to the seats in our 2005 Chevy.

what a great investment.

by A guy who needs a tough truck. from McEwen, TN on Fri Jun 28 2013

This is my second Chevrolet truck and this has been a good one too. It has the 4.3L v6 engine mated to the nv3500 5 speed manual transmission. It got me through schools that ranged from Mooresville, NC to Avondale, AZ and now has 152,000 miles on it and is still daily driven and is used at the dealer where I work to tow broken down cars into the shop to be worked on such as Land Rovers and Jaguars. The V6 is surprisingly powerful enough to do most anything you need (except for heavy towing demands 5000lbs and up). Only had the check engine light on once for the thermostat in all this time. Averages highway at 23mpg and city 17mpg.

The Silverado is a fantastic truck!

by Jef B. from Savannah, Georgia on Wed Aug 30 2017

This Silverado has served me extremely well over the ten years I have owned it. It is approaching 300K miles! I never had anything major go wrong. Yes I had to purchase shocks, brakes, tires, a few batteries, and a water pump, but the engine and transmission are still going strong. I'm still using the original exhaust. This truck owes me nothing! I bought it because I needed a strong tow vehicle, and it had both the Z82 and Z85 options without any of the off-road or four wheel drive options to weigh the truck down, allowing me to tow a heavier travel trailer. Before purchasing this truck, I test drove the other brands, but the Chevy rode better and felt better going down the road. When towing long distances, a smooth, comfortable ride is most welcome!

Uses car for Towing

kind of disappointed

by bob12345 from Plymouth, MN on Mon Jun 12 2017

Bought gently used with 33K. First thing that went out was the ABS sensors which is standard for this vehicle in a Minnesota climate where salt is used. Then the front calipers failed at 55K. Then the water pump leaked at 60K. Also the steering column started making a clunking noise and needed a $325 fix...another problem related to the Chevy line that there was no recall for. Then the front axle started to elak at 60K. Seems like this truck has had its share of mechanical letdowns.

Love our new truck!

by Jenn & Bill from Aiken, SC on Fri Jul 13 2018

My husband and I are very satisfied and excited about our used truck. It feels new and looks new. It runs well and looks good.

Why won't Chevy fix this repeated problem

by Chevy does not treat the customer right. from minneapolis mn on Sat Oct 22 2011

The 2005 Chevy Silverado has a history of having the ABS sensors malfunction due to the rust build-up on the hubs. The ABS kicks on at slow speed because the computer cannot read the wheels turning...it thinks you are going into a skid and it applied the ABS. This is common on all vehicles from 2002 through 2007. They did a recall in it for the earlier models but won't for the others. Another common problem is the notorious "clunk" sound in the steering wheel. No, Chevy will not step up and replace the intermediate steering shaft. You have to do it on your own.

ABS break problem

by Not Happy with GM from Bellmore, N.y on Fri Aug 27 2010

My 2005 silverado has had problems with the abs breaking system. I have about 30,000 miles and first the left abs sensor went and two months later the right abs sensor went. Each repair cost $900. I found out that there was a recall for the same asb problem that my silverado had in 2000 to 2004 vehicles. Seems they haven't fixed the problem. Didn't get any help from GM just the run around and a bill of $1800. I am not happy with my dealings with the chevy dealers. Quick to make a sale and you get no service just a headache.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

Now SS stands for Super Smoke!

Just introduced in 2-wheel-drive, the new 2005i Silverado SS boils the tires with all the authority of a John Force half-track burnout. This basic street-cred maneuver had been hopeless in the original Silverado SS with its all-wheel-drive setup. Sure, the AWD Silverado SS would jerk your neck pretty good on a brake-stand launch, and you might get a little bit of tire chirp. But forget about smoke or any serious rubber calling cards on the asphalt.

The updated Silverado SS still won't challenge its direct competition in the halo truck category-the Ford SVT Lightning or Dodge Ram SRT-10-in total power or street performance. But it's a helluva lot more fun to drive and... Read More