1996 Tahoe

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

Have You Driven the 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe?

Soon To Be A Classic

by Alx from Mountain View, CA on Wed Mar 14 2007

Great looking SUV, I still get compliments after all these years. I have the two door version which is quite rare to find for sale. Because most owner of this model keep it until the wheels fall off of it. There are a few minor problems with these SUV's such as the intake gasket leak, tires and brakes wearing out prematurely and some minor electrical problems. (my radio doesn't work anymore.) These problems arose when I hit 105K mark which makes it understandable. Things will break after a while. It does give excellent gas mileage for a vehicle of this size. I get about 20mpg on hwy. Overall I really like my truck. Like may owners I will not sell it. I'll probably even put in a new engine once the old one dies, and drive it for another 200K. I like this truck so much that I am always on the lookout to buy another one.

a durable, dependable & comfortable work horse

by Spec Peddler from Carolina on Tue Nov 04 2008

I purchased a new Tahoe in 1996 and continue to drive it today. It's poised to turn 300,000 miles any day and still starts on the first crank and performs admirably. I've always used fully synthetic motor oil and changed it regularly. I did, however, replace the transmission at 220,000 miles but must admit that I never serviced it or changed fluid prior to the failure.This Chevy can hold its head high and compete against any foreign import.I can only hope, now that I'm getting ready to replace it, that the 2009's are as well made.

great suv

by Jdog from Poca,Wv on Sat Apr 24 2010

I love the chevy tahoe. Its very dependible and has all the power you will need. It has plenty of room and alot of storage space. I would not trade it for ne other car.

A real stump puller

by plumcrazy from Brookville, Ohio on Tue Dec 31 2013

Going on 18 years young. People are amazed when I tell them it's a 1996. The 6.5 diesel is what made the duramax what it is today. Also own a duramax. Once you go diesel you won't go back to gas.

DEPENDABLE "WORK HORSE"

by SUV from Norton, OH on Mon Apr 16 2012

Having owned a 96 Chevy Tahoe LS 4WD for the past 15 yrs; using it for pleasure, vacations & work, it has accumulated 240K miles. My wife has used it to pull my stuck dump truck out of the mud numerous times. Your cars.com e-mail last week reminded me to check the Tahoe listing for a white 96 thru 99 Chevy Tahoe with double rear doors. I found what I have been looking for at the Baumann GM dealership in Tiffin OH, a ninety mile drive from my home. It was another 96 Tahoe LT one family owner with 105K miles, original exhaust system and minimum wear & tear.

Our Take on the 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

Chevrolet Motor Division must be doing something right.

Its Tahoe sport-utility vehicle has been named Motor Trend magazine's Truck Of The Year.

With Chevrolet bringing to its 1996 SUV lineup a new two-wheel drive, two-door Tahoe to accompany the four-door version, the division now covers the entire spectrum of chassis and body combinations.

The Tahoe's ergonomic improvements, technical updates, and adherence to affordability contributed to the sport utility earning the magazine's award.

It might be considered somewhat of a misnomer to call the Tahoe a truck. Its virtues lend themselves to passenger-car applications, plus the ability -- with some equipment combinations -- to do things not possible with... Read More