2011 Volt

3.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

Volt Ushers in a Paradigm Shift

by Solar Powered Volt from El Paso, TX on April 16, 2014

I worked in the auto industry for over a decade and now work in the energy industry and am considered a "car guy." I've owned many vehicles most tending towards the sporty but practical part of the spectrum. The Chevy Volt is easily the best car I have owned. It truly feels like a different form of transportation and I mean that in the best possible way. I enjoy and appreciate a sporty exhaust note and intake growl...once in a while...when I'm in the mood for it..but not everyday on my daily commute. The silence, refinement and effortlessness of an EV is truly mind blowing and I cannot see ever purchasing an internal combustion vehicle as my main means of transport after experiencing the Volt for nearly 2000 miles. Most IC cars feel and sound like tractors too me now. GM has done a great job with suspension tuning and handling. The suspension feels like it never runs out of travel but remains well controlled under all conditions. Front seats are amazingly comfortable and driving from Sacramento, CA to Texas I never once thought about seat comfort which is a sign of great design. The sensation of rapid, silent acceleration riding on the mountain of torque from a stop still makes me giggle every time. One element that could use better tuning is the brakes; I wish they had more initial grab as I still find I have to go deeper into the pedal travel to slow down than feels natural. The capacitive touch center stack looks neat and you can get used to it, but it is definitely less intuitive than more standard push button setups. The exterior design is beautiful and most who have seen it in person agree. The interior design is also great with neat touches like the painted door panels, cream colored perforated leather that looks great, and blue ambiance LEDs that provide a subtle glow at the center stack at night. Surprisingly, the interior smell, yes smell, is also pleasing. I have typically found the interior smell of Japanese and German cars much more pleasing than American cars, but surprisingly the Volt has a pleasant material off gassing signature, i.e. it doesn't reek of cheap plastics and adhesives releasing toxins into the cabin. I'm 6' tall and can fit in the rear seats fine with the front seat set up where I like it. I was actually expecting less space in back based on other reviews. The extended range generator provides great peace of mind, I drove it from Sacramento to El Paso, over 1200 miles, charging only in Vegas since there were handy, free charge stations. In town, I can run errands and commute solely on electric power provided by my solar array and have gasoline backup for unexpected trips. The included trickle charger has proved sufficient to fully charge over night so I am in no rush to add a level 2 charger. Amazing car, I feel more people don't consider because they don't understand how it truly works or what the full benefits are. Test Drive One!

2011 Chevy Volt-too much fun!

by Voltage from Dallas, TX on September 15, 2012

I have owned my 2011 Chevy Volt now for 3 months and I absolutely love it! (I bought it used) I was looking at luxury hybrids but they were crazy expensive and still didn't get the gas mileage I wanted. I have only filled up my gas tank twice since I've owned it and I don't drive it the most economically. It's too much fun to drive in Sport mode, and I'm still getting an average of 80mpg. I can also fit my 2 car seats for my 4 and 2 year old in the back. The leather seats are very comfy and hug you too-so it really feels like a luxury car with the best gas mileage and looks cool-I love it!

WOW! This car is amazing

by j fred muggs from Colorado on July 20, 2012

We have had this Volt for 4 months and absolutely love it. It's very quiet, smooth, comfortable, handles like it's on rails, it's very reliable and extremely cheap to drive. We usually get around 50-60 mpg when we've used the gas engined generator, which isn't often, around 10 percent of our driving. Gas cost per mile is less than 8 cents. The really cheap part is driving on electricity only. We are seeing .26 to .28 kWh per mile. For us at 11.06 cents per kWh, that is under 3 cents per mile. Our old Malibu usually got 32 miles per gallon and was costing us 13 cents per mile. I don't see many if any other cars that are this inexpensive to drive.

2011 Chevy Volt has been the most reliable car

by 220Volt from on March 20, 2017

My Chevrolet Volt has been the most reliable and most inexpensive car to operate and maintain. I haven't had any serious problems with this car. I highly recommend this vehicle for daily commute or long road trips.

I'm excited about this car. Its beautiful.

by Volt Bill from Branson Mo on October 17, 2016

Just bought a 2011 with 32000 miles for $11,500. It's like new and fully loaded. 1/4 the price of it new. The screen shows that it's averaged 108 miles per gallon since new. The last 3,000 miles it averaged 138 miles per gallon. I hope to do as well. I realize on long trips without recharging it will not do much better than a Corolla but that's not why you buy this car. You buy it for local commutes. I was pleasantly surprised that you don't need a special outlet for it just plug it into any wall socket anywhere. Great acceleration. Out of its 3 yr/36k warranty but still under the 5/60 drive trane and the 8/100 battery. I am shopping for an extended warranty now because I'm a bit worried that something expensive could go wrong that I can't afford to fix. Any suggestions as to a good extended warranty for a good price? Too soon to give it 5 stars but I am Very optimistic.

Best car we've owned

by 1st WA car owner from Seattle, Wa on August 3, 2015

I've had a lot of cars in my 42 years of driving. After 4 years of owning a Volt, this is the best one. 66K miles on it now and we're averaging almost 90 MPG. We've taken it on several long distance trips and so that brings the average MPG down quite a bit. The only problem we've had with the car is the electrical plug on the 110V charger that goes into the garage receptacle. It has overheated a few times, so we installed a 220V charger instead. That also cuts the recharge time down from overnight to ~4. I don't understand why this car isn't Chevy's best seller?

Saved tons of money on gas

by Ryan from Miami, FL on September 23, 2017

Love being able to go months without visiting a gas station, but it's nice to have the peace of mind that you could switch over to gas if you want. Amazing amount of room for an electric compact car... four large adults have no problem taking a trip in this car with plenty of room for luggage in the trunk. Completely charges overnight on 120V (no need to buy a 240V charger like other electric cars).

we love this car!!

by dave from North Dallas, Texas on April 30, 2012

We have driven the Volt about 3000 miles and it has exceeded all expectations. The predicted electric range was 37 miles, and we consistently get 43 or 44. The mpg for fuel mode is predicted to be in the high 30s but we have found it to be in the mid 40s. It is tight, handles like a sport car (almost) and is utterly quiet. With the goverment incentive it is also a good bargain. I did a spread sheet comparing all obvious choices (Jetta TDI, Prius) and with our kind of driving (90% under 40 miles) it proved to be the economical. I recommend it to anyone interested in a great driving experience with a high mileage auto

Electric & water don't mix.

by Super Z from Jersey Shore on August 22, 2012

I was in love with my Chevy Volt until the first rain storm. The front carpet got soaked do to a leaking windshield seal. Dealer had the car for 2weeks (Not allowed to stock parts). Replaced the windshield. Still leaking, and they had also replaced the carpet. Going back to the dealer tomorrow.

Does not recommend this car!!

What a car!

by Baldvoltguy from Beaver Dam, WI on April 30, 2012

If you are looki g for a car that gets attention, then here it is. My experience is just like the commercial in the fact that everybody wants to know how it works and hiw I like it. And i have to say that if your willing to look past the sticker, then you will love this car. It is not fun to drive, it is an "Experience" to drive this car. This aint your grandpa's car and you will feel that the second you get in and hit the accelerator! Trust me this is one He!! Of A Ride!!!

1 2 3 4 5