2015 Volt

2015 Chevrolet Volt

2015 Chevrolet Volt

Have you driven the 2015 Chevrolet Volt?

2 years of trouble free driving

by phil from San Diego, CA on Sun Sep 20 2015

Love this car. Traded in a BMW for it and it's a much better value. Come loaded with most features that cost extra from BMW, yet performs better and costs so much less. Over 2 years no mechanical issues at all. Great reliability and averaging 115 mpg which includes lots of long distance trips. Each charge gives me 40 miles and when I take longer trips I can travel in the carpool lane. For the money nothing comes close.

Great Car so far

by Voltage Lover from Columbus Oh on Thu Jul 02 2015

This car is full of technology and the way it melds together is terrific. The transition from electric to gas is completely seamless. I took a trip through the mountains of West Virginia and was completely surprised at the performance. While many people complain about the size it's perfect for my wife and I. When I need to carry a large load I just put the back seats down and load it up. We love the car can't wait to see the next generation.

Exceeds Expectations

by Electrical Engineer from Gilbert, AZ on Mon Jan 18 2016

I knew when I bought my 2015 Volt that it wouldn't have the acceleration of a Tesla. What I didn't know was how much fun this car is to drive. Get in, press the "on" switch, step on the pedal, and it quietly gets you to 45 mph in no time at all. Keep it in "L" and when you let up on the pedal, the motor becomes a generator and feeds electricity back into the battery as the car slows down - without even using the brake pedal. For even more fun, select the "sport" mode and you will really feel the acceleration. When you run out of charge, the gas engine seamlessly connects to the generator and keeps you going for another 300+ miles. What a car!

Car of the future

by Like new technology from Napa, CA on Sun Jul 05 2015

You NEVER have to plug it in- you CAN drive it forever on gas alone. However, it is an electrically driven car that you can plug in and get 40 miles of gas free driving/ charge. The gas engine is really a generator that charges the battery that drives the motor. That said- the car drives great using either the stored electricity or the generated-- no difference noted and it shifts seamlessly and automatically. Some fleet drivers have driven over 70,000 miles without ever having plugged it in. The volt has great acceleration, and really holds the road well- the result of the heavy battery being low to the ground and down the center of the car. My son who drives a sports car was very surprised and impressed when he took it for a spin. Many mechanics believe that since this is essentially an electrically driven car that there should be much less wear and tear on the engine, transmission etc. Although this is the 5th year model it is too early to tell- not many as yet have very high mileage The 2015 volt has lots of interesting electronics- including it's own wifi " hotspot" that I added to my ATT family share plan. There is a learning curve to all this- however it is really easy to learn the basics and drive the car. This qualifies for a PGE electric vehicle rate plan which has untiered time of use rates - with very low rates during off peak hours (11pm-7am). The car has a timer so you can set it to charge during those hours. Of course you can also run major appliances during those hours to offset the electricity costs. You could also put up a few solar panels and do net metering. Your ultimate PGE cost will depend upon how much electricity you use during the peak hours- (2-9pm) and your previous tier 3-4 use. The off peak rate for charging the car alone is about $1.17- which gets a bit more miles than a gallon of gas You can charge the car with the included 110 volt charger Just plug into almost any outlet. It will take about 10 hours if you select 12 amps ( in the car menu) or 16 hours at the default 8 amps. You can have a 240 volt outlet installed and purchase a level two charger that will charge the car in 3-4 hours, but 50% of volt owners don't bother to do this. Of course you can plug the car in at various public charging stations scattered about. Some are free, and some charge more than the price of gas. There are apps to help you locate these. Sometimes you get a really good parking space this way- but it seems ridiculous to wait 3 hours to charge up your car. Also, at present, there are not really very many of these charging stations around and no, you cannot use the "T" lrapid chargers. The Volt is the only electric car I would consider because it runs perfectly well on gas- and you don't have to worry about range anxiety- just plug it in overnight. And it is nice not to have to go to the gas station as often, especially in the morning.

OUTSTANDING VALUE AND FUN TO DRIVE

by cdrmel from Plattsburgh, NY on Sat Nov 14 2015

I leased a 2013 Volt in June 2013. Today I have 38,000 miles on the Volt and have had ZERO problems while only using 244gals of gas; let's see that figures out to be 155.7mpg! This technology is absolutely amazing. I only put fuel in the Volt once every 6 weeks or so. The Volt's torque @ 279ftpds is only a few less than my Corvette's @ 300ftpds! How's that for performance. I carry my musical equipment (2 guitars, 1 banjo, complete PA system, music stand, mike stand, and full sized gear bag, PLUS 2 other passengers and myself to my gigs using the Volt's cargo area and while traversing very mountainous terrain will still average 80-90mpg! This car continues to amaze me and my friends who are now also Volt owners. Not all Chevy dealers carry Volts as many are still in the "dark ages" about electric vehicles. So you might have to shop around to find one, although more and more are showing up. You will not be disappointed if you bought a Volt.

Really Sweet EV!!

by EVLOVER from concord,ca on Tue May 05 2015

So far very excited about owning my first EV. It has all the bells and whistles. Drives like a dream and fun to drive. Very responsive with great acceleration. Fun to regenerate and maximize your miles. Great buy for the technology and safety. LOVE IT!!!

The first of the 2 Volts we purchased

by ztirffritz from Yakima, WA on Thu Sep 15 2016

My wife's aged Camry had 230,000 miles on it. It was time to let it go. She wanted fuel efficiency and minimized carbon footprint. The Prius was the obvious choice, but the Volt kept rising to the top of the list as we clarified the selection criteria. We finally found one that fit the criteria for price, miles, and distance away. We drove to Seattle and picked it up. We drove back almost entirely powered by gasoline to the top of Snoqualmie pass because the battery was depleted. As we came down the other side the battery recharged and we ran in electric mode much of the rest of the way home. We're averaging 110mpg so far but I expect that to go up as we haven't had to burn any gasoline since then.

One heck of a car!

by george from cedar rapids, ia on Tue May 02 2017

My second one. This car is great!!! , most days, I never use any gas driving over 40 miles. Whole months go by with no stops at the local gas station.

New purchase after long research

by Levi from Athens, GA on Mon Jun 05 2017

After comparing many electric vehicles, I chose this vehicle because of range anxiety. I drove the Leaf, I3, Prius Plugin, Fiat 500E, and couldn't fit in the Smart electric. I just wasn't sold that those ranges of ~80ish would meet my needs. So I looked at the I3 with range extender, but for the money, the Volt drove better and was quieter inside.

Chevy Volt is an excellent commuting car

by Russ from St. Louis, MO on Sun Nov 19 2017

The Chevy Volt is a perfect car for commuting in an urban area. My commute back and forth to work is a bit over 40 miles per day and I rarely use any gas. The Volt has been very dependable and is fun to drive. It also performs very well in rainy and snowy conditions due to the heavy batteries.

1 2

Our Take on the 2015 Chevrolet Volt

Editor's note: This review was written in July 2014 about the 2014 Chevrolet Volt. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2015, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Although the Chevrolet Volt has received a big price cut, it still retains its novel extended-range electric car abilities — as well as its poor visibility, questionable touch-sensitive panels and cramped interior.

It's been a while since we got a close look at the Chevrolet Volt, General Motors' original plug-in hybrid electric car. It's a novel hatchback that debuted to mixed reviews from the press and public a few years ago, and in that time the Volt... Read More