Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 PT Cruiser

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

$609 - $7,697  MSRP Range
2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser?

2004 Touring PT cruiser non turbo

by Dino from Long Island NY on Sun May 02 2010

I love my PT, it's is my far the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I maintain my PT and really take care of it and so far after 56,000 miles not one problem. Somebody I know has one that has over 300,000 miles on it. The PT also has a huge following of enthusiast that have clubs and forums. It's amazing if you have a problem someone will have an answer. The gas mileage could be better but I get around 23 mpg and will get 29mpg on highway trips which is what my Toyota used to give me without the smile factor the PT gives me. I really enjoy driving again. I will be sad to see the end of the PT cruiser.

touring turbo

by G man from los angeles California on Thu Jan 19 2012

I bought it use on 06 with 32,000 miles, great Overall is a great car. Poor mileage for being a small car, but great to drive. Response great, I have a heavy feet I have never been disappointed on the performance I have race vs mustangs and wana be racers and have smoke them, also a great head turner having that said the cons about the car is checking the oil levels as the turbo wil eat the motor oil and lead to head gasket problem I can't blame the car its the owner fault. I'll definitely keep my car forever I love this car. I have own other cars before and they can't compared to this car I use this car for going to work and local commute just check ur oil levels every month and u will do great

Would buy another in a heartbeat

by 04 cruiser owner from Cincinnati, OH on Tue Mar 01 2016

I bought an 04 cruiser in 05 and I'm still driving it, and I still love it. The back is versatile with lay down or removable seats, it's big enough that my 90 lb dog has more than enough room to ride comfortably, and it's big enough I have hauled a dresser in it. My only complaint is it has a rather wide turn radius when doing a 3 point turn. In the 11 years I've had it, I've only had to change out the battery once, and do regular maintenance on it. i.e....new brake pads, oil change.

Great car

by PT Owner from Altoona, FL on Tue Jan 04 2011

This is one of the best cars I have owned in its class. I have had no issues with it and have kept it maintained. It has been driven on lots of trips and is enjoyable to own. The gas mileage is not what some people expect (22mpg), but it handles very well in sand (Florida) and in snow (Michigan). The body style makes it easy to see traffic and there are no real blind spots. I would buy another one in a heartbeat; I have owned this car from day one.

So far no problems!

by Chevy Venture owner from Omaha, NE on Mon May 18 2009

I bought this car used with 18K miles in July '08. I've put 16K on it in 10 months. It has the turbo, which was one of the main reasons I bought it. But, what I didn't research, was the MPG. It got 17-19 in the city and 20 or so on the highway...ouch! After I change the plugs (which you are supposed to do every 30K) with Autolite platinums, my mileage went up to 22-23 on the highway. The plugs are extremely easy to replace...just like most 4 cylinders. The rear drum brakes make a lot of noise. I took it to the dealer, twice, but rather than try different brake pads, I decided to live with the noise and the 60% life left on the current pads. I was told the squeaking had to do with the E-brake. Not sure if I believe it. The car has the sport suspension and has a lot of get up and go with the turbo. It drives like a tank and feels solid. I love how it handles. Like everyone else, I could complain about the turning radius, but won't. You just have to get used to it. It should be interesting when it comes time to working on anything under the hood! There's no room under there! I imagine I'll have to remove a fender just to get to some of the parts along the engine belt area. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, it should be no big deal, but I'm sure it will cost you a pretty penny if you have to pay a mechanic for his/her time!

Excellent Chrysler product

by Paul from on Mon Mar 17 2014

I purchased this PT Cruiser GT brand new in 2004 and never once regretted this decision. The car looks amazing and has power to spare. The heated leather seats quickly become one of my wife's favorite features. The interior is very roomy and adaptable. The rear seats can be folded, rotated forward, or removed from the vehicle entirely to allow room for large items. The front passenger seat can fold flat for additional room or as a flat surface for laptops, etc. Fuel economy has been fair (and within Chrysler's estimates)with mixed driving averaging 25mpg.Highway driving has been a little over 28mpg.

A fine PT Cruiser

by ABRL from Athens, Greece on Wed Jul 19 2006

It is a really cool ride. It's fuel efficient, never caused me any trouble, looks really cool with all that chrome glowing and it 's fast enough! I love my ride and its unique American styling!

I have the perfect car for me.

by Marilynn from Warsaw, NY on Wed May 03 2017

This car does everything I need it to do. I have wanted a PT Cruiser for a long time. It can haul quite a bit, has plenty of room for family and I don't have to sit on a pillow to see where I'm going. It's old, yes, but rides well, gets good gas mileage, everything works, has a new paint job and the interior has been well kept. The fact that it's front-wheel drive is a bonus here in the North. Yes, I'm a Baby Boomer and the style resonates with me from my very early childhood but so far it is a very reliable car and does everything I need/want it to do. I am happy with my choice.

Worst car I have ever owned

by Drrock00 from West Allis, WI on Wed Aug 02 2017

This car has been nothing but problems since I purchased it. Every repair id's very expensive due to having to take everything apart to get to the engine. Even to change a light bulb you must take of a wheel and go through the quarter panel. Poorly designed and not reliable.

Does not recommend this car!!

Turbo HO

by wecycle from cntral CA on Thu Aug 02 2012

15 flat 1/4 mile Had to tighten the setscrew on the shift knob. Needed new front brake pads at 85,000 miles The timing belt replacement was abear of a job.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

Ragtop PT Cruiser a blast to drive

If you're looking for a sweet little ride for this summer's Woodward Dream Cruise, look no further than the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser convertible. At least that's what Anita says.

She's convinced that the newest convertible to hit the market has the potential to attract both sexes -- something that doesn't seem to be the case with competitors like the Volkswagen New Beetle convertible.

However, Paul is not in agreement. He gives the PT Cruiser convertible only a middle-of-the-road grade and calls it a "chick car." He also happens to love the Beetle convertible.

We drove a top-of-the-line GT turbo version of the PT Cruiser convertible priced at... Read More