2004 PT Cruiser

4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

2004 Touring PT cruiser non turbo

by Dino from Long Island NY on May 2, 2010

I love my PT, it's is my far the most comfortable car I have ever owned. I maintain my PT and really take care of it and so far after 56,000 miles not one problem. Somebody I know has one that has over 300,000 miles on it. The PT also has a huge following of enthusiast that have clubs and forums. It's amazing if you have a problem someone will have an answer. The gas mileage could be better but I get around 23 mpg and will get 29mpg on highway trips which is what my Toyota used to give me without the smile factor the PT gives me. I really enjoy driving again. I will be sad to see the end of the PT cruiser.

touring turbo

by G man from los angeles California on January 19, 2012

I bought it use on 06 with 32,000 miles, great Overall is a great car. Poor mileage for being a small car, but great to drive. Response great, I have a heavy feet I have never been disappointed on the performance I have race vs mustangs and wana be racers and have smoke them, also a great head turner having that said the cons about the car is checking the oil levels as the turbo wil eat the motor oil and lead to head gasket problem I can't blame the car its the owner fault. I'll definitely keep my car forever I love this car. I have own other cars before and they can't compared to this car I use this car for going to work and local commute just check ur oil levels every month and u will do great

Would buy another in a heartbeat

by 04 cruiser owner from Cincinnati, OH on March 1, 2016

I bought an 04 cruiser in 05 and I'm still driving it, and I still love it. The back is versatile with lay down or removable seats, it's big enough that my 90 lb dog has more than enough room to ride comfortably, and it's big enough I have hauled a dresser in it. My only complaint is it has a rather wide turn radius when doing a 3 point turn. In the 11 years I've had it, I've only had to change out the battery once, and do regular maintenance on it. i.e....new brake pads, oil change.

So far no problems!

by Chevy Venture owner from Omaha, NE on May 18, 2009

I bought this car used with 18K miles in July '08. I've put 16K on it in 10 months. It has the turbo, which was one of the main reasons I bought it. But, what I didn't research, was the MPG. It got 17-19 in the city and 20 or so on the highway...ouch! After I change the plugs (which you are supposed to do every 30K) with Autolite platinums, my mileage went up to 22-23 on the highway. The plugs are extremely easy to replace...just like most 4 cylinders. The rear drum brakes make a lot of noise. I took it to the dealer, twice, but rather than try different brake pads, I decided to live with the noise and the 60% life left on the current pads. I was told the squeaking had to do with the E-brake. Not sure if I believe it. The car has the sport suspension and has a lot of get up and go with the turbo. It drives like a tank and feels solid. I love how it handles. Like everyone else, I could complain about the turning radius, but won't. You just have to get used to it. It should be interesting when it comes time to working on anything under the hood! There's no room under there! I imagine I'll have to remove a fender just to get to some of the parts along the engine belt area. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, it should be no big deal, but I'm sure it will cost you a pretty penny if you have to pay a mechanic for his/her time!

Great car

by PT Owner from Altoona, FL on January 4, 2011

This is one of the best cars I have owned in its class. I have had no issues with it and have kept it maintained. It has been driven on lots of trips and is enjoyable to own. The gas mileage is not what some people expect (22mpg), but it handles very well in sand (Florida) and in snow (Michigan). The body style makes it easy to see traffic and there are no real blind spots. I would buy another one in a heartbeat; I have owned this car from day one.

PT cruiser GT high output

by CRJ Driver from East Hampton, NY on December 20, 2010

Great car. The 2.4L turbo high output engine has all the power I need. It is faster off the line then most other cars. The only draw back is the High Output 2.4l Turbo requires premium fuel. 91 octate is recommended. The book says you can run 87 in it, but they don't recommend it. I sometimes put mid-grade 89 in it, but if you "floor it" and get the turbo spinning fast you can hear the slightest "ping" from the engine. Therefor I mostly use premium.

Cute little bug-ererer!

by cj from Sacramento, California on March 11, 2008

A truly nice car! It is also fun to drive... I love the color and for long travel.....it does great! The seats are comfortable and gas milage is good, too!

A fine PT Cruiser

by ABRL from Athens, Greece on July 19, 2006

It is a really cool ride. It's fuel efficient, never caused me any trouble, looks really cool with all that chrome glowing and it 's fast enough! I love my ride and its unique American styling!

Excellent Chrysler product

by Paul from on March 17, 2014

I purchased this PT Cruiser GT brand new in 2004 and never once regretted this decision. The car looks amazing and has power to spare. The heated leather seats quickly become one of my wife's favorite features. The interior is very roomy and adaptable. The rear seats can be folded, rotated forward, or removed from the vehicle entirely to allow room for large items. The front passenger seat can fold flat for additional room or as a flat surface for laptops, etc. Fuel economy has been fair (and within Chrysler's estimates)with mixed driving averaging 25mpg.Highway driving has been a little over 28mpg.

I have the perfect car for me.

by Marilynn from Warsaw, NY on May 3, 2017

This car does everything I need it to do. I have wanted a PT Cruiser for a long time. It can haul quite a bit, has plenty of room for family and I don't have to sit on a pillow to see where I'm going. It's old, yes, but rides well, gets good gas mileage, everything works, has a new paint job and the interior has been well kept. The fact that it's front-wheel drive is a bonus here in the North. Yes, I'm a Baby Boomer and the style resonates with me from my very early childhood but so far it is a very reliable car and does everything I need/want it to do. I am happy with my choice.

1 2 3 4 5