Read or write a review.

3.5
Average based on 2 reviews

Dependable Box On Four Wheels

by from Toronto, ON on February 2, 2007

I got my 93 Caravan back in spring of 2002 with 274 k (abt 170 k mi). It was the 142 HP 3.0L V6. The ride was comfortable, typical for Dodge. The engine was potent and seemed to be as powerful as the 3.3L 180 HP V6 I have in my current 2002 Grand Caravan. The previous (1st) owner's been putting in a fully synthetic Castrol Syntex and I continued in that tradition. That's probably the main reason the engine was as good as new. There was a 3 speed automatic tranny (the original 4 speed was replaced at about 200 k) which worked very well. The fuel consumption ranged from 9L (26 MPG) on the highway (summer) to abt 13.8L (17 MPG) in the city (winter). Usually I averaged 9.8 - 12.4 L (19-24 MPG). The exterior has a "box-ish" shape, it doesn't stand out but it's still better than that of Ford Aerostar. Interior is spartan, feels cheap but is functional. The Caravan I had was a base model with very few features. It lacked AC, ABS, nothing was powered, it only had 1 driver's airbag, 4 speaker stereo. Not impressive. The Caravan proved to be very reliable throughout it's lifespan of 315 k (abt 195 k mi) (1st owner and me 1993-2004). The before mentioned tranny, several tie rod & ball joint changes, alternator, rear springs, muffler, breaks and shocks were replaced. The total cost of repairs (many of which are wear-n-tear) was about $4300 CAD (I had the service records from the 1st owner available). That's only $390 CAD/year (315 000 km - 11 years), $32.5/month, just over $1/day or 1.36 cents per 1km! (does not include oil changes, gasoline costs nor insurance) Many others (especially Ford Windstar) accumulate $4300 worth of repairs in a year (not to mention 11) I see this as an incredible value for the money. The only weak spot is the transmission and if the vehicle has been cared for (by previous owners). Otherwise you have nothing to worry about!

a reliable vehicle

by from Rhode Island on March 21, 2007

It's a good car for the money. I would recommend it to everyone who wants a good car for a good price.

Similar Models

Select up to three models to compare with the 1993 dodge caravan

You have selected maximum of 3 cars

Remove one of these cars to add others or compare the below cars now.