Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1998 Durango

1998 Dodge Durango

$224 - $6,084  MSRP Range
1998 Dodge Durango

4.1

Have You Driven the 1998 Dodge Durango?

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

by durangoneal from Queens, NY on Sun May 01 2016

This is one awesome truck. I have owned this truck for the past 16 years. I love the styling, performance and handling. I am an ASE master technician and with the exception of a differential and transmission rebuild, I have done all of the maintenance myself. Truck is painted chili pepper red and body is still gorgeous after emerging from car wash. The torsion bar front and leaf spring rear suspension suits my driving style to a T. 4 wheel drive is bulletproof. I don't like vehicles with soft, sloppy suspensions. Transmission came out of truck for first time @ 226,000miles! Engine still runs strong, no oil burning, no smoking! This is one strong, tough truck. Dodge hit a home run with this one and I seriously doubt the newer models can match this level of reliability.

it's reliable

by rea from DC on Sun May 01 2011

I own one it's a nice vehicle to have and it wont let you down on the side of the road as others has stated. I would buy one again in a heart beat.

Excellent

by NCOR Durango from Thomasville, NC on Fri Jun 13 2014

I have owned 2 1998 Dodge Durango SLT's with the 5.9 liter engine. I loved both of these beautiful SUVs. For the fuel mileage I get awesome gas mileage as long as you keep it tuned and taken care of it will take care of you. Performance wise I installed a k&n typhoon intake on the 5.9 it only took 30 minutes to install and I get increased horsepower/Torque/and fuel mileage. Overall I am very happy with my choice one purchasing a 1998 Dodge Durango SLT

Awesome car

by Make mine a 4x4 from Lindsay, CA on Tue Feb 22 2011

This has to have been the best car I have owned. It was a 4x4 and just could never get it stuck!! It has electric windows, power locks, cruise, 3-rd row seating, grey/cloth interior, back/ceiling air, loads of room for everyone and everything. This one also has a rack on top. I needed to tow, so had a good tow hitch put on with electrical for lights. For getting out and about, this was the best!!

So far my 1998 Durango is doing very well

by NubianQueen from Ca on Thu Jul 26 2018

I've only had it for two weeks but so far so good I love it the only thing I hate is the GAS! Only thing I need is a oil change and brakes other than that I don't have any check engine light on or anything

very stron car

by carlos on Fri Feb 16 2018

its reliable and very strong.love the 4x4 and great for camping.all seats roll down for sleeping or more bag space.only when traveling 8 passengers the trunk is not as big for logage but the sliding ruff rack make up for it.

First dodge i bought

by first dodge from canton, oh on Mon Feb 18 2008

I purchased my 98 durango used (137,000 miles). I now have 169,000 on it and had some normal expected repairs on it. Replacing the rear shocks now, which i cant complain because we have used off road and for towing. The only major down fall I am having is the transmission just starting slipping. it slips when i first take off (doesnt wanna go into second gear) but after it warms up it shifts fine. Aside from the crazy gas i have to put in it I can say i honestly love my durango. Definitly when i get rid of it will get another durango or ram! LOVE DODGE!

NLHJacob from PA

by NLHJ from PA on Sun Jul 30 2006

I bought the Durango to be safe, and my kids and I are safe. The Durango drives beautifully, very comfortable, very high up and the 4 wheel drive can handle anything! The other person who reviewed this truck said "good on gas"...NO, it is not. Very poor actually. 25 gal. tank...$3.07 per gallon...I got 244 miles on a full tank...that is NOT good. 12-13 city miles per gallon. An 8 cyl. vehicle is a lot of weight...therefore uses a lot of gas. I love my Durango, feel great driving it, but trading it in for a 21 city mile per gallon mini van. Would I recommend it, yes I would...if you can handle the gas! Great truck...will miss it!

good large suv

by raytown tow from KC MO. on Tue May 31 2011

have had this suv for 7 years and it has never left me stranded.. I have towed and hauled people as well as towed people out of ditches and it still keeps running well. The only problem with a large suv is the gas mileage 13 city 18 hiway.

best suv ever

by mopar from on Tue Mar 22 2011

excellent handling,you can feel the power when you drive,low maintenance,comfortable....1 of dodge best

1 2 3

Our Take on the 1998 Dodge Durango

Want to feel like you're wearing a suit of armor? You'll get that sensation driving the 1998 Dodge Durango, Chrysler's answer to slightly bigger sport-utility vehicles such as the Ford Expedition and Chevrolet Tahoe.

The Dodge Durango, which bears two venerable names out of the old West, is imposing - and cumbersome. And therein lies its charm. It does exactly what a sport-utility is supposed to do, and even provides seating for up to eight passengers.

We're predicting it's going to be a huge success. But that doesn't mean we necessarily give it our seal of approval.

She: The Durango is so hip, so right on that when you read the $33,200 window sticker on our test vehicle, you notice little touches... Read More