1999 Durango

4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

Durango SLT

by durangodude from Sault Ste. Marie, MI on February 11, 2009

I bought a Durango in good old Michigan about a year ago. I LOVE it! My only beef is that it is a gas destroyer! We get snow in MI so the gas is kind of worth the drive ability it has. It handles the roads NICE. It doesn't like to shift into overdrive either unless I let it warm up a bit. When the temp. is below zero I can't be too upset though.

Great SUV!!!!!!!!

by mother_of_three from on August 26, 2011

I went from a 2000 Honda Accord LX, which I loved to death, to a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT. I unfortunately totaled my Accord and I was devastated. I wasn't looking into an SUV after the accident, I was originally looking for a Volvo XC70. When I had finally found one that I loved I went to the dealer to buy it. I'm VERY glad that they had sold it the day before and that they had directed me toward the Durango. I bought my Durango in July of '05 and have loved it ever since. My husband loved it so much he went out and bought his own this year (also a '99 SLT)!!!! Sadly the expenses of all of the work that it needs is too much for me. My Durango Has given me a great 6 years and I don't think I'll ever go back to a sedan.

Deal of a life

by bassmaster from poconos, pa on April 28, 2007

I found a 1999 Durango SLT, 37K, for $9K...CLEAN inside & out. I had to see and drive it, purchased it, so far excellent. PLENTY of cargo and passenger space (front and rear). Not bad on fuel for a 318 V8.

Big Family Mountain Powered Beast

by raw24 from Akron Ohio on September 17, 2012

Took this truck on many trips with up to 8 people through mountains and flat lands across America. My 1999 Durango SLT has 129k miles and still going strong. The computers in these give many people problems due to heat issues. I recently replaced the original at 128k miles. The hood scoops in many I believe help to solve this problem through improved air flow in the engine compartment. If your throwing crazy engine codes this could be your problem. I been keeping maintenance up and this baby drives great and sounds awesome with lots of power. The leather seats are very comfortable and premium sounds system is great. Lots of room with third row seating. Only negative I would say is that the steering is controlled through a gear box instead of the newer rack and pinion design. One side of the gears are starting to wear on mine and giving it a bit more play than I would like but not bad after 130k miles. Overall I would rate this as one of my favorites all time SUV's.

I love my durango !

by miranda from Portland , Oregon on December 12, 2014

My husband decided to buy me a car that would fit both of our kids in and he got in a 1999 dodge Durango. I love my Durango. It is the prefect size for our family of 4 .I love the way it looks on the outside and the inside. It is very easy to drive and very cozy to ride in. Since we got it there has been no issues. It is a wonderful family car. I am more then happy that we got it. Then you can never go wrong with a dodge :-)

im kind of biased. i like dodges.

by pleased from spencer, tn on June 4, 2012

I owned a Dodge Durango many years ago and I am just as pleased with this one as i was with that one. They are the same years just different motors. I will check this website again when in the market to buy another vehicle. Thank you cars.com. Sincerely, Pleased

Great value, style, reliability! Poor fuel economy

by Dueljet210 from Cedarburg, WI on June 2, 2018

I have had this truck for a long, long time and have had few issues with it. What issues that I have had are all related to the destructive forces of road salt that my local government needlessly dumps on the roads. I am going to buy another one from the south when this one is too rusty to service (too bad, only have 98,000 miles on it). I am 6'3" and love the head and leg room that it offers. It also pulls and stops very well with medium size trailer in tow. The interior is typical Chrysler - plasticy, but well laid out. The 318cu engine is thirsty but strong. I also love the exterior styling!

Uses car for Towing

Worst reliability of 10 vehicles I have owned

by Frank from Raleigh, NC on February 26, 2018

We liked the 1999 Durango even though it was a gas hog. It was comfortable, solid and quiet inside. Seating seven made it great for transporting kids. However, even though the dealer did all of the scheduled maintenance, after about 50K miles it was one thing after another. So far all lines (brake, fuel, transmission, cooling, AC) have been replaced or repaired. We had mysterious electrical problems with doors, windows, dashboard and sound system with costs totaling thousands of $s for labor and parts. Then the Durango would just shut off when we were driving down the road. It took several trips to the dealer and $$$ before they fixed the shutdown problem and it happened twice again a few years later. The ball joints failed prematurely which is a known problem with the 1999 Durango. At this point with 135K miles on it: - Have to disconnect the battery after using or it will be dead in three days because of mysterious current drains that shouldn't happen with the key out of the ignition - The sound system sounds like it is being tortured. - Hardly any air comes out of the Heating/cooling system even with the blower on full (the back seat ceiling mounted AC still works great). - The transmission is having some problems shifting. - The universal joints have worn out - The steering is loose - The valve covers are leaking oil We have a 2005 Prius. It has 200K miles on it. In the beginning there were a few dealer recalls that were fixed for free. Since then we only had to replace the auxiliary battery (the small one) and have the hybrid battery reconditioned and some cells replaced in 2015 for about $1.5K and that's it! The Prius is the most reliable vehicle we have ever owned. The Durango...the worst.

Does not recommend this car!!

The absolute best vehicle I've ever driven

by Batgirl09 from waverly tn on August 12, 2017

The Durango had everything I wanted and everything I needed. Lots of power and room for all my needs

Best car we have owned

by Rknotts from Kingwood WV on November 11, 2017

This car has everything I was looking for we mainly needed a 4wd, we got 2 bonuses, it has a tow hitch & 3rd row seating, & it runs & drives great, I love this car couldn't be more happier

1 2 3