2004 Dodge Durango

04 Durango SLT 4x2 Hemi

by from St Louis, MO on June 10, 2013

The Bad: The 04 Durango has an issue w/ the engine (at least it does on the 5.7L Hemi engine). It appears as if the intake manifold gaskets break down and the windshield cowl allows water to seap into the engine, often causing a thrown rod, etc. It is evidenced during moderate to heavy rain as the engine will shake and sputter or even stall. There are several examples of this throughout the net, so please do your research before you decide to purchase (consider running the prospective vehicle through a car wash before purchasing to see if the engine shudders). The Good: The issue described above seems to have mostly only affected the 04 model. The cowls can be replaced with better models to limit the amount of water that gets to the engine (to varying degrees of success), and I imagine with a gasket replacement, this should solve the issue. I really like the Durango...so much so, that I am planning on purchasing an 05 model. I've enjoyed everything about the vehicle save how it runs in the rain. It rides very well, and is capable of carrying mixed loads of passengers and cargo easily. I use it as my daily driver, and have used it to tow various loads. So long as you take care of the issue described above, I think you'll find it to be a great vehicle at a bargain of similar sized vehicles.

Best car I have owned!!!

by from atlanta GA on August 4, 2012

The durango has exceeded my expectations...I used to have a sports car but needed a SUV since I had a baby on the way I was looking into durangos for some time I LOVE THE WAY THE 04s AND UP LOOK! I found a great deal on one for 6500 dollars with 99,000 miles it was just awesome looking so I bought it. It drove so strong so smooth so quiet it was the best ride of my life I have driven big SUVs and pick ups but this vehicle surprise me...and for 17 miles to the gallon is not bad for a "tank" looking SUV this is by far the best vehicle

04 Durango

by from Kansas City on February 5, 2011

Great vehicle. Had to replace radiator, so be sure to do recommended maintenance. 108k miles. Noisey on the road.

Most reliable, highest quality SUV available.

by from White Plains, NY on July 10, 2007

We've driven two previous generation Dodge Durango's, a 98' and 01'. The new Durango, which was updated in 2004, was made by Daimler-Chrysler and it is very apparent in the new interior and exterior design and styling, as well as it's handling and high reliability. The fact that it has MDS, or Multi-displacement system is a huge bonus. The MDS automatically shuts down the engine cylinders from 8 cylinders to 4,while driving at highway speeds, saving gas and money at the pump. We recently had to replace the rack and pinion system, which was covered under the original warranty, most likely due to having several speed bumps in our complex. We average 18 mpg on the highway and 15 mpg around town. Unfortunately our lease is ending soon and we aren't looking forward to turning in our Dodge Durango Limited.

Good ride Bad on gas

by from Virginia on March 25, 2013

The car looks good and rides good. I have the v8 Hemi so it definitely is not the best on gas. That's the only down side. I recommend this car if you don't have a problem forking out gas money!

Love it

by from New Mexico on July 31, 2010

I got my Durango used about 5 months ago. It rides smooth and quietly and love the feel and look. I am impressed they even made adjustable pedals for shorts girls like me, thank you. I am amazed how much room there is. When the time comes for a new SUV I am buying a Durango.

Best Tow/Family SUV For The Frugal Driver

by from Denver, CO on May 1, 2014

After doing a lot of research I bought the 2004 Dodge Durango AWD with the 5.7l HEMI. This SUV is a BEAST with a tow capacity of 8,950lb and third row seating I've been able to take the family plus friends to the lake while towing our boat and had room for the dogs! I've owned my Durango for 4 years and haven't had a single problem with it, although if you are in the market keep in mind this vehicle drinks a lot of gas (as do all 8 cyl SUV's).

04' DD

by from Central Oregon on January 27, 2015

This is one of the best I've driven. The 2004 Dodge Durango with 4.7 L and all wheel drive is hands down one of the best SUV's in the country. sure footed and handles like no other. bucket seats up front and two rows of seating in the back make this the perfect vehicle for all. I will always own one. Thanks Dodge. I use this for every purpose, off and on road, camping, hunting, traveling, family, work etc. #1.

Its pretty good

by from Kentucky on December 15, 2012

The car is really pretty and powerful. It is very fun to have. The only thing i dont like is i just had to have it fixed because of a pint problem, these cars are too new to have rust and ive seen some with the same problem. Best car ever overall, i like it better than the Yukon.

THE BEST SUV OF 2004

by from Los angeles CA on February 25, 2016

It is the best SUV 2004 and has very good performance thanks to the engine 5.7 and has a beautiful exterior design.

Our Expert Review: 2004 Dodge Durango