2004 Durango

2004 Dodge Durango

2004 Dodge Durango

4.2

Have You Driven the 2004 Dodge Durango?

04 Durango SLT 4x2 Hemi

by A little disappointed from St Louis, MO on Mon Jun 10 2013

The Bad: The 04 Durango has an issue w/ the engine (at least it does on the 5.7L Hemi engine). It appears as if the intake manifold gaskets break down and the windshield cowl allows water to seap into the engine, often causing a thrown rod, etc. It is evidenced during moderate to heavy rain as the engine will shake and sputter or even stall. There are several examples of this throughout the net, so please do your research before you decide to purchase (consider running the prospective vehicle through a car wash before purchasing to see if the engine shudders). The Good: The issue described above seems to have mostly only affected the 04 model. The cowls can be replaced with better models to limit the amount of water that gets to the engine (to varying degrees of success), and I imagine with a gasket replacement, this should solve the issue. I really like the Durango...so much so, that I am planning on purchasing an 05 model. I've enjoyed everything about the vehicle save how it runs in the rain. It rides very well, and is capable of carrying mixed loads of passengers and cargo easily. I use it as my daily driver, and have used it to tow various loads. So long as you take care of the issue described above, I think you'll find it to be a great vehicle at a bargain of similar sized vehicles.

04 Durango

by myzetti from Kansas City on Sat Feb 05 2011

Great vehicle. Had to replace radiator, so be sure to do recommended maintenance. 108k miles. Noisey on the road.

Keeps chuggin along

by Scifiction1 on Tue Jun 26 2018

I bought a 2004 Durango in 2009 used with about 70,000 miles on it... I still have it to this day with 257,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ!! I have the SLT trim so it has the 4.7l V8, and it's got power for 14 mpg. It is very spacious on the inside as opposed to the new dodge journeys. It's got nice handling for such a big car too!!!

04' DD

by Andy from Central Oregon on Tue Jan 27 2015

This is one of the best I've driven. The 2004 Dodge Durango with 4.7 L and all wheel drive is hands down one of the best SUV's in the country. sure footed and handles like no other. bucket seats up front and two rows of seating in the back make this the perfect vehicle for all. I will always own one. Thanks Dodge. I use this for every purpose, off and on road, camping, hunting, traveling, family, work etc. #1.

Love it

by stymie from New Mexico on Sat Jul 31 2010

I got my Durango used about 5 months ago. It rides smooth and quietly and love the feel and look. I am impressed they even made adjustable pedals for shorts girls like me, thank you. I am amazed how much room there is. When the time comes for a new SUV I am buying a Durango.

Good ride Bad on gas

by Good Girl from Virginia on Mon Mar 25 2013

The car looks good and rides good. I have the v8 Hemi so it definitely is not the best on gas. That's the only down side. I recommend this car if you don't have a problem forking out gas money!

Its pretty good

by Dur123 from Kentucky on Sat Dec 15 2012

The car is really pretty and powerful. It is very fun to have. The only thing i dont like is i just had to have it fixed because of a pint problem, these cars are too new to have rust and ive seen some with the same problem. Best car ever overall, i like it better than the Yukon.

This is the most durable vehicle. Great space.

by Maja from Bloomfield Hills on Wed Jul 25 2018

This is an excellent vehicle to own, that you don't have to worry about, never had a problem, engine takes off like brand new, I feel safe always, 4WD Excellent in snow, a very reliable vehicle. I want an engine with great speed, it handles the job, very well, a solid investment and vehicle.

Most Fun SUV I have driven so far

by RicktyT from Alexandria VA on Tue Jan 02 2018

the handling of this custom is car like. the engine is powerful and soft when riding it. it is the most quiet and soft driving I have ever done

LOVE IT

by Shawnte from Georgia on Fri Jul 28 2006

I love my Durango. A car hit me on the side and my Durango was very durable. I was safe and my kids were safe. I have excellent space and it is very comfortable. It drives like a car, but sit high and visible as a SUV. I LOVE IT!!! My truck is bigger than most and easy to handle. I drive 45 miles one way to work and the gas mileage is WONDERFUL!! Once I fill it up it last me at least 4 days on a 100 mile a day travel. I would recommend it to anybody especially if you have KIDS

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2004 Dodge Durango

I hate to play the gender card, but from the get-go I am suspicious that this might be more of a guy's car than a mom-mobile. I've had several men tell me, "You really need to test out that new Dodge Durango with the Hemi. That thing's sweet."

What is a Hemi? Does it make carpooling easier? Will it keep my kids' sippy cups from leaking on the seats? No? Well then, what's it good for?

Loading the car seats requires some tricky maneuvering. Climbing up into the Durango via the running boards results in a nice dirt spot on the front of my clean slacks. My test vehicle arrived with a standard third-row seat. Of course, my 3-year-old wants to sit in the "way back," so I flip and fold the second row and... Read More