2001 Intrepid

3.6 out of 5 starsPerformance
4.5 out of 5 starsExterior Styling
3.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Best all around car I've owned

by Like this Dodge from Indianapolis, IN on July 9, 2009

Very comfortable car - rides smoothly and is a great road car. Mileage on the road is 29-30 mpg and gets about 20 - 21 mpg in town. Acceleration is average - nothing to brag about. Purchased car used (rental) with 26K miles on it. Now has 120k and is going strong. Minor issues like an oil leak via the that sensor needing replaced. Car sits low which is a plus driving - low drag, etc. but as I get older a bit of an issue getting in and out. Overall it has been a very good vehicle requiring just good basic maintenance.

Lousy 2.7 engine

by GTO fan from Lebanon, PA on September 4, 2008

Great looking car, but were just told the engine needs replaced. Has 104,000 miles on it. Our mechanic told us these are notorious for that. He found metal fragments in the oil, said this isn't the first one he's encountered. It started out with a tapping sound, like the engine was low on oil, but it wasn't. Tapping would go away, but come back. Came back with a vengeance a couple weeks ago, wasn't exactly the "death knock", but might as well have been. We bought this used, wish I had known they have this problem. The body of the car is still in great shape, love the looks, the shape, just don't know if it's worth putting another motor in. Will not put another 2.7 in though. That is entirely too small for that size car. My wife loves the car and will miss it.

Completely Satisfied

by Travel'n man from Sacramento, CA on December 5, 2008

My Intrepid has turned out to be a real gem! The great looks are obvious, but it has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Never had a major repair and still runs great, no issues with the engine at all. It could use a little more power with the 2.7 L V6, but with 29 MPG on the Hwy, I can live with it. No problem getting onto the freeway or passing anyone. This car has super comfortable seats in roomy cabin and a big trunk. It also has lots of premium features for a car in this price range. Definitely would reccomend this car to a friend. Everything you could want in a dependable family car with some STYLE!

2002 Intrepid R/T's

by Mr. Intrepid from Albany, N.Y on July 13, 2012

The nickname is real... I've had 3 '02 Intrepid R/T's, a 2000 R/T, and, a 2002 ES, and 1994 Base Model Intrepid - ALL w/ 3.5l, or 3.5l H.O. (R/T's) engines. No 2.7l's. All were bought used w/ less than 30,000 1-owner miles, except the original '94, ordered (to get a 3.5l engine) new on 10/18/93 (delivered on 12/09/93), and 1 '02 R/T bought w/ 67k. Other than test drives of other cars, and work suplied vehicles, I've driven only Intrepids, by choice, since 12/93, and only R/T's, since 2/04. Maintenance can get expensive on Intrepids, because they last so long. (201k+, 113k, & 108k at accident loss, on 3, and 131k on the over heated loss, all still going strong, 'til being killed) However, the only non-maintenance item ever needed was a new engine due to rapid total coolant loss, and trying to make the next exit in 93 degree weather. (It was only another 1.3 mi., but, when I stopped her, she never ran again.) Repairmen claim the 3.5's were "pretty much bulletproof... UNLESS you really overheat them." The '02 R/T's were the epitome of the Dodge Intrepid line; all Intrepids having excellent styling, capacity and handling, esp. for their size -- the R/T's took things up a notch, w/ stiffer suspensions; wider 225/70-17 tires (vs. 225/60-16); upgraded, faster-response steering pumps; and, a 244 H.P., 250 ft/lbs of torque H.O. uprade to the 234 H.P./248 torque standard 3.5l, using short/long fuel rail technology. Any of the 3.5l engines moved the Intrepids well... the H.O. engines also did it relatively effortlessly (55 mph never reaching 1700 rpm, 65 @ about 21-2200 rpm; and on rolling type roadways, not flat), w/ better gas mileage in actual usage, than the standard 3.5's, in the ES and (upgraded) base models. Why go for the '02? They were the last of the breed (only 2000 - '02), and benefited from all earlier improvements, incl. the highest H.P. & torque, and, even gas mileage w/ continual refinements to the computers for the manumatic transmission and fuel delivery programs. Plus, while the standard equipment list was already the longest on R/T's over any other trim, starting w/ an ES, and then adding upgrades; but, most "options" that were available on '00 & '01 R/T's (not the moonroof, leather seating, CD-changer or full-size spare, but, everything else), actually became standard on the '02. Why did I have so many? During 2008-10, I was "overtaken" (the other vehicle moves into the lane you occupy, where you occupy it!), by a tractor-trailer, a huge honkin', blinged-out Escalade, an appliance delivery "box" truck, and a small (but, not a van) school bus. None were my fault, each other driver claimed to not see me there, but, each was in the process of passing me... and, Intrepids are NOT small cars!); however, I still lost a car to each accident, and, immediately set out in search of another. Intrepid R/T's were "replaced" w/ the SXT's, in the latter half of '02, continuing until "04... but, they weren't even close. SXT's started as base models, that were upgraded to better-than-ES suspensions, but not R/T's level, w/ the 3.5l H.O. engine (upped to 250/250), and no manumatic (std. on R/T), was even available, as an option. Anybody out there have a nice 2002 Intrepid R/T, they'd like to sell, now? With the way traffic is getting these days, I'm also afraid to buy anything brand new.

Don't buy it!!!

by Nadia from Kansas City, KS on August 21, 2006

I bought the Intrepid 7 months ago. It's the 2.7L engine, 200hp, it had only 40K miles on it, 1 previous owner, took it to 2 mechanics to check it, and they said it's good. The first thing that happened was an oil leak, which thank God it wasn't from the engine, so with $250 and a new oil pan with seals and what-not can got fixed. Then I had to replace the steering rack! I've never heard of such thing - a car needing a new steering rack!!! At less than 47K miles, it is rediculous! That itself was $850. After that I had to buy a new battery, but that's normal I was told, for a 5 year-old car, but the battery is behind the front passenger tire, so no place was willing to change it for free, since the tire had to come off to change it! How dumb is that? What's even dumber is me buying it because I wanted a big car and I needed it to last me about 4 years, but at the rate I have to fix stuff... I am looking for another car right now. I've researched enough to know (little too late) that my type of engine is notorious with the timing chain snapping, and breaking pistons and messing up the whole engine. Dodge is aware of the problem, but they won't get you a new engine unless it's still under factory warranty (<30K miles)! And that happens right around 60K miles! I love the size, I love the trunk space, I love the design, I love the way it rides...but mechanically - piece of junk! I can't afford to fix it! And the seals on the car itself that go around the doors when you shut them, shrunk and started coming off, so I had to cut them and glue them. It's worth to pay the extra money and get a Honda or Toyota...

Hate the 2.7

by Schwan from on January 17, 2013

This was my first car, I bought it with 149k on it in great condition. I had it for 2 months before I was replacing the water pump which is inside of the engine itself and everything needs to be taken out in order to get to it. After a thousand dollars I got it running again for about a year and then the engine blows on me. Took it too a mechanic and a filter got clogged with slugged and the timing chain broke and bent all of the rods with it. It had a nice ride but, it is just a money pit after awhile

Does not recommend this car!!

Trans and engine are junk

by Intrepid Fan! NOT from Utah on September 8, 2007

I thought this was a great car for the first 50K miles. I am very detailed with my vehicles and get the service done more often then required and pay attention to all details. At 50K I started chasing oil leaks around the engine in various places, a new one this month. At 60K I had to replace the cooling fans ($600 total), then at 65K I had to replace the thermostat which is in a nightmare location at the bottom of the engine ($150). After 50K I couldn't seem to get the alignment right so had to replace the struts ($200). At 50K the transmition started shifting hard and occasionally slipping. At 78K the tranny blew out, ($2600). Now the engine gets hot randomly at times that are not consistent. The computer and the mechanics say that nothing is wrong so I expect that the engine has a sludge problem. I don't want to sell it to someone and have them come back a month later with a blown engine, so what to do? I will never buy a Chrysler product again and am looking at Toyota now. My friend bought the exact same car the month I did and he went through a tranny and his wife blew the engine with an over heating problem on the freeway so his is already in the junk yard. Good luck with yours, I would trade it in as soon as possible, especially if it has the 2.7 engine.

Nicest car I have owned.

by Love My Car from Cincinnati, Ohio on December 6, 2011

The leather interior is nice. The body style is what I like the most, it is sleak! I like that it came with a 4 disc cd player!

Great Car

by Neil from Fayston Vermont on November 28, 2006

I bought this car with 42k, currently have 75k, have changed oil religiously, gave it a poor man's motor flush, two oil changes within 300 miles, runs handles better than most any car I've owned. 23.4 miles per gallon all the time in mixed driving. The interstate is this cars best friend, very, very stable and the aerodynamics really come into play. It has been a great car, very good stereo too.

Great Car!

by RT Driver from Wisconsin on March 22, 2012

We bought the R/T new and have done very little maintenance on it. Handles great in snow w/good triple tread tires and rides real nice. Style is great! Only replacement of water pump and a tie rod in 142,000 miles. Other than that, just general maintenance (e.g., oil changes, belt replacements, flushes, etc.) It just started having issues w/'warm starts' - speculation is something with the sensors. As w/technology...it can't be tested unless they can run diagnostics on it when it is acting up. One could pursue this, but it may be the start to 'trickle maintenance' that may start nickel and diming us. Due to mileage on the car, we are opting to trade it in. Our only complaint is that of others...the location of the battery! One has to have it put up on hoist in order to change the battery. I saw that they are still putting the battery for the 2012 Avenger there. Sure wish they would still manufacture Intrepids. Our choice of car to replace the Intrepid R/T will be the Charger SXT (battery is under the trunk (like the spare tire). Hoping the dealer 'works w/us re:$$$ - Oh so EXPENSIVE!

1 2 3