2001 Intrepid

$856 - $4,916  MSRP Range
2001 Dodge Intrepid

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2001 Dodge Intrepid?

Lousy 2.7 engine

by GTO fan from Lebanon, PA on Thu Sep 04 2008

Great looking car, but were just told the engine needs replaced. Has 104,000 miles on it. Our mechanic told us these are notorious for that. He found metal fragments in the oil, said this isn't the first one he's encountered. It started out with a tapping sound, like the engine was low on oil, but it wasn't. Tapping would go away, but come back. Came back with a vengeance a couple weeks ago, wasn't exactly the "death knock", but might as well have been. We bought this used, wish I had known they have this problem. The body of the car is still in great shape, love the looks, the shape, just don't know if it's worth putting another motor in. Will not put another 2.7 in though. That is entirely too small for that size car. My wife loves the car and will miss it.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best all around car I've owned

by Like this Dodge from Indianapolis, IN on Thu Jul 09 2009

Very comfortable car - rides smoothly and is a great road car. Mileage on the road is 29-30 mpg and gets about 20 - 21 mpg in town. Acceleration is average - nothing to brag about. Purchased car used (rental) with 26K miles on it. Now has 120k and is going strong. Minor issues like an oil leak via the that sensor needing replaced. Car sits low which is a plus driving - low drag, etc. but as I get older a bit of an issue getting in and out. Overall it has been a very good vehicle requiring just good basic maintenance.

Completely Satisfied

by Travel'n man from Sacramento, CA on Fri Dec 05 2008

My Intrepid has turned out to be a real gem! The great looks are obvious, but it has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned. Never had a major repair and still runs great, no issues with the engine at all. It could use a little more power with the 2.7 L V6, but with 29 MPG on the Hwy, I can live with it. No problem getting onto the freeway or passing anyone. This car has super comfortable seats in roomy cabin and a big trunk. It also has lots of premium features for a car in this price range. Definitely would reccomend this car to a friend. Everything you could want in a dependable family car with some STYLE!

Don't buy it!!!

by Nadia from Kansas City, KS on Mon Aug 21 2006

I bought the Intrepid 7 months ago. It's the 2.7L engine, 200hp, it had only 40K miles on it, 1 previous owner, took it to 2 mechanics to check it, and they said it's good. The first thing that happened was an oil leak, which thank God it wasn't from the engine, so with $250 and a new oil pan with seals and what-not can got fixed. Then I had to replace the steering rack! I've never heard of such thing - a car needing a new steering rack!!! At less than 47K miles, it is rediculous! That itself was $850. After that I had to buy a new battery, but that's normal I was told, for a 5 year-old car, but the battery is behind the front passenger tire, so no place was willing to change it for free, since the tire had to come off to change it! How dumb is that? What's even dumber is me buying it because I wanted a big car and I needed it to last me about 4 years, but at the rate I have to fix stuff... I am looking for another car right now. I've researched enough to know (little too late) that my type of engine is notorious with the timing chain snapping, and breaking pistons and messing up the whole engine. Dodge is aware of the problem, but they won't get you a new engine unless it's still under factory warranty (<30K miles)! And that happens right around 60K miles! I love the size, I love the trunk space, I love the design, I love the way it rides...but mechanically - piece of junk! I can't afford to fix it! And the seals on the car itself that go around the doors when you shut them, shrunk and started coming off, so I had to cut them and glue them. It's worth to pay the extra money and get a Honda or Toyota...

Hate the 2.7

by Schwan from on Thu Jan 17 2013

This was my first car, I bought it with 149k on it in great condition. I had it for 2 months before I was replacing the water pump which is inside of the engine itself and everything needs to be taken out in order to get to it. After a thousand dollars I got it running again for about a year and then the engine blows on me. Took it too a mechanic and a filter got clogged with slugged and the timing chain broke and bent all of the rods with it. It had a nice ride but, it is just a money pit after awhile

Nicest car I have owned.

by Love My Car from Cincinnati, Ohio on Tue Dec 06 2011

The leather interior is nice. The body style is what I like the most, it is sleak! I like that it came with a 4 disc cd player!

Trans and engine are junk

by Intrepid Fan! NOT from Utah on Sat Sep 08 2007

I thought this was a great car for the first 50K miles. I am very detailed with my vehicles and get the service done more often then required and pay attention to all details. At 50K I started chasing oil leaks around the engine in various places, a new one this month. At 60K I had to replace the cooling fans ($600 total), then at 65K I had to replace the thermostat which is in a nightmare location at the bottom of the engine ($150). After 50K I couldn't seem to get the alignment right so had to replace the struts ($200). At 50K the transmition started shifting hard and occasionally slipping. At 78K the tranny blew out, ($2600). Now the engine gets hot randomly at times that are not consistent. The computer and the mechanics say that nothing is wrong so I expect that the engine has a sludge problem. I don't want to sell it to someone and have them come back a month later with a blown engine, so what to do? I will never buy a Chrysler product again and am looking at Toyota now. My friend bought the exact same car the month I did and he went through a tranny and his wife blew the engine with an over heating problem on the freeway so his is already in the junk yard. Good luck with yours, I would trade it in as soon as possible, especially if it has the 2.7 engine.

Handsome but un-reliable

by Architecture nut from East Tennessee on Thu Oct 25 2007

The Intrepid is one of the most handsome designs on the road. You have to hand it to the styling team at Chrysler, they put out beautiful cars. However at 50,000 the transmission went south and had to be rebuilt to the tune of $2200. At 60,000 the oil pressure started dropping to the point that the engine would stall at red lights. My mechanic tells me that the 2.7 V-6 is notorious for sludging and there is no cure. The car ate tires, would not stay in alignment though I am a careful in-town driver. I will never own another Chrysler product due to dissatisfaction with this car.

Great Car

by Neil from Fayston Vermont on Tue Nov 28 2006

I bought this car with 42k, currently have 75k, have changed oil religiously, gave it a poor man's motor flush, two oil changes within 300 miles, runs handles better than most any car I've owned. 23.4 miles per gallon all the time in mixed driving. The interstate is this cars best friend, very, very stable and the aerodynamics really come into play. It has been a great car, very good stereo too.

good looks

by Eldon from Spanish fork, UT on Sun Feb 11 2007

it looks very good and looks very fast but under the hood it has just 200 horse power and it could take you a day or two ta get to speed. the inside of the car you sit kinda low but as long as your not short your ok but i love it just need some more horse power.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2001 Dodge Intrepid

Catch a glimpse of any NASCAR race and there's a new face among the racers: the Dodge Intrepid.

This is the first year of Dodge's return to stock-car racing. The race car has a V-8 engine, rear-wheel drive, two doors and only a vague resemblance to a stock Intrepid. The success of a model in stock-car racing is about brand loyalty. Dodge fans know they can't buy a car like the one that competes on the racetrack, but the Intrepid R/T should benefit from the image rub-off.

The R/T is the 242-horsepower version of the Intrepid, a full-size family sedan. Dodge calls it a "modern-day muscle car," but I would characterize it as a people hauler with muscles. The 3.5-liter, SOHC V-6 that was... Read More