2000 Neon

2000 Dodge Neon

$772 - $4,636  MSRP Range
2000 Dodge Neon

4.0

Have you driven the 2000 Dodge Neon?

It's a pretty good car

by Neon Deon from Camp Springs, MD on Wed Jul 23 2008

I bought this car with 25K on it and I have had it for 5 years now. It still runs great. There are some wear and tear issues that I have with a few things. Dodge used Mopar parts that are only rated for 75,000 miles. When my car hit 75,001 then multiple things began to break down immediately. The power looks began to make noises and some need assitance to open the door. Then one of my speakers became staticy. It is in the wiriing. I have swapped out speakers and it doesn't go away. Other than those two issues everything else works great. I still get great gas mileage too.

Bought brand new

by Bill from Minneapolis, MN on Thu Mar 17 2011

I bought this car as my first ever brand new car. I got it in December of 2000 and it had 20 miles on it from people test driving it. I have had it now for over 10 years and besides oil changes (the plug for the oil pan got stripped and needed to be replaced) and tire changes, I have had absolutely no problems with this car at all. I am coming up on to about 100k miles on it and I still love this car. It feels very comfortable, and has surprising lots of room in the trunk (golf clubs along with other picnic type items all fit). I didn't get a model with all the perks (power locks/windows, etc..) so I have never had a problem with anything like that. I just wish the Neon was still being made, because when this one finally gets to the point where I need a new car (probably in about 5 years or so) then I would have bought another one. And to be honest, I think getting a new car would be more about me wanting something new as opposed to the car actually needing to be replaced.

Only car i have owned

by flamegurl from Plano, TX on Sun Apr 22 2012

I recieved this car in high school in 2002. I was only 2 years old then with 68, 000. Over the past 10 years i put 100,000 miles on it and it has never given any troubles besides regular maintenance!! I have taken this car everywhere in Texas and the surrounding states! Great memories!

Good car for new drivers.

by Neon Driver from Oregon on Sat May 03 2008

I have had my vehicle for 8 years now. Only problems I've had is a water leak on the driver's side, yet that only happens if my car is parked on a side tilt, also my passenger side power lock makes a buzzing sound when locking the vehicle. Though this might sound unpleasant, I have not had any major problems with the car. The engine runs good when maintained. It may not have powerful engine or superior handling, but this car is easy to operate for beginner drivers, either an automatic or manual. Fun car to cruise on the open and winding roads.

Does not recommend this car!!

The car i like

by Scubba Steve from Wichita Kansas on Fri Nov 02 2007

This car is a wonderful car for anyone starting out to drive. It gives off the appearance of being cute and popular, but also that is for the intelligent person. It won't give you the feel of a cool but you know you look good driving. I would recomend this car to any of my friends or family

Great Car

by Jim bob from Lansing, NY on Fri Apr 18 2008

My Neon is my first car. I Can not speak for other neons but Mine is poorly sealed around the drivers door. When washing with higher preasuse water a very little ammount leaks through. I have not had any leak through during a rain storm. Other than that it seems to be a great reliable, and fun to drive.

Good for teenager

by rlskiller from South Dakota on Sun Feb 19 2012

I had a 2000 neon for 5 years. I bought it bearly used with 10,000 miles on it and the car now has 72000 miles on it. I think we changed the water pump once on it. Out of the blue oil started to come up from the spark plugs. Piston trouble or manifold issues, I'm not sure. The car wasnt worth putting 2000 dollars of repair into. This car was taken care of very well. This shouldnt of happened. If you have kids or need your space, this is not the car for you. This car is suited best for teenagers to go to and from work/school/practice. Trunk space is great. This model DOES NOT get 30 some miles to the gallon. They geared this year differently and its MPG suffered. I never had trouble starting it in the cold.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Reliable Commuter Car

by Geo from Corona, New York on Mon Feb 04 2008

I've had this car for 6 yrs now and i haven't had any major problems with it. It has been very reliable mechanically and it's also good on gas milage. My only complaint is that it has a minor water leak by the passenger door whenever it rains heavy. Overall this has been a good everyday commuter car that is a great value for the money.

Great On Gas!!!!

by lea from concord ca on Sun Mar 03 2013

This car is the best on gas ever,,I get 36 on road trip's and 33 at the least town driving.I have put some new parts in like water pump and clutch and new air,new sensor.It still passed smog like a champ,at 130,000.this car get's up and go's good power.I have owned lot's of car's and they should be making more like this.It's very reasonable too fix's on low budget.

Cheap used beater

by James H from Philadelphia, PA on Fri Jul 28 2017

This car was great if you only look at the engine and transmission. Would drive this car 500 miles plus per week and take it on long trips. The down side was everything attached to the engine i.e. the entire car. As a cheap A to B car you couldn't beat the MPG and price. What will happen is as being an older car and not the most refined one, you will go for inspection and be told there is no value left in the car and it would be better money spent to upgrade to something else. I owned this car for 3 years and 2 of those years it slipped though inspection barley. but as things go they only get worse and 3rd year around $2000+ was needed just to make it road worthy. I do believe even with the high 180k+ mileage the engine would take my across the county and back without issue, but the car would have came apart during the trip, with the engine laying on the ground in the rubble that was once a car still running.

1 2

Our Take on the 2000 Dodge Neon

Say goodbye to "Hi!," the one-word slogan that launched the Dodge/Plymouth Neon in January 1994.

It was a cutesy marketing campaign, meant to attract young buyers to what was then Chrysler Corp.'s newest little car. The pitch worked. Chrysler sold more than 1.5 million Neons in 61 countries since the car's introduction. But times changed.

Chrysler is no more, having been bought out by Germany's Daimler-Benz AG and merged into a new company called DaimlerChrysler AG. And the Neon grew up.

It's no longer a car for base-wage youngsters, or weekend throttle jockeys with big-track ambitions and tiny wallets. The new Neon--the 2000 Neon--is a serious automobile.

That doesn't mean it's dull... Read More