2000 Dodge Neon

Decent car for decent price

by from Lou, KY on September 11, 2017

Needs more room the car is 4 door but is small the option of letting the backseat told down helps out alot because I clean houses for a living and allows me to carry even my large equipment

Cheap used beater

by from Philadelphia, PA on July 28, 2017

This car was great if you only look at the engine and transmission. Would drive this car 500 miles plus per week and take it on long trips. The down side was everything attached to the engine i.e. the entire car. As a cheap A to B car you couldn't beat the MPG and price. What will happen is as being an older car and not the most refined one, you will go for inspection and be told there is no value left in the car and it would be better money spent to upgrade to something else. I owned this car for 3 years and 2 of those years it slipped though inspection barley. but as things go they only get worse and 3rd year around $2000+ was needed just to make it road worthy. I do believe even with the high 180k+ mileage the engine would take my across the county and back without issue, but the car would have came apart during the trip, with the engine laying on the ground in the rubble that was once a car still running.

Bang for the buck

by from lancaster on June 25, 2017

It has some rust problems but very reliable and strong car manual is super smooth and very comfortable intiror

Most reliable car ever

by from Chicago, il. on May 17, 2017

Its a great car and never had any major problems with it. Amazed dodge made a vehicle to last almost 20 years!

GREAT LITTLE CAR

by from Queens, NY on August 18, 2015

Bought my 2000 Dodge Neon new. Was still getting anywhere from 37-40 mpg highway. Served me well. Still looked stylish even among the "newer" cars on the road, and still looked practically new, even after 15 years (Car came with a great clearcoat). Except for the replacement parts due to aging, this car served me well. I no longer have the car, but would have liked another Neon if they were still making them.

Uses car for Off-roading

Great On Gas!!!!

by from concord ca on March 3, 2013

This car is the best on gas ever,,I get 36 on road trip's and 33 at the least town driving.I have put some new parts in like water pump and clutch and new air,new sensor.It still passed smog like a champ,at 130,000.this car get's up and go's good power.I have owned lot's of car's and they should be making more like this.It's very reasonable too fix's on low budget.

Only car i have owned

by from Plano, TX on April 22, 2012

I recieved this car in high school in 2002. I was only 2 years old then with 68, 000. Over the past 10 years i put 100,000 miles on it and it has never given any troubles besides regular maintenance!! I have taken this car everywhere in Texas and the surrounding states! Great memories!

Good for teenager

by from South Dakota on February 19, 2012

I had a 2000 neon for 5 years. I bought it bearly used with 10,000 miles on it and the car now has 72000 miles on it. I think we changed the water pump once on it. Out of the blue oil started to come up from the spark plugs. Piston trouble or manifold issues, I'm not sure. The car wasnt worth putting 2000 dollars of repair into. This car was taken care of very well. This shouldnt of happened. If you have kids or need your space, this is not the car for you. This car is suited best for teenagers to go to and from work/school/practice. Trunk space is great. This model DOES NOT get 30 some miles to the gallon. They geared this year differently and its MPG suffered. I never had trouble starting it in the cold.

Bought brand new

by from Minneapolis, MN on March 17, 2011

I bought this car as my first ever brand new car. I got it in December of 2000 and it had 20 miles on it from people test driving it. I have had it now for over 10 years and besides oil changes (the plug for the oil pan got stripped and needed to be replaced) and tire changes, I have had absolutely no problems with this car at all. I am coming up on to about 100k miles on it and I still love this car. It feels very comfortable, and has surprising lots of room in the trunk (golf clubs along with other picnic type items all fit). I didn't get a model with all the perks (power locks/windows, etc..) so I have never had a problem with anything like that. I just wish the Neon was still being made, because when this one finally gets to the point where I need a new car (probably in about 5 years or so) then I would have bought another one. And to be honest, I think getting a new car would be more about me wanting something new as opposed to the car actually needing to be replaced.

151,000 and runs like new.

by from Pittsburgh, PA on December 2, 2010

Have owned this car since 2003. Bought it used with 35,000 miles. besides oil changes (which I stretched a few). I've only had to replace the battery, both front tie-rods, brakes, alternator, battery, and starter. With 150,000 miles it has no rust, still gets 30+ MPG on highway, starts everyday, and runs like the day i bought her. When she dies I'm gonna buy another. case closed!

Our Expert Review: 2000 Dodge Neon