2007 Nitro

3.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

This thing is a TANK!

by jennaandboys from Virginia Beach, VA on January 30, 2014

Wasn't a huge fan of the styling when they came out, but we bought ours because it was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up, and VERY glad we got it! Last year we got rear-ended by a texter going 45mph and we were at dead stop waiting to turn. My son was in carseat in back and was fine, just mild headache. I had pretty severe whiplash since I was bent over getting my purse the moment we were hit, but otherwise the Nitro protected us very well. Nitro had frame and exhaust system damage, hitch was pushed into the middle of the spare tire, and husband was STILL able to drive it to follow the ambulance for me and my son, and drive it to the body shop for repairs. Got it fixed and back on the road. Other vehicle (newer Mazda SUV) that hit us was totalled and had to be drug off the street because they couldn't get it up on a tow truck. We plan on keeping this tank for a long time to come. Pros: Unbelievable turning radius (turns on a dime!) makes it so easy to park, regular AC plug in 2nd row for video games or whatever is really handy, sits up higher for safety and awesome vision, back storage has carpet on one side and hard rubber on other side - tough enough to carry firewood one day yet comfy enough to sit in the back for a tailgate football game the next day, reliability is great, on demand 4WD at turn of a knob, can take a pounding from a larger SUV going 45mph and keep on driving! Cons: would expect better gas mileage for size, back end gets a little squirrely on turns in snow more than expected, wish back seats folded flat to be even with back storage area for our lab - I love everything else!

Great little SUV

by Nacho from Maryland on February 8, 2014

Bought my 07 SLT used with 24k mi on it. Had it for two years now with very little trouble. Had to replace the gas tank but Dodge acknowledged the problem and extended the warranty, so it was covered. Not sure why some people knock the handling and say it drives like I truck. Those people obviously have never owned a truck. I think it actually handles great for what it is. This is an entry level, mid sized suv people, it's not a Range Rover! Gas mileage could be better, but would probably say that no matter what suv I had. Interior is mostly plastic, but I'm an avid mountain biker, also make trips to Home Depot, so it's fine by me. The fact that the passenger seat folds flat and you can fit 8 foot boards in there and still close the hatch, is awesome! It's slightly lacking in power but has enough to get the job done. I think if I had gone with the R/T would have been satisfied with power. Oh, the 4WD works great too. Been getting hammered with snow this winter and it's performed flawlessly. Overall I think its a great little truck and does everything I ask it to. If you're looking for luxury, look at the Nitro's cousin, the Grand Cherokee. But be prepared to crack open the check book. FYI: Grand Cherokee actually has less cargo room than the Nitro.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Love!

by NitroSLT from Tulsa, OK on May 16, 2016

Ok yes my widow motors went out and yes my power steering has a leak but what vehicle eventually doesn't have a problem. This thing gets me throw tough weather conditions and is very safe. I would have another one. Definitely don't plan on selling it anytime soon.

A blast to drive

by SUV Driver from Tucson AZ on April 12, 2007

500 miles and no problems - I bought and SUV, it runs like an SUV, rides like and SUV................Wow it's an SUV. So it doesn't powder my nose and it doesn't look cute, if you want a pansy car with body parts that "look" like an SUV - but is really a car, there are already plenty of these on the market (see Toyota and Honda). If you want to have fun - get the SXT Manual. I've read reviews complaining about handling and not feeling comfortable cornering........................wimps should stick to their little cars if they are scared being more then 4 inches off of the pavement and stay out of the SUV's. I own a RAM 1500 Quad cab and a Suburban (both 4X4's) - the Nitro handles like the smaller SUV it is. In the last 5 years we have replaced our 3 Cherokees: '85 was in an accident ? donated - 274,000 miles '89 sold to 19 year old Daughter - still driving it - 260,000 miles '99 Grand traded in for the RAM last year - 155,000. If you keep up you vehicles - they last. I wanted a on-road SUV with 4X4 that could handle light off-roading (i.e. towing a trailer with Quads back off the road a ways) or switch to 4X4 in snowy conditions. I wanted interior cargo space - at least comparable to the Cherokee's I have owned. I wanted power to get up and go - without using as much gas as the Suburban or Ram. I got all that under?????$25K. I test drove many cars and SUV's over the months leading up to this purchase (I?m 6?2? 250+ lbs ? many so callled SUV's I couldn?t even get in). My RAM is an ?06 ? and the quality got me back into Dodge for this purchase. I wanted a smaller SUV - I didn't want a power puff car, I got more then I expected for the price and I am very happy with the Nitro.

This SUV turns heads!

by billaSPEC73 from San Diego, CA on March 28, 2007

I love driving my new Dodge Nitro R/T. I can't say that about my old SUV that was not holding up to well. The bold styling turns heads when cursing on the streets. I have found the ESP to be restricting at times but it has kept me out of a few accidents so far. The 4.0L V-6 has a lot of power to get you going. Since the center of gravity on this SUV is higher than crossovers there is some handling issues but that is expected. A "crossover Nitro" look would not work; this is a solid SUV look which makes it tougher. The interior is very good, there is some minor fit and finish issues that I?ve noticed but are barely noticeable unless you look for them. Overall the interior works with the outer styling with the high beltline. The stereo upgrade is worth it and probably is the best stock system you can get in any domestic SUV; it even has a sub-woofer in the rear cargo area! I love the stereo and vehicle information center controls on the steering wheel. People have complained about the gas mileage but common! This is a SUV what do you expect!? All I can say it depends on your driving style and believe me it can be good if you take it easy. Bottom line this SUV fits my lifestyle and I would just hate to buy a boring common looking SUV that a lot of people drive these days. I?m proud to tell people what I drive and that tells me I made a good purchase.

Many Issues

by Monty from Atchison, KS on March 14, 2007

As I read these reviews, I realize that many of the hesitation issues I have, are the ones you are describing. After several returns to the dealer I have been informed it is possibly the catalytic converter. I have had problems with the wheels which they are replacing. After the first time it was returned to the dealership, the molding is coming off around the windows. My suggestion would be, if consumers are going to buy your products, you need to build it correctly the first time. I did not purchase a test vehicle, atleast that was not my intention.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great fun in this 4WD

by SashaH59 from Westminster, Colorado on May 21, 2017

This car is roomy and handles great. There exterior is beautiful and not like all the other cars on the road. Inside you can seat 5 with plenty of room. Plenty of storage space in the back to load your camping gear! Can't wait to take her four wheeling.

The best and most favorite vehicle I have ever own

by Shellyz from mount morris on November 13, 2017

It great. Has close to 200,000 on it. Baught it new. And it's still looks great and runs great. I love the extra options it has in it. Tv, satellite radio.

Drives nice was mad about title

by Coolgirl from Wi on April 12, 2017

We had bought the dodge nitro from a private party. Drove 3 plus hours away to get there and find out it had a rebuilt title. Needless to say we took it because we needed the room. Works how it is suppose to and is roomy. Would love to see how it is after all fixed.

Awesome car!

by Nitro girl from Trenton Ohio on July 25, 2007

I love the car. It handles well, rides great, Looks great.I have had this car for 4 months. I have had one issuse with this car. I heard some squeaking coming from the passenger wheel. Took it in and found out it had something to do with the 20 Inch Chrome wheels. They put a seal on it and haven't had any issue since then. I Dont know what you guys are talking about not being happy. Everyone I have talked to said they LOVE IT! Would buy another one if I could.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9