1998 Ram 1500

4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

98 dodge ram 1500 Laramie review

by The big asian from on August 31, 2014

My family has own one since new, it's a 98 Laramie slt, 4x4 club cab, it's hard on fuel but eh so what, it's easy to work on, a lot of room in the engine bay, it's only rated for 7,200 lbs but we've pull about 10,000lbs with it across canada, when pulling you'll get about 8 mpg if you're lucky

Still going at 200,000 miles

by BeastOwner from Washington State on May 29, 2013

Bought the truck new, with 4 miles on the odometer. With proper maintenance, the beast is still on the road. I finally had to replace the tranny and fuel pump. Tires, oil changes and maintenance cost more on a big truck, but it's worth not having to buy a replacement vehicle since 1998. Mileage is 12-15 mpg - not great but not bad for all the hauling I do for Boy Scouting activities. The interior is comfortable for long trips, and it handles well for such a big vehicle.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

98 Dodge ram extended cab 318V8

by Earl from Houston Texas on May 30, 2015

I am Earl. master mechanic age 59. To own a Dodge ram 1994 to 2002 is very close to owning a 60s vehicle. Any good experienced mechanic can only know these are the best. They have much more interior room and bigger seats than your Ford does. The suspension on these beats your Chevrolet and ford pickups. I know this because I won a f150 ford and have owned several chevy silverados and the Dodge is King of pickups in the year range I mentioned above. As a long time mechanic I feel secure with any investment I might put in this truck. Mine (98 Ram extended cab) has 181k miles on it and is doing great. I will never get rid of it

Old Faithful!

by farmerjp37 from richmond, VA on July 10, 2009

The best thing since sliced bread. It has been an amazing vehicle. Under a light load with a trailer I can barely tell there is anything back there. The performance is amazing and has a great turn radius for such a large truck. I installed a cold air intake as well as opened up the exhaust and i now get close to 16mpg which is amazing for a full size V8

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

the 1998 dodge ram 1500

by the truck guy from New York on April 7, 2015

The truck is grate we had it forever and its really good to sleep in when my dad was warking he told me to stay in the truck so I always would end up falling asleep its really good to sleep in.The only bad part is the gas but its a really good working truck and it will get you there and back.

Has been a good truck!!

by Stomper from Leitchfield, KY on February 16, 2009

I bought my 98' Ram Sport model 4x4 about 5 years ago and have never had any significant problems. It now has approximately 178,000 miles on it and still going strong. Never had tranny, motor, axle, or any other problems. I keep my oil and fluid/filters changed. I use it often to pull my car hauler and it does so with ease. The 5.9L has quite a bit of pulling power and the tranny is holding up fine. One of the big reasons I like this truck so much is the reliability and integrity of the solid front axle because the truck is lifted 5". I have never so much as replaced a u-joint so far. This is also a daily driver!

Awesome truck

by Big head from Los Angeles, CA on March 18, 2008

I bought this truck about a year back (with 80k miles )with a few problems on it. A little TLC and it's the best vehicle I've ever owned or driven (now 120k). It's REALLY fast, handles well, and looks sick. If you ask me, the low gas mileage is worth the benefits (12 mpg average, mostly city driving on the big V8). The engine is reliable, just keep an eye on your fluids and other maintenance and you'll push this truck into 300k on the odometer. The ride is a little bumpy too but what do you expect from a full size pickup?

great truck

by great white hunter from columbia, sc on February 16, 2007

great truck. very comfortable. tows very well. love the exterior design. spacious front seat. could have more room in extended cab rear. hauls great. good power.

Transmission issues

by mlind06 from on May 16, 2012

I had a 1998 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L V8 and 4 spd automatic transmission. I bought it used in 2002 with 51k miles. From 2002 to when I sold it in 2009, I put 47K miles, two tranmissions, a water pump, radiator and a rear end into the truck. I loved it except for the reliability issues and the mileage. At purchase it would get 12 MPG city and 14-15 MPG hwy. I added a Superchips tuner with the mileage setting and it increased to 13 MPG city and 16 Hwy, still not impressive.

Does not recommend this car!!

Dodge transmission 1998 & Clear coat

by Dingdong from Virginia on August 9, 2017

I like the vehicle except for the transmission problems, had to replace it and now in need of another. Used the vehicle on my small farm to haul trash, wood & move furniture. 1st trans went out with under 100000 miles replaced it and it went out just after warranty. Clear coat started going about a year after I bought it.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3