1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Dodge transmission 1998 & Clear coat

by from Virginia on August 9, 2017

I like the vehicle except for the transmission problems, had to replace it and now in need of another. Used the vehicle on my small farm to haul trash, wood & move furniture. 1st trans went out with under 100000 miles replaced it and it went out just after warranty. Clear coat started going about a year after I bought it.

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Very reliable and good performance

by from Newell, WV on May 21, 2017

It's very big, but comfortable and very safe feeling. It's performance is excellent and the drive is smooth!

98 Dodge ram extended cab 318V8

by from Houston Texas on May 30, 2015

I am Earl. master mechanic age 59. To own a Dodge ram 1994 to 2002 is very close to owning a 60s vehicle. Any good experienced mechanic can only know these are the best. They have much more interior room and bigger seats than your Ford does. The suspension on these beats your Chevrolet and ford pickups. I know this because I won a f150 ford and have owned several chevy silverados and the Dodge is King of pickups in the year range I mentioned above. As a long time mechanic I feel secure with any investment I might put in this truck. Mine (98 Ram extended cab) has 181k miles on it and is doing great. I will never get rid of it

the 1998 dodge ram 1500

by from New York on April 7, 2015

The truck is grate we had it forever and its really good to sleep in when my dad was warking he told me to stay in the truck so I always would end up falling asleep its really good to sleep in.The only bad part is the gas but its a really good working truck and it will get you there and back.

98 dodge ram 1500 Laramie review

by from on August 31, 2014

My family has own one since new, it's a 98 Laramie slt, 4x4 club cab, it's hard on fuel but eh so what, it's easy to work on, a lot of room in the engine bay, it's only rated for 7,200 lbs but we've pull about 10,000lbs with it across canada, when pulling you'll get about 8 mpg if you're lucky

Still going at 200,000 miles

by from Washington State on May 29, 2013

Bought the truck new, with 4 miles on the odometer. With proper maintenance, the beast is still on the road. I finally had to replace the tranny and fuel pump. Tires, oil changes and maintenance cost more on a big truck, but it's worth not having to buy a replacement vehicle since 1998. Mileage is 12-15 mpg - not great but not bad for all the hauling I do for Boy Scouting activities. The interior is comfortable for long trips, and it handles well for such a big vehicle.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Transmission issues

by from on May 16, 2012

I had a 1998 1500 4X4 with the 5.9L V8 and 4 spd automatic transmission. I bought it used in 2002 with 51k miles. From 2002 to when I sold it in 2009, I put 47K miles, two tranmissions, a water pump, radiator and a rear end into the truck. I loved it except for the reliability issues and the mileage. At purchase it would get 12 MPG city and 14-15 MPG hwy. I added a Superchips tuner with the mileage setting and it increased to 13 MPG city and 16 Hwy, still not impressive.

Just had a 94 totaled out great truck.

by from Fairview Oregon on February 4, 2012

Like the color. a/c would top it off. Price is about right Would like to make a deal.it has spray in bed liner.

Good truck but engine problems

by from Dayton, Ohio on September 27, 2011

On the 5.9 liter there are trouble with the intake manifold gooing bad. Cost me $3000. Truck tires are never cheap and this truck is no exception. I spent about $6,000 in repairs in my 5 years owning the truck. I loved the interior and exterior. but I am disappointed about the engine problems. I think this truck could go over 200,000 miles but it will take some money to fix things up and maintain.

Car I read and studied about

by from Cicero,IL on May 16, 2011

This car was one of the most reliable in its period but what I studied this car will be worth 3x its worth today in 2014.

Our Expert Review: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500