2000 Dodge Ram 1500

2000 Dodge Ram 1500 EX cab long bed 4x4 5.9 V-8 AT

by from VT on February 2, 2013

I bought this truck with 51,000 miles on it from somone who bought it new. I could tell that the truck sat alot so I went through and changed all the fluids from front to back. Along with spark plugs and wires cap and roater, basicly a full tuneup. I have a 16 foot job trailer full of tools that it pulls just fine. She is pritty thirsty I average about 15 mpg if I,m nice to her. The truck is very solid and will liquify the tires if i want to. The 360 V-8 has plenty of tourque. I have owened a Ram with the 318 in the past and the 360 is much better, the trannie doesn't bounce through the gears as much. I only paid 8,000 for the truck and it was in beautiful shape this is my 2nd Ram and it wont be my last.

Great truck

by from Midland City, AL on March 14, 2012

Very good for the fisherman, pulls any size fishing boat with ease. Truck is good for 30000 miles with no problems if oil is chandged every 3500 miles and trans. fluid every 70000 miles.

Uses car for Towing

Great truck, but has its draw backs...

by from Cape May Court House, NJ on September 26, 2012

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 2WD. It has the 5.2 and the automatic trans. I have had the transmission rebuilt to tune of $1500, replaced the shocks, front end needs work, and heater core is bad. I can honestly report though, that I have never had a problem with the engine. It has 192,500 miles and starts up without a problem everyday. It's not a speed machine, but it's a truck. I have had dual axle trailers packed with fire wood hooked up and it pulls them with out a problem, has plenty of torque to get some of the heaviest jobs done. I do have the dash board problem as well, that's one of those typical problems. As far as the body I have very minimal rust, if any at all. In my opinion it is a very good work horse vehicle, definitely not luxury but trucks just started entering that market about 5 years or so ago, so it's not expected with this year of vehicle.

A very Good truck for the money

by from Cinnaminson NJ on March 5, 2012

I have had my truck since it had 30k on it and now its got 230k on it gas motor 5.9 liter and still runs like it did when i got it good truck i love it its all about how the owner before you took care of it if bad then that truck is gonna treat you bad but there are not a bad truck thats for sure i would buy another 1 brand new if i had a chance

best used truck i ever had

by from nj on April 2, 2012

not bad for overall except for the engine size(5.9) gas eater sleak look,roomy,nice ride,big tires nice color

only cummins

by from Ankeny,IA on March 24, 2007

i thought i got my moneys worth bought it with 170000 miles on it cummins turbo diesel with manual 4x4 quad cab cant beat it. it came with some after market stuff like boost gauges and stuff buy it is still a good truck wouldnt get a autimatic or gas dodge though. so stick with diesel and stick lots of power and better gas that a gas truck

Classically useful

by from on January 30, 2009

Great, reliable vehicle. We had this truck and 2 foreign vehicles from the same year and spent at least twice as much on repairs for the other vehicles.

not bad used buy

by from North Carolina on January 18, 2011

Good truck to buy used for work truck since re-sale value is poor. Purchased in 07 with 145,000, has 165,000, 3 years later. Engine still strong. Much front end work required ($2100), just replaced radiator. Tranny was re-built with 127K and doing okay. Temperature control gives hot air and cold air, but nothing in between. Seats very comfy, ride is smooth for old truck, surprisingly quiet ride (best thing). Worst thing is the cracking dash- almost falling in. Local Dodge service manager acted like he'd never seen a Dodge truck with a cracked dash: Bad actor. Dodge will sell you a replacement dash for about $450. I told them that pretty much totaled the truck.

It's Alright

by from Midwest on March 15, 2007

Brought the truck used, was a commercial fleet vehicle. Not the best value, base with V-6 and 2wd, although I'm glad for the better fuel milage, its better than it's larger brothers. MPG is around 16 overall. Automatic Transmission is not the best geared, especially at highway speed, always falling in and out of overdrive. Body fit is generally rough, prone to rust. Glad it's a simple truck, no interior power features, easy to fix for the do-it-yourself mechanic. Air Filter installation is a chore on the V-6 however, but everthing else is easy to get to. Probably will last, but not forever

Transmission will go out afeter 100,000

by from Maryville,mo on January 23, 2007

I have put 2 trannies in my truck. they cost more than the truck is worth alone. Plus new steering box. Toyota next time