2003 Stratus

$449 - $5,449  MSRP Range
2003 Dodge Stratus

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Comfort

Have you driven the 2003 Dodge Stratus?

Clean, Mean, Driving Machine!

by Mr. Sporty from Lehigh Valley, PA on Fri Mar 21 2014

I purchased my Dodge Stratus R/T after much research and having a friend recommend it after she owned one. I purchased the 2.7L V6 5 speed DOHC model...Basically a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a different exterior shell. Although I only purchased it recently I must say that this model is stylish outside, the interior is good although a bit of tight quarters to get out of sometimes. With the 5 speed it can get me moving out of traffic with a quick shift and does so effortlessly. I purchased it with 112,000 on the clock, and according to several other reviews by this mileage their cars had many problems. I must say that my unprofessional inspection of the engine and all other components prove to be positive at this time. I do however plan on getting it to my shop guy and having him do a complete work up on it so that everything that should have been done by the 100,000 mile mark has been done and serviced to be sure. And I plan on making a few tweaks to it to boost performance, etc. Otherwise, I feel this was a good investment and a good price!

Very reliable

by Green arrow stratus on Tue Sep 12 2017

Very dependable and it definitely is what my wife needed for her job. I recommend this type of car for anyone looking to commute.

03 stratus rt coupe 5 speed manual

by sd from ct on Fri Apr 03 2015

Bought this car in 05 with 19k miles and one previous owner. Now 10 years later with 167k miles I still love the car. I learned how to drive stick on this years ago and only recently in march 2015 did I replace the original clutch. Only have had minor fixes and the usual maintenance which I always have done myself unless I don't have the tools time or patience. In total I replaced a squeaky engine mount, got new spark plugs and wires, replaced clutch (on just second clutch now which is fantastic considering I learned stick on this car and beat the heck out of the original clutch... Lasted very long), replaced some gaskets and that's about it. Nothing else really aside from the usual maintenance. Its a really simple car unlike the high-tech garbage of today... I have manual seats and a simple interior... I don't need anything else since I got a garmin GPS and satellite radio separately. Also the dash board curled up, engine knocks when it initially starts in the cold and it seems to burn oil over time but in all I love this car and it drives great. Had it for ten years and hope to have it many more.

03 Stratus R/T

by bhoppyk from Huntingdon, TN on Fri Mar 22 2013

This littl car has lots of zip..I purchased it for my daugters first car from a private owner. The styling on the exterior and interior is very nice. Except for the dash board is coming up...I've researched and found that this is a common problem with these cars. All and all I give it 4 stars : )

Fun to Drive

by jwinkler34 from Michigan on Wed Feb 11 2009

Great all around vehicle. I have the 3.0L R/T version (2 door). Extremely fun to drive, responsive steering and throttle (especially with the manual). It's not a race car by any means, but a nice compromise between performance, cost, and comfort. My job puts me into a lot of different vehicles (some much pricier) and I'm always glad to get back into my Stratus Coupe. I haven't had any major problems with the vehicle. Some initial issues with quality from the assembly plant (sunroof not tightened, side view mirror mechanism loose), but I have over 60K on it now and it's still going strong.

Stratus R/T 3.0L V6

by Andy from Morgantown WV on Sat Feb 28 2009

Awesome car, very reliable, very fast, very good handling! A little pricey when buying parts for due to the RT package. Tires were very pricey for this car. The valve seals went out at 100,000 miles, the regular seals for the stratus are 20 bucks, the ones for the rt were 85 dollars. I wouldn't trade it for anything though. I have owned two of them.

Was a great car until.....

by Dodge Enthusiast from Denver Colorado on Tue Mar 06 2012

I bought the car afew years ago from a family friends dealer....well all was good for the first three years or (85,000). The engine had been very well maintained...i always changed the oil on time. Well i noticed that my 2.7 v6 was burning a little bit of oil when i started it. So i brought it in right away and the dodge dealer said that the water pump and timing chain were in very bad shape. (records showed that they had been replaced before i bought the vehicle) so i needed a new motor. After reviewing the 2.7 v6 i ended up trading the vehicle in

Does not recommend this car!!

Stratus R/T

by Has to be Fun from Rochester, MN on Wed Mar 31 2010

I loved my Stratus R/T coupe. The 3.0 V6 and 5spd manual combine for some fun driving. Essentially a re-bodied Mitsubishi Eclipse, this car handled well. It was also pretty nice at the pump, averaging 25mpg overall even when I drove it hard. When I was gentle I could get 30mpg on the freeway. Its a sharp looking car from the outside and the interior was nice with the leather but was pretty monotone, all black except some silver plastic accents, and lots of plastic. Overall though I loved this car and it was very dependable. I didn't have any issues and only brought it in for regular maintenance.

Good value for price paid

by David from Albany, NY on Sun Apr 20 2008

SXT sedan was stickered at 14999, quite a bit less than other similar models (apparently a discontinued color, dark purple that looks almost brown.) Purchased new and now has 50K miles, it has performed well. Aside from routine maintenance (oil, filters, brakes, etc...) the only nagging thing has been the blower motor resistor - it's gone through 3 of them so far (controls speed and operation of interior AC/heater/defroster fan.) The first the dealer replaced under warranty, the other one I installed myself at a quarter of the price. Overall I cannot complain - no breakdowns, reliable, about 20 mpg w mixed driving. More than acceptable performance - not super snazzy, but then again I didn't pay for that!

I HAD VERY FEW PROBLEMS WITH IT, A VERY GREAT CAR!

by GREENEYES from BOISE, IDAHO on Tue Nov 21 2017

IT'S BEEN AN EXELLENT VEHICLE, VERY RELIABLE, I TOOK GREAT CARE OF IT THE ENTIRE TIME I'VE HAD IT, I PREVIOUSLY SMOKED IN IT BUT OVERALL U CAN'T REALLY TELL BY THE SCENT OF IT, AGAIN I TOOK REALLY GOOD CARE OF IT!!!

1 2

Our Take on the 2003 Dodge Stratus

Put this under the heading of pleasant surprises.

The Dodge Stratus sedan was introduced way back in 1995, given a major freshening two years ago, along with its stablemate, the Chrysler Sebring. In tacit acknowledgement of its graying, DaimlerChrysler this year is touting a "value-priced" SXT version of the sedan that can be had for less than $20,000. That's a pretty friendly price when you consider it's a midsize family sedan that can hold 2 adults + 2 adults or 2 adults + 3 children, and includes an automatic transmission, air conditioning, power brakes, steering and windows, remote keyless entry, remote-release trunk, alloy wheels, cruise control and even floor mats.

Its most important... Read More