2013 C-Max Hybrid

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

4.3

Have you driven the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid?

Surprised That I'm Back With A Ford!

by MaxedUp from St Paul, MN on August 7, 2013

I left American cars behind when I bought an Audi A6. I loved it, but the repair costs after the warranty ended drove me out of it. I switched to Nissan and was "okay" with both the Murano and the Altima, but never impressed. I wanted a hybrid and my 6'3" husband wanted headroom. He avoided driving the Audi and both Nissans -- he wants to drive my little C-Max. I have 10K on it now and I get around 43 MPG. Not exactly as they promised, but pretty darned close. I love driving this car. The acceleration is great. The interior is comfortable for everyone. We drive in city rush hour traffic five days a week and make the two-hour trip back and forth to the cabin every weekend. The C-Max is great for both highway and city. Oh - and I hit a deer last month breaking from 50MPH on a county road. It took out the front bumper and fender, leaving body damage, but no permanent structural damage. My little Max handles just as it always had. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off!

Great Hybrid for a Modern Family

by Brooklynpalu from Brooklyn, NY on December 12, 2012

Needed a peppy, economical, functional car for daily commuting, errands and occasional pleasure trips. The Ford C-Max meets all our needs and holds 4 adults in comfort. Cabin head, shoulder and legroom is terrific, even for a big person (I'm 6'-3" and 235 lbs!) and the front and side visibility is great. We chose the SEL model for the heated leather seats, navigation system and features like built-in hands-free voice activated phone interface. The automatic rear hatch open and close function is pure genius! Good room under hatch for groceries or short trip luggage for two -- fold down rear seats flat and you triple cargo area for larger items. The dash and cockpit controls are logical and clear. The super quiet electric motor pulls the car around city streets very smartly and when you need it, the gas engine puts full 188 hp into play with no hesitation for plenty of power while passing or merging. Street parking is easy with a rear assist camera, but the proximity beeper gives ample (maybe too ample) warning. The C-Max has solid construction and good handling. Regenerative breaks take an hour or two to get used to, but feel natural after a few drives. Our gas/electric (tank takes 13 gallons of regular for 600+ mile range/tank) milage is up to 38 - 42 mpg (all city stop and go so far) and improving as we are learning new driving habits and are still in the extended break-in period common to hybrid vehicles. Even if we never hit Ford/EPA estimates of 47mpg, still 3X better than our old Volvo and as good as other hybrids with less power and fewer features. WE LOVE THIS CAR!

Overall very satisfied

by Hybrid owner from Wellsville, New York on January 16, 2013

My only disappointment is the gas mileage. I have driven the car about 1100 miles and my gas mileage is in the low 30s. Great ride, nice large front window, plenty of body and headroom. The owners manual needs to be improved. It is not very user friendly. The car is so new and so technical, that many of the sales reps and mechanics could not answer all my questions. Ford should offer tutorials On?line for new car owners.

Pretty good

by SugarKarina from Vista, CA on March 25, 2013

I've had this car for over 2000miles so far and I'm getting 43.7MPG. The hybrid coach helps(and my fuel economy is still getting better). Getting that MPG folks is cruising controlling 62MPH and not rabbit starting for green lights. I love the roominess of the vehicle and the heated seats. Total failure for the Sync from Microsoft. That thing glitches on me weekly. Dealership says to restart the program but who are we kidding? I don't have time for that(weekly). I couldn't get programmed for the gate opener for the apartment. So there is my cons. Pros is the car looks great, love the rims, and leather. Quite ride. Again roominess.

Great car!

by Boston Commuter from Boston, MA on March 28, 2013

I have had my car for just a week, but already am in love with it. SE version with the Ford My Touch system. My first 200+ mile trip returned 55 mpg, and I am consistently in the mid to high 40's. The car is fun to drive, with a nice ride and good road feel I am 6 foot 6 inches - the drivers seating position is comfortable for me. The large glass area gives one an expansive view of the road. To those complaining about the MPG's - it is the driver, not the car. Pay attention to the coach, ride the pedal gently, and don't cruise at 70 or 80 mph.

Very happy with my C-MAX

by Dan from Orlando, FL on October 7, 2014

I'm very happy with my C-Max Hybrid SE. I bought it in May 2013. My overall MPG is 43 after a year and a half. It would be better if the gas engine was better, but 43 MPG isn't much to complain about. I love the touchscreen, entertainment system, and console controls. The dashboard info screens are very useful and beautiful (I love the efficiency leaves). I'm a tall person so I loved getting into this car--I don't have to crouch or contort myself to get in or out and there's a ton of headroom. The back seats are roomy and when they fold down there's a nice big trunk area. Speaking of the trunk (hatchback), I love it because when it is open I can stand tall underneath it without ducking (I'm 6'1"). I usually try to max out my battery use and overall MPG by going slower, but if I need to go faster this car has good pick-up and will fly if you need it to. Now for the bad and why I gave it 4/5 overall. I mentioned before that the engine isn't great. There are non-hybrid cars that can get around 40 MPG but the C-Max would probably only be around 28-30 MPG if it wasn't a hybrid. The battery is what gets it over the 40 hump (I've kept track of my mileage and a consistent 33% of my miles are on electric power, hence the 30 estimate). I took a point off of exterior styling simply because it's certainly not a cool car to look at, but I don't particularly care about driving a cool car--I just wanted a mid-sized hybrid. Another knock on the C-Max is the constant recalls: I've had four in the last 18 months I think, which is a bit frustrating. I bought it when they were still advertising the 47/47/47 MPG which was obviously changed since then (Thanks for the rebates, Ford! :-) ). I get better MPG than the current ratings, but that's because I try really hard to max out my battery use while driving (so I'm that annoying slow person in the right lane all the time now... Sorry Orlando people). So even with a few design problems and the bad EPA ratings I'm very happy I got this car. I buy gas at most twice a month and as little as once a month, which is awesome. I enjoy being in the car because it is a very nice ride and the features are cool. Would still buy again.

Veery comfortable car

by Tom from Marion, IN on April 15, 2013

The C-max is very roomy inside. The ride is exceptional. Since I only have a thousand miles on the car, I cannot speak to its reliability. I love the touch screen display and ease of controlling the radio, navigation, and temperature. The one down side to the car is the gas mileage. I knew it would not be the 47 that they advertised, but I was hoping for 37 that Consumer Report claimed. I am at 33.3 mpg.

Great Blend of Handling, Driving, & Fuel Economy

by Ferg from Statesboro, Georgia on February 16, 2014

Like a number of folks submitting a review I am a former (Porsche 914 & 911) and current (classic BMW 99 M3) owner of fun to drive sports vehicles. When my wife and I decided to purchase a vehicle that would allow us to cost effectively travel from our current home in southeast Georgia to Philly and northern NJ to visit our kids and grand kids, we took this into consideration. We test drove the Prius V and the Ford C-Max and the Ford C-Max won hands down in all areas, including the front and rear headroom & legroom which in the Ford C-Max is excellent and far superior to the Prius V. As for the drive and handling, the Prius was sluggish and a chore to handle, whereas the C-Max has surprisingly good acceleration, particularly at the upper end, and handles with ease. No question that the total storage space is not as good as the Prius V, but I'll take a great, comfortable, cost effective drive over storage capacity any day. We have had the C-Max for about a month and, in part because of the mpg usage digital dashboard that includes a nifty 'brake coach" regenerative breaking system energy saving display, we are getting between 43 and 46 average mpg. It also helps that my wife, who is the primary driver, does not have the "pedal to the metal" inclinations that I have. This is an important point because, with any of the hybrids, your mpg fuel efficiency is largely in your own hands -- actually foot to the accelerator. We did not like all of the touch screen gizmo's that came with the more expensive fully micro-soft sync entertainment system SEL model so ended up purchasing the SE which still has some great "state of the art" technology including the hands free phone. Other than this, the vehicle is fully loaded and we got a great deal because we purchased the last of the 2013's.

20,000 miles in 10 months.

by Far.NY from NY on December 15, 2013

Bought only for fuel economy as drive more than 15,00 miles /month.Had volvo s60,Infinity G37xs,Hyundai Genesis,MDX in past& also have Infinity J34 & Nissan Juke. So it is not comparison & not my 1st. or 2nd car. Very good accelration almost 190 + HP combined. No problems in 10 months. Milage 40.5 to 40.7 .I drive City mostly & no mercy on throttle.Uses regular gas. Braking is impressive. Much roomier than juke.

Fun car

by Dale from Columbus Ohio on January 17, 2013

Love to drive this car Gas millage is not what they claim Seat belt is hard to fasten in front seats

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Our Take on the 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Editor's note: Estimated mileage ratings have been lowered to reflect a June 2014 Ford audit of this car's stated mileage.

Few automakers have taken a direct shot at Toyota's green icon, the Prius hybrid. Now Ford has: It's the 2013 C-Max Hybrid, but its overall refinement has been marred by poor reliability and two downward revisions in EPA gas mileage.

Earlier plans to bring a seven-seat C-Max minivan from overseas were scrapped, and now the C-Max comes as a hybrid and a C-Max Energi plug-in hybrid, each with five seats. Ford has targeted the plus-sized Prius v as the C-Max's primary competitor, but it's priced closer to the Prius, so you might shop it against both — or a well-equipped Honda... Read More