Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1997 Expedition

1997 Ford Expedition

Have You Driven the 1997 Ford Expedition?

18 Years, 265K later

by Regular driver from South East Michigan on Thu Dec 11 2014

My parents picked up our 97 Expedition in 1998. She was driven by a ford dealer owner for a one year lease, and we have had her ever since. I am currently 18 years old and ready to leave for college, and our expedition has been there every step of the way. My parents are business owners that needed a reliable car for both the business and our family. Over the years, we have made 9 round trips to our timeshare in Vermont, and have not had a problem even in our most recent trip where she had over 235,000 on her. She now currently has about 265,000 on her, and my parents plan to get a new vehicle with better fuel economy. Since i got my license in 2013, I have been the primary driver f this car, and could not giver her higher praise. If you are looking for a truck that will get you anywhere, no matter the distance or weather condition, i highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. It will be hard to let this car go if we decide to sell her. The only negative is the fuel economy. The Cars.com statement that she gets over 20 on the freeway is misleading. We average around 13, usually about 15 on the freeway. Now, when we first got her, my parents claim she got upper teens, so the engine may be worn down. However, based on other Expedition owners reviews, the engine should give you no troubles even well over 300,000 miles. Will miss this car greatly if we decide to sell. Highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. The engine is a beast, and most owners tend to take well care of these vehicles. Even in Michigan weather, our car has accumulated little rust. I hope anyone reading this truly understands how much I love this car, and know that you will too.

Most versitle vehicle ive owned

by jmorrisonz34 from Mauston, WI on Sat May 06 2017

I've put over 250,000 miles on my vehicle with little to no trouble outside of the basic maintenance and preventative maintenance you experience while owning a vehicle. Ive owned over 18 cars in my lifetime and this one has proven to be the most reliable and versatile. Great towing capacity, room for 7 adults comfortably and the power to get you places.

Expeditions drive very smooth also or work horses

by Cheyenne from Palm Beach Gardens on Tue May 09 2017

Expeditions that I had was and continues to be a very good vehicle pulling a 26 foot Coachman travel trailer with two slides traveling out west was very comfortable roomy and no problems pulling a big trailer such as we did I have no complaints whatsoever about this vehicle if you want a good reliable Ford that drives smooth but is a powerful vehicle Expedition is a great choice I do not and I'm not affiliated with any car dealers whatsoever I'm just sharing my opinion thank you have a great day

Uses car for Towing

One of the best vehicles I have owned.

by Skier from Truckee on Wed Apr 12 2017

Owned for 20 years, trouble free. The expedition was a great SUV for everything. Great in heavy snow when using 4 Wheel low.

Very reliable vehicle for 18 years

by SGM Chuck from Rockwall Texas on Sun Aug 13 2017

I have owned my 97 Expedition for 18 years and have put 230,000 miles on it. Other than rebuilding the transmission at 95,000 miles and the front end at 140,000 it has been rock solid reliable!!!!!

Ford explorer 2 door

by Big red from Ackerman ms on Wed Aug 09 2017

My first paid for car and it was reliable and I had it over 8 years I got another vehicle and left it sitting in the yard over a year and when my current vehicle broke down I just went and put a battery in it and it started right up

Go On An Expedition Today

by SAS Vehicle Comparison from San Francisco, CA on Sat Mar 26 2011

The 1st generation Expedition by Ford was an instant homerun. From the sleek design of the exterior which flowed into the interior. A comfortable ride especially when optioned with the Eddie Bauer line! The performance is the only down side to the Expedition, don't let the lack of horses sway your decision as it does it's job and then some! The 5.4 Triton engine is a more desirable then the lack luster 4.6. The Expedition does drive as heavy as it's major comparable Chevy Tahoe. The Ford Expedition isn't great on gas, but it isn't the worst either! A good family vehicle and interior components can stand the test of time! I've been a fan since I first laid eyes on one when I was at a GMC lot looking at a Yukon!

Great truck

by Francisco from Aurora, CO on Fri Jul 29 2016

Had this truck for so long have put 270k miles on her. Haven't used her for over 3 years as I don't have children to haul anymore. But every so often would move her and she would start cough then purr. Don't know why I still keep this monster but she has been the most reliable truck or vehicle for that matter I have had.

Best Used SUV w/100K+ for UNDER $6K

by Millhouse from South Dakota on Thu Mar 20 2008

Previously owned a 1986 Subaru XT, 2000 Dodge Intrepid, and now a 1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4X4 ... I have put a K&N Air Filter on it, otherwise no engine work done and I have 156K on it. I bought it with 138K, tie-rods and ball-joints are about the only things I need to replace. Otherwise engine is pretty sound. It is a very sleek style and very big ... this vehicle has been through alot of off-road too, ditches, fields, random bumps. It has been roughed up a lil bit, hence the ball-joints and tie-rods, but all in all it is a solid vehicle and well worth the money.

Best Car I Have Owned

by Mom of 5 from Kentuck on Fri Jun 22 2007

This is a GREAT vehicle OVERALL!! Well, the Eddie Bauer edition is the best vehicle I have ever had.

1 2

Our Take on the 1997 Ford Expedition

By dimensions and purpose, the 1997 Ford Expedition falls somewhere between affordable housing and the next Trailways bus to Yuma.

Let's bring perspective to the incredible bulk of this sumo-utility: It weighs close to 3 tons, which is about the same as a medium bull elephant or four beached baby whales. Or three Toyota Tercels. It has seats for nine adults, and that's one guy shy of two Laker lineups.

At 6 feet, 5 inches, the Expedition is taller than Pete Sampras; at 17 feet, it's long enough to overlap parking meters. One Expedition can tow a Range Rover as a spare. With rear seats folded, there's sufficient cargo room for a lounge act.

As impractical as all this girth and tonnage... Read More