1998 Expedition

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Most Faithful vehicle Ive Ever owned

by expomike from South Carolina on February 16, 2010

This SUV is the most reliable vehicle Ive ever had. I have a 98 expedition with 285,000 miles on it and still kickin and the only thing I had to replace is the alternator and heater core. That was 6 years ago. This is by far the best SUV that ford has ever made. I'm planning on reaching another 100,000 miles. Yes I would recommend this vehicle to a friend

Great Value For the Money

by Expedition from Bethesda, MD on January 8, 2008

This SUV offers the comfort and ease of handling as a sedan, while giving great space for persons or cargo. The mileage is excellent, considering the size of this large truck. The uses of this truck range from a serious driver who will be hauling 4000 pounds, to the mom who picks up 6 kids from the soccer game. The features of the car and the ease of use make this a great buy for anyone looking for this size truck. I would reccomend this vehicle to anyone, anytime.

We Own Two, Wouldn't Own Any Other SUV

by GO COLTS! from Indianapolis, In on March 5, 2007

* Overall Rating 5 Stars * Comfort 5 Stars * Performance 4 Stars * Handling 4 Stars * Exterior Styling 5 Stars * Interior Design 5 Stars * Features 5 Stars * Value for the Money 5 Stars * Reliability 5 Stars We own two 98 Expeditions. One has 133,000 miles which we just purchased and the other has just over 84,000. I can tell you this is the most comfortable SUV in it's class by far. For Example, we go camping every year and last year we took one of them with us as my brother took along his Honda Passport. He had to tow a storage trailer and he also had to fill up the entire cargo bay with the rear seats down to accommodate their belongings. We were able to accommodate five persons as well as all of the gear needed on the trip without the use of a trailer. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants plenty of space and doesn't mind the gas mileage. Best SUV on the market by far.

i luv this truck

by Fli boi from Trenton NJ on September 7, 2007

i would recomend a test drive before buying one because of the size of thr vehicle

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Tolik from Brooklyn, NY on November 20, 2006

Great vehicle very dependable. Great work horse. This is the king of the road. Interior room is the largest in its class. Features are amazing. Simple, reliable and inexpensive.

very durable

by Bubba from Pennsylvania on July 28, 2009

other than a replaced transmission at 6000 miles this has been a very reliable SUV. all repairs have been within limits and predictable. it is a real all utility vehicle, it holds a lot of cargo, tows great and very good for long hauls.

Used SUV becomes Old Faithful

by rocco399 from Los Angeles, CA on August 11, 2006

I bought my '98 Eddie Bauer 4x4 Expedition (5.4 V*) used in '00 with 81,000 miles. 6 years later with 193,000 miles tacked up on the odometer I have only had to replace the alternator on my Expedition! It has never broke down on me nor left me stranded. I replaced the alternator myself inside of one hour including a new serpentine belt. The low volt indicator alarmed me of it's needing attention before it failed me out on the road. The electronic 4WD has been used on numerous occasions without any trouble what so ever as well. It is a gas guzzler at 12 city and 17 hwy. With gas costing over $3 and rumored to reach $4 per gallon, I drive it sparingly now as a second recreation vehicle for needed trips. I've religiously had my Expedition serviced (oil & filters) every 3-4 thousand miles. This may attribute to the motor to keep going and going and going without failure on me.

Excellent

by Wiscdriver from NE Wisconsin on September 10, 2010

Super reliable, comfortable, and a solid value for the money. I have owned my Expedition for over 5 years, bought it with 90k on it used. I have 155k on it now, and the only thing I have had to do is replace the alternator at 135k. Not as quick to get up and go as the newer models now, but the older 5.4 engines were bulletproof. Tows like a 3/4 ton truck, rides like a car. Mine does not have the air suspension, but I have never missed it once. Exterior style holds it's own 12 years later, and paint and body are still in excellent condition. Interior is very high quality, no rattles or squeaks, only a little more wind noise now due to the door seals getting worn. Design of the door panel is the best Ford has ever made, the handle to close the door is perfectly placed and the armrest is perfect height. easy to see out of, easy to drive(really easy considering its size and weight). Wife and I have been looking for a newer vehicle lately, but our older Expedition has set the bar so high we are having trouble finding something we like.

Favorite Rig Ever

by Ford from Spokane, Wa on May 30, 2011

I have owned my '98 since new. It is the perfect size for my family of 4 for camping, towing, sports, hauling all sorts of events around. Very reliable, a good looker, safe and sturdy. Used to have a 4Runner, the Expedition is way more substantial in every way. It has also held its retail value much better. The paint still looks great, chrome still shines, runs great. We load it for Bear, add 4 kids, pull our camping trailer and head to the mountains for a week. It makes me feel safe and like I can get anywhere I want with the high ground clearance. The transmission could use a few more gears, which it got in 2002 and 2005.

owned this vehicle for nearly 3 yrs

by boomerang50 from gibson,La. on March 29, 2014

Very dependable vehicle,had transmission rebuilt nearly 2 yrs ago w/2yr warranty,brand new tires,new pioneer stereo system,new windshield,cold A/C front and rear,leather seats,power everything,runs and drive's good.

1 2 3