1999 Expedition

1999 Ford Expedition

$21 - $7,417  MSRP Range
1999 Ford Expedition

Have You Driven the 1999 Ford Expedition?

Loved this truck

by luvmyexped from Austin, TX on Mon Oct 25 2010

I bought my '99 Eddie Bauer in 2001 with about 33,000 miles on it. I drove it until July of 2010, when the transmission went out with 230,000 miles on it. I absolutely loved this vehicle -- looked good, road well enough (for a truck frame), tons of storage or passenger room, comfortable interior. There was just no negative to it, except maybe the 14 miles per gallon average. INTERIOR: Very comfortable, all electric seats, all controls well placed and within easy reach. Had rear AC so was always cold, and heated up on the cold days. Lots of storage. I'm an appraiser so I live in my car, and there was room for everything without looking trashed. EXTERIOR: Loved the dual opening in back -- just the window (for hauling lumber), or the whole hatch. ENGINE: I had the 5.4L V8, which always ran great in the Texas heat. Over the 9 years I had it, I replaced brakes regularly, replaced about 5 of the 8 spark plug coil packs (@$200 each), and had the front ball joints redone at about 200,000 miles. A few other minor things here and there, but I would guess I spent a grand total of about $5k on maintenance over the years, including tires, service, oil, changes, and brakes. The ball joint job was a good chunk of that, so when you figure that in, I probably spent about $400/year for oil changes, brakes, tires, and misc. maintenance. When the tranny went out I tried 4 different mechanics, practically begging them to tell me it was worth it to fix, but they all said it was time to move on. I've since taken over my wifes 2005 Nissan Murano, and while the mileage is better (19mpg), I really miss my truck! When I've run the Murano into the ground I'm going back to an Expedition.

A Great SUV

by Dan from Lowville, New York on Mon Jan 04 2010

After two days buying the vehicle we drove home, and hit black ice. We rolled the vehicle over and land in the ditch, and landed on its wheels. We put it on 4 wheel drive and drove out of there. The only thing that happen was the mirror came off but we easily put it back on the spot and the front wheels had to be realine in the shop cost only $50.00. It is the safest vehilce we ever owned!!! Now it has 200,000 miles. So far the biggest things I had to fix was the brakes at 195,000 miles and they still had life on them, the new ones costed $1500. AND we plan to keep the vehicle unitl it can no longer be driven, then I'll buy a new one...

A great hauler

by ATL Offroad from Atlanta, GA on Mon Feb 02 2009

I have owned the Expedition since new and recently past 200,000 miles on it. The reliability has been outstanding. The only major repair it a new alternator at 160k. I love the comfort of the seats and the legroom of the 2nd row seat. The 3rd row seat is a tight fit for anybody taller than 5ft. After taking out the rear seat the 2nd row folds completely flat and is a great area for my three dogs to travel in. I choose the smaller 4.6L engine which gives me decent mileage for a vehicle this size. On a recent roadtrip I drove 532 miles on a single tank with 20.2 mpg. Normaly around town I will average 17 to 18 mpg. Unfortunately, with the smaller engine the power is not enough for this large vehicle. The transmission often downshifts on the slightest grades uphill trying to find power. I usually don't get up to freeway speeds on the on ramps. Another drawback is just the shear size of the Expedition makes it hard to maneuver around town and a parking lot. The Expedition is a great vehicle for me and I plan to keep it for another 100k miles.

One of the best cars I have owned

by OCLion from Ocean City, NJ on Sun Dec 09 2012

Bought the car new, owned it for just shy of 13 years, and only due to it's years in a moist salt air environment,( a few undercarriage parts needed to be replaced due to rust), did we start to look for a replacement. It never missed a beat, transported high school athletes, dogs, equipment and lots of family excursions. Eddie Bauer model had everything you need, and was comfortable and strong running car. I only hope the newer models are as reliable!

Great Ride!

by Expedition Believer from Lakewood, CA on Sat Sep 22 2012

We own the XLT Roll-Along (fender flair kit, oversized tires, tow pkg, video screen), purchased used with appx 60,000 a few years ago. It's still going strong with 157,000 miles, I can't believe the transmission hasn't yet gone out yet! I've been so Ford skeptical. The only problems seem to have been electronic, i.e driver's windows doesn't work, digital mileage works intermittently and leaking radiator. One other thing was they were recalled for some kind of fuel/gas leak which my husband fixed himself! Great transportation ride for family with kids! Just pile them in. Plenty of leg room for the tall. The truck drives great, easy to turn, fully adjustable seat and foot peddals for my 5.0' daughter. More fun to drive then my Lexus 430LS (2001). I'd buy this truck again.

Roomy and Reliable

by Ms. Expo from Hazel Park, MI on Fri Mar 25 2011

I've been in love with this truck for years and it only gets better whether it's a newer or older model but I just prefer the older model it has it's own unique look.

Big and Comfy - it seats 8 and has 4WD

by SUV Mom that loves Jesus from San Jose, California on Wed Jan 31 2007

When we looked at SUV's, we decided to buy the Expedition over the Durango and other comparable vehicles at the time. We also chose it over any smaller SUV's. We wanted the room, and it had a solid feel to it. The doors shut with that solid sound. Everything was just nicer quality than the competitive vehicles. It felt better in seating comfort and suspension while driving down the road. The price was comparable to the other SUV's, and it was just higher quality in every way. I put a 4 out of 5 for reliability because there were several recalls, they were all handled by the dealership with no problem, but I didn't want to put a 5 for that. The MPG was what they said, so no surprise. We've had it for 7 years and it has been a fine looking low maintenance family vehicle.

Very Sad to Part with Old Friend

by pete from Chicago on Tue Feb 18 2014

I bought my 1999 Expedition XLT in 2002 w/ 72k miles, I am the second owner. The normal mechanical issues, radiator, compressor, alternator, generator, starter, exhaust system, trailing arm suspension all had to be replaced. (just once)Maintenance was performed regularly on this vehicle. I averaged less than $800 per year on maintenance over the life of this vehicle. This truck was very dependable and made several trips of 1000 miles in a single day to see family, great road vehicle!! Never garage kept, always started on the coldest of days!!! Took vehicle in to be repaired this week and my mechanic gave me the bad news, do not spend any more money on this vehicle. My mechanic said I had some bad seals, too costly to fix. So at 305,600+ miles (original engine & tranny) I am going to trade it in on a 2005 or newer Expedition & hope I have the same luck with the next Expedition!!! I really wanted to get 400,000 miles on this truck!!!

a solid Workhorse with a little flair

by Bandvan from Philadelphia, PA on Sat Aug 10 2013

I've owned this for 6+ years and hauled 5-6 people and a trailer in just about every area from Boston to Austin frequently the whole time. Drives like a MUCH smaller vehicle, and has a better turning radius than anything comparable. It is a Ford, so it has needed attention, but the drive train itself (engine, transmission, differentials) are as near to bulletproof as I have seen. even with 165k miles on the intermittent odometer it still gets the factory spec for gas mileage and rolls as smooth as ever.

My expedition just rolled over the 200k miles.

by MIM towing her grand children around from Rome, GA on Thu Sep 21 2017

I like, like, like my expedition. It is and has been my all time favorite auto. It is my kid mobile, my truck with a cover, my vacation go to auto for size, comfort, drive ability. She just rolled over 200 K miles. I have her serviced on schedule and bath her every two weeks whether she needs it or not. This is my favorite auto. I would buy another.

Uses car for Towing

1 2 3

Our Take on the 1999 Ford Expedition

New York City is a study in the delicate ballet of power that dances back and forth across the tiny island. From buildings to moguls, everything stands tall and powerful.

The lesson one perceives from the Big Apple is that we're all power hungry. It doesn't matter whether you're trying to get across the intersection first or clawing your way up the corporate ladder. The fact is we all want more power.

So, Ford has upped the power on the Ford Expedition for 1999 -- its single-overhead-cam V-8 for 1999. The standard engine, a 4.6-liter, sees its horsepower jump from 215 to 240 with torque rising from 290 to 293 foot-pounds. The 5.4-liter sees its rating jump from 230 to 260... Read More