2002 Expedition

4.1 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Been Great

by EagleEye from Denver, Colorado on October 8, 2009

The one bad review I see on here has to be an exception. I have the 4WD Eddie Bauer and we love it. Drove the wife and kids to Disney Land from Denver, had a great time and the car never skips a beat even in the 118 degree Vegas heat. I have had no problems at all so far. I have owned it for 3 years now. It could use a little more power and mileage, but overall excellent vehicle.

This is it!

by Thunder Thighs from Philippines on March 26, 2007

Surprisingly easy to drive and maneuver. This vehicle's home is the highway, and short city trips aren't too bad at all. Fuel consumption is on the high side but that's the price to pay for a V8. Comfortable, powerful and Ford Tough

Great for family

by car conesour from sacramento, ca on September 5, 2007

great horse power, tows with ease. surprisingly easy to see out of, little blind spot area. tons of room for tall children and adult friends. nice truck feel with car like drive. plenty of room for those home depot trips, 3rd row option is exactly that, optional. easily rolls out when not needed, or folds flat or forward and out of the way allowing for Costco trips! still plenty of room with 3rd row in place! nice front captain chairs with cd changer concealed in console. I'd buy it again. Safety is worth the fuel mileage trade off. for me, no trade of at all, my kids are the priority, gas prices fluctuate.

Amazing Car

by FordLove from Macon, GA on February 10, 2016

I have owned this car for three years now and would gladly recommend it to a friend. I have put my Expedition through heck on the dirt roads and mud holes and she still keeps going. There are a few quirks, but that can be expected with any 14 year old car. I would trust this car to take me anywhere. Such a smooth and comfortable ride and decent fuel consumption for a car this large. I will be keeping my grocery-getter until the wheels fall off of it.

Best Travel Mode Every

by Travel for Fishing from Denver, Colorado on October 14, 2013

I was looking for a vehicle that had the power to pull a future camping trailer with problem, decent mileage for a big vehicle with a big V-8 at a decent price. The 2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition I found through Cars.com was just what the Dr ordered and more. It was kept meticulously clean and taken care of like it was a family pet by the previous owner. All the bells and whistles any one could want. Nothing was hidden about it. The previous owner disclosed everything I needed to know and more. I was about to buy different vehicle when this one came up for sale. I am glad I waited for this one.

good suv

by 02expo from Concord, CA on November 2, 2008

this truck is pretty good nd super reliable i have da base xlt with 2wd nd a 4.6l its not so bad on gas for being a v8 nd it rides really smooth even with after market 24" wheels this is a good truck for anything i've hauled many cars and you cnt even feel yur hauling something i recommend this suv for any need.

Great car

by Picky driver from Perris California on January 10, 2007

It is very comfortable and easy to drive. Great for a large family, never an argument on where to sit. Easy access to third row seating is a plus for us.

Weak Transmission and unsafe roof design

by 2002Expy from Miami, FL on January 21, 2015

I bought my 2002 Expedition in early 2004 and I've had this truck in the shop for repairs at least 2 times per year for many different mechanical issues. The transmission gave out at 110k miles so I had it rebuilt. Then at 140k miles the transmission was giving me trouble AGAIN. I had the A/C replaced twice. Driver-side window didn't work. Overflow tank has had a small crack along the molded line then I was having over-heating problems due to a garbage cylinder head gasket at 154k miles when shortly after I was involved in an accident in which easily I rolled over. The fact that it's a large and roomy SUV made me think it was safe but the very flimsy roof proved otherwise as I later found out by doing a little research online.

Does not recommend this car!!

Beautiful SUV

by Big Don from Beaufort, S.C. on May 23, 2014

I just bought a 2002 ford expendition and its looks and run GREAT!!!!!!! THANKS TO ALL AT WOMACK AUTO SALES, I recommend everyone go see them.

Very reliable. Not best year for the expedition

by Rswsmith from AVA on December 15, 2017

I love my expy, but if I were to buy another one, I would either go with a 99, which had a different motor and got MUCH better gas mileage, or for the same gas mileage, I'd go with a 2006 or newer that has a larger motor, better towing capacity and much nicer interior features. The 2002 has a 3rd row seat that is very bulky and you must remove the seat and store it somewhere if you want to take advantage of the large storage capacity in the back. However, the newer expeditions have a 3rd row seat that folds down into the flooring when not in use. This is a very nice feature that I would much prefer. Mechanically, it has been great. We purchased the car used with 50,000 miles, put 50,000 miles on it in 3 years and the ONLY repairs or maintenance has been to put new tires on it and routine oil changes.

1 2