2004 Explorer

4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.2 out of 5 starsReliability

Drive What You Love

by Explorer Girl from Knoxville, TN on September 27, 2013

Best vehicle that I have ever owned. Evidently my family agreed since they all borrowed it whenever they took long trips. This could be because of its comfort and great handling. I have towed everything with it from a tandem trailer to a pontoon. The mileage is not as good as our car, but then look what you get : space, 4x4 is great in snow or mud, ground clearance, great ride, towing capabilities, great price, and more. It is a fun vehicle. Things that I did not like: you must run matched tires at all times,and the faulty hinges on the rear window. After 150,000 miles it started needing lots of repairs so I made them before I traded it off. Trading it off was a big mistake. I will buy another one Ford Explorer.

Love it

by green from columbia, mo on January 17, 2012

We bought ours in 2006 w/33K miles. It runs like a top, have never had any major problems with it. Cloth seats are easy to clean, exterior still shines like a new dime. Gas mileage could be better, but overall we are very happy with our very reliable truck!

Just like new

by Dan from Oceanside, CA on September 22, 2012

I purchased a 2004 Ford Explorer on s private sale with 134000 miles. I have been in the rental car business for many years and have driven Ford Explorers quite often. This one drove exactly as I would expect from a new one. No paint wear and Ford carpets clean up like new. The leather seats have some wear and can't be made to look brand new. The best I could get was very good and with one small tear on the left side if the driver seat. Every Explorer I looked at had this same damage. Expect that a cared for Explorer should run exactly the same as a brand new one and if it doesn't then there is something wrong. The interior buttons and carpet should not be stained or worn even at high mileage. If it is then the vehicle may have been used hard. I did have to replace the alternator and an oxygen sensor but both of these were easy to diagnose and fix by ordinary mechanics.

Descent suv

by DaCarlo from on March 11, 2009

I bought 2004 used with 32,000 miles on it.Have not had any problems but I am worried because of the transmission problems I hear about.Chance u take with any vehicle.

Great bang for buck

by car dude from phx, az on July 6, 2011

I bought this SUV used when it only had 30,000 miles on it and It has 82,000 now and the only thing I have replaced was the tires, battery, and brake lights. It is very comfortable and drives like a dream, the rear air is very powerful. The front A/c is my only complaint as it seams a little weak but the rear air is so powerful it cools the car down quick even when sitting in the back third row. I love this truck and will drive it untill it can't drive anymore.

My second explorer and definitely not my last!

by Yo Max from Los Angeles, CA on February 7, 2008

Great car! I dont know what else to say. I dont regret the purchase at all. It does everything I need, though I wish the fuel economy was a little better but it was an easy fix with a new performance air filter and performance spark plugs.

Grate SUV #1 seller for a reason :-)

by Motown Man Modeto from Modesto CA on September 27, 2006

Bought this car for family duties. Third row seat a big plus. Turning radius better than our PT Cruiser! Car does what's designed to do haul people, things, and trailers on vaction. Smooth ride. Love the features auto lights, electronic door enrty used way more than I ever thought. Cons Gas Mileage, Transmission shifting sloppy.

Very Sturdy Truck!

by Proud Ford Owner from Erie, PA on May 10, 2011

I bought this truck as I wanted to drive a Full size Ford SUV. And Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer was my best bet!! It is one solid truck! Very sturdy and very comfirtable ride on freeways! I'll give it a 4.5 out of a 5! (0.5 less because of the gas mileage...but hey... if you are worried about the mpg ..why drive a ford! :))

Everything I wanted

by Now a Ford guy from Pittsburgh, PA on January 15, 2007

This was a good deal...a used 2004 with 17,000 miles, I got it for 14,000 and after my trade in I got an extra 2,500 off. I traded in a Toyota Tacoma 97'. I have had this vehicle for about 5 months now and have no complaints. I put a tornado air fliter in and I get about 22hy and 16 city.....it's what I expected. I like to enjoy the out doors and this is the vehicle to do so. The four weel auto has helped a few times and once the 4x4 high is in there is no stoping it. It is a quiet and comfortable ride that really makes you feel safe. You can get god deals on these vehicles...I never though I would buy a Ford used but it has been more that I could expect for 11,500 when it was all said and done.

Best value for money ford

by car enthusiastic from Arl. Texas on March 31, 2011

This was a great medium size suv, powerful, very comfortable. worst, poor gas mileage and electrical

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8