Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2012 Explorer

2012 Ford Explorer

2012 Ford Explorer

3.9

Have You Driven the 2012 Ford Explorer?

Great car for my use

by Skier from Cocoa. FL and Cold Spring, NY on Thu Jan 05 2012

I really like the new Explorer. I am replacing a Suburban and I retain most of the passenger capacity with a small loss is baggage-cargo capacity. And the better gas milage is a real plus. A bit underpowered but still quite acceptable. It was very comfortable on a 2 day 1200 mile trip. The electronics are awesome. The gap feature on cruise control makes it usable over a much larger set of driving conditions.

No Problems To Report

by Jimbo from Holbrook, NY on Wed Aug 21 2013

We went from our 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer to a 2012 Pearl White XLT with the step up package including, Leather, Sync, 20" Wheels and a few other goodies for just about 18 months now. There is no comparison. Not a single problem to report. Great gas mileage for an SUV. Quiet ride, comfortable interior, and a great looking extrerior. Have around 20,000 miles on it, and have had to bring it in for oil changes only. This is my wife's daily commuter, and all around everything else vehicle. Sync works everytime, all the time. When our lease is up, we will definitely get another one. I guess they can't all be perfect. Good luck to those of you having issues.

Best Mid-Sized SUV Available

by Puyallup Nickel from Tacoma, WA on Mon May 07 2012

I am completely enjoying my new 2012 Ford Explorer. Did a considerable amount of research prior to my purchase as I needed an SUV that would pull my boat and also provide decent gas mileage for my daily commute. I found both with the Ford Explorer. The new body design is sleek and nicely appointed both inside and out. I selected the XLT due to the upgraded leather interior and nice aluminum wheels plus some other niceties. Great car for the money. Only criticism was a recall note received but it was promptly managed.

Comfortable with lots of room

by Mark from New Jersey on Mon Dec 12 2011

Traded a 2009 Lincoln MKS to gain more room for hauling kids and stuff. My Explorer Limited has almost 4000 miles and I am really enjoying it. Combined fuel economy is exactly 18 mpg since new. Much more comfortable than I expected and interior room is perfect (my other choice was a Tahoe or Escallade). Like many others, my only complaint is with the My Touch Sync system. The older version was much more user friendly and had none of the issues of this latest version. Ford informs owners that a fix will be delivered in January. Had it not been for the Sync issues, this vehicle would have scored higher.

Very comfortable SUV

by SUV Enthusiast from Edison, NJ on Sat Dec 10 2011

I have owned many SUVs and crossovers from many manufacturers. I had the Ford Explorer XLT as a rental vehicle for five days. I have to say Ford has done a lot to improve their vehicles in the past several years. The Explorer is a great example. Lots of attention to details such as the "Explorer" badge in headlight housing that typically you would see on luxury vehicles, air diffusers for side view mirrors. The ride quality is superb, very comfortable seats and very quiet ride, thanks to the sound absorbing double layer windshield and passenger windows. Usable third role seats. Performance and handling is very good consider the weight and size. Steering has balanced weight and effort, transmission shifts at right points. Gas mileage is not bad either, I average 21MPG in mixed driving speed with heater on and 40-50 degrees weather and uses regular gas. The biggest complaint I have is the SYNC, my phone disconnects frequently and the system itself reboots frequently, the car only had 2,000 miles, voice recognition works 80% of the time. The touchscreen gets washed out in sunlight and the system responds slowly. If Ford can get the SYNC system sorts out it will be a very competitive car in its segment. Third role seat head rest can be smaller for better driver rear visibility. I'm impressed overall.

I Love the Explorer, slick, clean great

by powell from Orange County, CA on Mon Oct 28 2013

I have owned the explorer for 1.5 years and love it. The air codition seats and automatic remote starter is great for S. Cal weather. I have the pearl white with black int. and looks fantastic. When driving, you are at a perfect hight. Not to high up and not low. I am very please with my Explorer and will be buying another one in the future. Not the most powerful but plenty to get the job done.

Best suv ever owned

by suv guy from Jackson , MS on Fri Jun 01 2012

I bought a 2011 ford explorer limited 4wd! Its by far the best suv i've owned! Good gas milage, great looks, sync system work great! Its Awesome!!

Very good buy

by Johnnie from Pittsboro,nc on Mon Apr 16 2012

Only problem I encountered was visibility forward and to the rear if not equipped with a camera. Also, entry and exit is a problem if power seat is at top of adjustment. Styling and performance are excellent.

2012 Explorer

by gratclif very quie from destin fla on Sat Jul 27 2013

we have owned several explorers and this is by far the best yet.very quiet, great mileage for a 4700 # vehicle. very smooth riding. like I said, best one yet

Do not buy an Explorer

by Jay from Livonia, MI on Thu Oct 29 2015

This is my last Ford vehicle, reliability is poor at better. Thus far it has needed the second row seat replaced, rear brake caliper rust and locked, hood corroded and bubbled the paint, 4x4 power transfer unit ground its self up. Steer clear of the Explorer.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2012 Ford Explorer

Editor's note: This review was written in March 2011 about the 2011 Ford Explorer. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Ford's rebirth has come as a result of the successful rollout of the redesigned Taurus large sedan and Fusion midsize sedan, but the brand hasn't found much success with its recent SUV and crossover strategy.

Instead of delivering a traditional crossover or minivan, Ford came out with the funky-looking Flex, which wowed journalists like us at Cars.com, but left buyers flat. Ford had to go back to the drawing board.

In hopes of delivering a successful three-row crossover... Read More