2006 Focus

3.8 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Still Great Transportation in 2014

by Mr. Focus 2 from CT on March 15, 2014

Nearing 100,000 miles on it now and it still runs great! One repair of Power Steering Pump in all these years, expect this car to last a good long time into the future. Granted, a large part of having a lasting car is taking good care of it and this I have done. Maybe other owners who have had bad experiences haven't?? Or if they are second-hand owners, the first owner didn't take care of it? I don't know, I may have just lucked out with a great pick regardless of a well maintained car. -Good Gas Mileage -Very Reliable -It's no race car but it still has plenty of pep for passing on the highway, yield sign quick accelerations etc. -Very low running costs from oil changes, insurance, normal wear and tear items, etc. Love my focus, I don't think I'll ever get rid of it.

All in all a good car so far

by commuter from Seattle, WA on May 9, 2008

I bought a 2006 ZX4s, the sporty model with the 2.3L engine. It was a lease car. What I like about it is pretty much what has been said - handling, power, good gas mileage. All in all I'm satisfied. Two annoying little things though. Fit and finish isn't as good as the subaru I traded in. On of the doors rattles when you hit any small bump. The lcd display in the radio fades out after it's on awhile. It was a good value for the money, maybe not as good a car as a Honda, but then again it didn't command the higher price.

excellent for it's class!

by davedish from Pittsburgh, PA on December 3, 2012

I bought this car with just under 60K miles 1 year ago. I'm approaching 90K now, and I couldn't be happier! In a years time, I spent $40 on a clutch master cylinder, and another $40 for two new license plate lamps (to correct a blowing fuse in the parking light circuit). With current fuel avg at 32.93 mpg and a zippy 5 speed, cavernous hatchback payload capacity with the seats folded down, it covers all the bases brilliantly. My only wish would have been to get a ZX5 so I could have installed a rack on the roof! To think the insurance company wrote this little baby off because of some hail damage...for shame!!

Been A Good Car

by sumac3 from Chicago, IL on September 2, 2006

Got the wagon version the day after my beloved Honda Civic was totalled in an accident by a minivan. Got it on a friend's recommendation, had to have a car immediately so I didn't spend more than a day checking out whatever I could. The field of possibilities was dramatically reduced to just two, as all the rest couldn't be bothered to even speak to me or answer a question. (Yes, I am female.) Other than expected maintenence, the only PROBLEM(s) has been power window mechanisims which have broken (twice). MINOR COMPLAINT: seats not adjustable for a small person- My head never falls in the headrest's (fixed) position. OVERALL RECOMENDATION: I drive it hard, it handles well and I have a great mechanic who watches out for it's welfare. Car has been good for me.

Most reliable car I've owned

by Tamarined from Portland, OR on November 16, 2017

This car is comfortable, has awesome get-up-and-go, I've kept up on the basic maintenance, and it's never given me any problems.

It's a good car

by Mr. Focus from RI on May 15, 2013

I bought this car new and it hasn't given me any serious problems. I have about 75K on it now which is still pretty light. I drive this car hard but she's holding up well. I just had the power steering belts and everything else power steering replaced which was about $800, But all in all I really can't complain, only thing I've ever had to fix that wasn't normal wear and tear. I did the brakes and rotors myself (I'm no mechanic and it's the first fix I've ever done, but this car is pretty simple) this past year and it now drives like a gem. This truly is a great little car, I love it! The steering is surprising tight, in a good way, good gas mileage even driving hard I still get 20-25 overall. I plan on getting another car in the next year or two, but I'm keeping this Focus as well. It's a fun little car to drive, reasonable in price, and we've had some great times so I'm not getting rid of her. I did keep very good care of this car, all preventative maintenance, always got alignments when needed to which aren't cheap, flushed steering fluid, brake fluids etc. so maybe that's why some of these people have more problems with their cars, bc their previous owner didn't take care of it. But I also only have 75K so we'll see.

Functional, Not Plush

by Functional from Chicago on February 1, 2016

I have driven a 2006 5 speed manual focus wagon for about 45,000 miles. I find it fun to drive although not zippy and needing to be revved up for quicker starts. The interior is roomy for both hauling and people for this relatively small car. The ride on the highway is somewhat noisy. One perplexing issue with an electrical short in the wiring across the hinge of the upward swinging back door led to mechanics replacing fuses, alternator and battery before identifying deteriorated wire insulation and easily repairing with electrical tape. HVAC controls have been problematic. Now need to replace struts at 90,000 miles. Otherwise a reliable car. With a heavy foot I have gotten about 21-22 around town and 31-33 on the highway. Not plush but functional.

A Good Value

by Tony from Quinton, VA on December 5, 2007

I've had this car for nearly 2 years and it's been a very dependable vehicle. I drive 75+ miles per day (41,000 since purchased), and have consistantly gotten 30 mpg +. It performs well in and out of traffic (although it's underpowered) and I was impressed with the cargo space. It reminds me of a mini SUV, except it gets great gas mileage.

2006 ZX3 SE Nice Car, but needs improvement

by SouthTexasGuy from South Texas on June 12, 2007

I bought my '06 Focus SE in Feb. '06. So far the car has been very reliable. I travel long distances quite often and it always gets me there with no problems. There are a few things that need improvement. The plastic wheel covers turned bright yellow after only 2k miles. The dealer replaced them, but the new ones turned yellow 3k miles after that. Another thing is that I believe all standard trans vehicles should be equipped with a tachometer. My Focus is the mid level model with std trans, the tach should not be an option, but a standard feature (as many focus owners know, holding the trip reset button while starting the car will give you access to the car's computer and you can view your RPM's digitally, but its a pain to always have to reset your trip). Also, ford needs to work on the braking system. My brakes started squealing after only 5k miles. From what I have seen, this is a problem with ALL Focuses. My best friend had a 2000 focus with the same problem, he traded it in for an '03 focus and still had the same problem. Interior styling is nice, engine performs well. Overall, a very reliable car.

Great Car! Put this one at the top of the list!

by Bobinator3010 from St. Clair Shores, MI on January 26, 2011

This is the best car that I have ever driven because the great fuel economy (above 30 mpg), the comfort, the reliability and price! The car has great features. The audio from even the standard speakers is fantastic. I like the CD holder below the steering wheel for storage. The car has great acceleration and braking, although it can feel a little spongy at times. Another thing that I do not like about the car is that there are no head rests in the back, so if I get in a fender bender with passengers in the back, they could have whip lash. The truck is absolutely cavernous and so is the leg room in the front. Although I myself am not tall, my tall father easily fits in it. The speedometer and such is easily read and available. The seats in the front and back are very comfortable. The interior noise is a little loud, but for the price, I cannot complain to much. I highly recommend this vehicle.

1 2 3 4 5 6