2005 Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle

2005 Ford Freestyle

4.3

Have You Driven the 2005 Ford Freestyle?

One of my Favorite Fords

by Ford Enthusiast from Illinois on Mon Nov 19 2012

My family has owned 12 Fords in the last 35 years. They are comfortable and roomy-important for a family of 7, and 3 men above 6 feet tall. Traded my high mileage Freestyle for an Edge, because Ford stopped making the Freestyle. Wish I had my old car back, I dislike the Edge and would buy another Freestyle in a heartbeat!

Extremely Pleased with the Ford Freestyle

by W Washington Dad from Seattle area on Mon Oct 03 2011

My wife and I bought an 05 Freestyle SE 2WD new in 05. We were expecting our 1st child and wanted a safe vehicle to haul people, our big dog, and all the stuff that goes along with it. We chose the Freestyle, it proved a good decision. The Freestyle has been a very reliable vehicle over the 102,000 miles we put on it. Fuel ecomony was adequate but the engine had to work hard at times in city traffic (18-20MPG). Highway driving was where the vehicle excelled getting 25-27MPG. We would have kept it for years to come, but we ended up experiencing the Volvo designed saftey features in a front end collison at freeway speeds. No one was hurt but the car was a total loss. Better to lose the car than the family. We made the perfect choice.

not a bad car

by PPRS from Bonita Springs, FL on Sat May 26 2012

bought the 2005 Freestyle with 50.000 miles on it in 2009. When i purchased the car from the dealer they did change the AC compressor since it was not cooling properly. Good Gas mileage, between 19/20mpg in city and 25+mpg on the highway. I had to exchange so far the battery, the sway bars ($ 200) in the front and normal oil changes, now the front brake pads are due and the resurfacing of front rotors ($ 150 package). I had a noise in the front going over bumps so Ford quoted me a $ 1.000 repair for new front Struts and mounts. Went to 3 different repair shops, they all quoted $700- 800 until a smaller garage found out its the sway bars and fixed it for around $ 200. Its a common problem, even the Struts starting at around 50K miles... so be aware when you testdrive a used one with high miles and you hear a noise. Styling is great, loading and transportation too. The ride is compfy and quiet. Unfortunately it only can tow 2000lbs... a small trailer 6x10 weights 1200lbs alone when empty. I added a satellite radio, sound is great. Leather at the driver seat cracked pretty much and clear coat on front bumper starts peeling, but I'm in Florida lots of sun. Will have that repainted, ( $ 175). Good car just watch for the little things like usual. The CVT supposed to have a lifetime warranty which expires with the second owner.

Exactly what we needed!!!!

by Freestylin' in Ohio from Dayton, Ohio on Tue Jun 30 2009

We bought our Freestyle used in '05 right before the birth of our son. It had about 12,000 miles on it. It was a Godsend; I love this car. We now have two children and two dogs. We haul them everywhere in our Freestyle. We have been on several vacations, road trips, camping etc... with this vehicle and it has yet to give us any problems. We are now over 65,000 miles and it still rides great and gets decent gas mileage. I would buy another when we are in the market again (if Ford still makes them).

Rides like a dream

by dogshow from henrietta, ny on Thu Jan 29 2009

I bought my 2005 Freestyle in 2006 with 11,000 miles on it. I now have 62,000 miles on it. I bought it for its size, since I have a large dog and go to many dog shows and pack tons of stuff. It rides great, quiet, smooth. I have never had a problem. Need now to get a new battery and break pads. I was having problems with the power steering. Brought it to the dealer and discovered it was a broken shaft. I have to pay $100 deductible to get it fixed. I love the many ways you can conform the interior seats. I thought I would tri a Honda element because of the rubber flooring and awd. UGH. I couldn't stand the noise, and the bumpy ride. I need comfort. Oh I get 19mpg in the city and 25-26 on Highway.

Great Vehicle

by Family Guy from Cincinnati on Tue Aug 04 2009

Bought our 2005 Freestyle used two years ago, and it is a great vehicle. Solid, dependable, no problems. Only dislike is the cloth seats. Any spill does NOT come out. I have two small kids and like most kids, the have accidents. Other than that, a great vehicle. AWD is fantastic in the snow!

Seriously impressed - great off road/winter

by EuroCarGuy from Fort Wayne, IN on Fri Jan 09 2015

This crossover is great! It can really do it all. I bought it because didn't want a huge Explorer or Excursion but still wanted something close to that that would be good in winter and could climb so off road hills for our undeveloped land in W.V. As most people say this car does great pretty much everywhere and does good on gas too. But I was most impressed driving it this winter, the AWD system in this car seems extra strong/smart. Even with bad tires I got around so much better in this than all my co-workers. Also it did great in the off road scenario too, theres a bit of an issue with clearance if you're going really hardcore but for most people this will be more than capable. Great value! Love it.

Love this vehicle!

by Freestyle Lover from Erie, PA on Mon Aug 18 2014

We purchased this vehicle new and have had no regrets--and I'm still driving it. Besides being roomy and comfortable, I've had no major issues with it. The air conditioning is on its last legs but at 225,000 miles on the vehicle, I'm not complaining! I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off which at the rate I'm going will be another 9 years! There is no body rust, the engine is still running strong, and I've had no problems with transmission. The only complaint I have is that I have to put a set of tires on it about every 12-14 months. However, I live in the snow belt and run all-season tires on it year-round with no need for snow tires. I wish all vehicles were this reliable.

Perfect Family Vehicle!

by Loving my Freestyle! from New Jersey on Tue Jan 02 2007

I purchased my Ford Freestyle Limited brand new at the end of the model year. I test drove the Escape, Explorer, and Freestyle and fell in love with the car-like driving experience of the Freestyle. In the past 15 months or so that I've owned this vehicle, I can honestly say that I do not have a single complaint about its performance. I am averaging slightly below the advertised mpg at about 18-21 mpg even though I do mostly highway driving. I purchased this vehicle with the entertainment system, which I would not hesitate to do again - my teenage kids LOVE it! and it has been the saving grace on long trips. If I were pressed to pick something to change about this vehicle, I would add the ability to plug and play an iPod and I would add another accessory plug (for cell phone, etc) to the front (there is one on the dash and one inside the center console which is not highly convenient). Overall, this vehicle has so many wonderful features; I would not only recommend it to my friends (and do), I would buy another one!!

2005 Freestyle

by runninghorse1 from Lambertville, NJ on Tue Mar 25 2014

My wife and I commuted to work together for many years and only had one car between us. When the time came to buy a second car, I wanted an American made vehicle (lower repair costs) that would be All Wheel Drive for her to feel comfortable in all of the snow that we had. I wanted a vehicle that would drive like a "car" but have room in the back for her occasional flea marketing table and merchandise bins. All but the drivers seat fold flat, This car would hold 7 people without being packed. It rides a bit higher than most cars which is nice. I bought mine with 81K miles and the transmission was replaced by the one prior owner at 40K. I saw that on the carfax report and other reviewers said that they had unusual trans failure with low mileage. But, since it has been replaced, there are no issues. The Ford Freestyle was only made for three years. Not sure why this was not promoted more by Ford. I've had mine for a month and my wife is very happy with it. All good!

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2005 Ford Freestyle

Say this for the all-new 2005 Ford Freestyle: It's appropriately named. It's so free-verse that it defies labeling. Is it a sport-utility vehicle? A minivan with four doors? A high-riding wagon?

Well, yes, on all counts.

Ford calls it a midsize crossover vehicle, and that describes it as well as anything. It handles like a passenger car but can carry weighty cargo and play in the mud like a true SUV.

During a weeklong test drive, the Freestyle SEL with all-wheel drive and a continuously variable transmission was equally nimble on pavement or on a mild, off-road course about an hour's drive north of Sacramento. And for my money, it came off as one of the best products Ford has introduced in years.

Surprised? I... Read More