Read or write a review.

4.4
Average based on 12 reviews

Beyond what I had expected

by from Chattanooga, TN on March 24, 2008

My Ranger now has 189,000 miles. It has the optional 4.0L V6 with the 5sp automatic transmission. It starts imediately and runs perfectly. After all the miles the interior and exterior still look new and the truck has no rattles. The engine is almost too powerful for a small truck but moves it without effort. There is a price to be paid though for this power as I only get 19 MPG. Other than mediocre gas mileage, I can't think of one thing to say bad about this truck. I am planning on driving it for another 100,000 miles. Maybe it will start rattling then.

Best compact truck of that year

by from Florida on September 30, 2009

220K miles and still running strong. Looks good, drives excellent and no complaints at all. I love it!!!

Too many problems to love it...

by from pa on January 18, 2009

I bought my 98 Ranger with about 120,000 miles. It now has around 135,000 miles. It has a 4.0L V6 and a 5-speed manual transmission, as well as 4-wheel drive. It has most power options (power windows, doorlocks, mirrors, remote keyless entry, alarm). Pros: Great looking exterior, this vehicle was never garage kept and the paint looks almost new, save a few scratches and dings here and there, no signs of rust on the body. Amazing handling for a pickup, even with the factory offroad package it handles as good as or better than a car. Power is good on flat surfaces, accelerates quickly. Comfortable seats. Shifts smoothly. Strong brakes, even going down mountains. Amazing heater and A/C, heater gets hot crazy fast, and A/C is cold. Cons: No power on hills, constantly downshifting. Non-inspiring fuel economy. I average 17 - 19 mpg, highway driving I get about 21. Difficult to access rear seat area without optional 4-door setup. Electrical problems: power window switches were replaced twice, dashlights are always going out and coming back on, passenger pdl only works occassionally. ABS signal is lost in right front wheel often, causing ABS light to come on, does not affect braking at all. Interior has recently developed rattles that were not there when I purchased the truck (especially drivers door, interior panels on the doors are a little flimsy) Various mechanical issues (spark plug coil, plugs, wires, alternator twice, crank shaft sensor, antifreeze leak) all of which happened within 10,000 miles and ended up costing a lot of money, some of the problems (such as the alternator and the crank sensor) meant that the truck wouldn't start. Will sometimes refuse to shift into 4x4, I have to shift back and forth from neutral to first or reverse a a bunch of times before it will engage. Overall, I could have really loved this truck if it wouldn't have so many little problems that never seem to end. Now that everything seems to be mechanically OK, it's very fun to drive.

Darn Good Economical Truck

by from Fort Worth on February 10, 2013

Put 90K miles on it as a second owner. Would not sell it now, except had 3rd child and Jump seats just are no longer convenient to 5 foot tall plus children. Did Maintenance, and replaced a water pump and radiator in all that time, and water pump may have been my bad due to insufficient changes of antifreeze/flushing of system.

Best Compact Pickup Ever

by from Iowa on February 28, 2007

I love it. I get 30 MPG with the 2.5L 4 Cylinder. It has tremendoes power for a 4 Cylinder. It is very reliable.

Love it despite its faults

by from Wisconsin on April 8, 2011

Probably doesn't run the best because it's been to you know where and back twice. This thing has hauled it all from trees to a full bedload of gravel. Gas mileage is lucky to sniff 16 mpg (mostly because we really overworked the engine). It's a tough little sucker though and I'll drive it til she dies. One warning, the RWD package offers the worst snow driving experience imaginable. Worse than any compact sedan unless you get some really good (expensive) tires.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

good looking and reliable

by from Seattle Wa. on July 15, 2007

My Ranger is very reliable and still good looking. It has been garaged all its life so that has kept its paint in good shape. It has never failed to start and does not use any oil. Everything still works great and the upholstery has held up extremely well. The vehicle has147000 miles and the only engine noise it makes is intermittent lifter clatter at idle.

Solid little pickup,,check rust on frame 1st

by from Eastern mountians of Pa on October 10, 2015

I recently bought a Step side 98 ranger 4.0.only 80k original miles. I been searching on line for sometime to find a clean 5 speed to tow behind my motorhome. They ask top dollar for these trucks beyond what book value is even older with high mileage 150k or more and that alone says something for them . I was able to find a diamond in the rough from a private seller and she bought it from someone 2 years prior who for 14 years took great care of it, it had to have been garaged. The biggest thing you need to look for is rust on the frame. The body will not show rust out. They will rust through cross members and rear part of frame by spare tire and even rust off. Lucky for me the original owner had this area welded and the frame treated to minimize rusting which saved it to last 17 years. It had typical surface rust but it was solid throughout. I just brushed off rust then retreated the entire frame to insure it will endure and will continue to treat it. Being garage kept and not used as work truck probably saved it and is how it will continued to be cared for with me.The body and interior were amazingly clean and scratch free, still looks new. I compounded paint to bring it back 100% Being 17years old and runs fine says they do hold up. Like I said, I spent weeks and weeks on line looking for one and drove 4 hours to see it and buy it. This private owner sold it as what book value was for it. I did breaks all around and fixed minor issues last owner did not see. I did well and if you shop and be patient they are out there. I had Fords my whole life and was never let down so far and I am 60 All that said only issue I can see is rust on chassis if it has not been treated or maintained. This seemed to be issue with these truck through 2003

This is great

by from on April 7, 2010

This a great truck for people that want something they can haul something in and still get great gas millage!!

Work truck

by from Frederick Md on May 7, 2013

Drive like a truck a little rough and has very little traction. I had to put a new motor in it after 95,000 miles But it works well know. Mine is the v6 model.

Our Expert Review: 1998 Ford Ranger