Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1996 Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus

$210 - $3,854  MSRP Range
1996 Ford Taurus

3.9

Have You Driven the 1996 Ford Taurus?

176,000 and still going

by Taurus owner from Rochester, NY on Sat Oct 28 2006

I bought this car used and now have 176,000 miles on it. I haven't had any major problems, just normal repairs like brakes. I recently heard that they are going to stop selling the taurus which is a shame. It's been the most reliable car I've owned in a long time.

Taurus wagon, best bang for the family buck

by njvig64 from new jersey on Fri Apr 30 2010

The Ford Taurus wagon may not be the most beautiful thing to look at, but went it comes to hauling your family (up to 8 people) and getting 21 mpg while traveling at 75-80 mph on the highway, the 3.0 motor is the only choice for me. I have four children and need a inexpensive family hauler.

Most reliable car I have ever had.

by Rocky "the Taurus lover" from Salisbury, Maryland on Fri Feb 08 2008

Wish I never sold it for the price I did. I now realize it was an insult towards my blue baby. Someday I hope to get another one just like it or get a newer model to fill that void from wich i left behind. The Taurus in my opinion was the smartest move for Ford to have built something that reliable.

SHO-tastic

by SHO owner from Quincy, MA on Mon May 29 2006

Bought a 96' SHO for $1850.00 and let me tell you: this car is a kick in the pants! aslong as you take care of the car it'll last forever, I owned a 95 taurus se as my first car and it was my baby, but owning an SHO was my dream car.

Love this car

by Justin from PA on Fri Sep 29 2006

The handling is amazing it is very comfortable and i love the shifter place. Its a comfortable ride and ive never had much problems with it.

first car still kickin with 211k on it

by Jenny from Mass on Sat Aug 22 2009

my mom bought me my ford taurus when i was 16 and a half as my first car. its still kickin but not as good as it was when i got it obviously. i would drive to new hampshire and back once a week to visit a friend at school and i got 400 miles on one tank of gas at one point. i have been bumped and tapped by a few cars but i barely feel it and i feel safe in my car. it was definately a reliable safe first car. i just wish mine had a cd player but other than that i cant complain at all.

Great American car

by First time Ford owner from Colorado on Sat Feb 23 2008

I bought my Taurus wagon in 1999. It now has 150,000 miles on it. Little things are starting to give out -- nothing that involves safety or the basic functions but annoying little things. The last straw is happening --- the MPG is routinely dipping below 20 which is my personanl benchmark. I have gotten as much at 30 mpg but not lately! This is the first American car I have ever bought also the first automatic transmission. I've really enjoyed the Taurus but it's time to go back to Toyota or Subaru!

96 taurus GL

by built ford tough from North Andover, MA on Thu May 25 2006

This is a great first car. It has some speed, good acceleration, handles well, is engineered pretty well, and is cheap to buy parts for. The interior is a little more fragile than it is in most other cars. Nice design with the grooved sides. If treated well, you will get ten to fifteen years out of it. If it is abused, 120k miles tops.

I hate this car

by Ryazan from on Wed Jul 02 2014

I've had my taurus for about a year now.. Here's what's gone wrong in this year. 2 new engines because of broken cylinders 1 rebuilt transmission replaced all the brake line because they rotted out replaced the radiator to stop from over heating. Worked for a week then the thermostat broke fixed that. Then my coolant reservoir cracked. Replaced that then replaced my coolant lines. And finally the water pump went. Just replaced that and now there's a new problem that I can't figure out. Never again will I own a taurus of any year. I don't care if it's brand new I can not drive it

Does not recommend this car!!

Never buying another FORD!

by Froggy from Fond Du Lac, WI on Wed Feb 01 2012

My car has almost 200,000 miles on it. It suffers from extreme paint peeling. Going on it's 3rd transmission, the mirrors break rather than bending in as on some car models. The seat belts either don't retract as they should or they retract constantly and don't loosen back up- they are not useable. The seals around all of the window's are really bad. Power steering leak- Odd electronic problems. My interior light sensor is bad doesn't turn the lights off when door is shut. Very hard car to work on yourself- you have to have a lift just to get to the spark plugs.. Also the cup holders are junk, and there aren't any for backseat, the lighter plug stopped working so you can't plug anything in. For the pro's when the transmission worked it had real get up and go and it turned well when the power steering worked. I will NEVER EVER buy a car like this again!

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2

Our Take on the 1996 Ford Taurus

Amid complaints that you could buy a Taurus in any color, but not cheaply, Ford brought out a price leader Taurus G sedan for 1996 that's carried into 1997 with one change, a new blue denim exterior color. The prices stays at $18,545, which includes $550 for freight.

The G keeps it simple with black rather than body-colored side moldings, rocker panels and mirrors. There's also no power locks and no chance to buy the 3-liter, 200-h.p., Duratec V-6.

You have to settle for locks that function one door at a time when you press the button or insert key. You really don't appreciate power locks until you do without, especially in a midsize sedan that takes more effort to get toeach button than... Read More