1997 Metro

1997 Geo Metro

4.4

5 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 1997 Geo Metro?

Best Mileage Last Longer

by Greencastle Native from Greencastle, IN on Wed Jun 16 2010

The 97 Geo Metro is by far the best car made, both for fuel economy (I average 39) and for dependability (mine has 200187). This car is the king of budget vehicles in every week, cheap to buy, cheap to repair and cheap to keep on the road in every way! Don't make a mistake and let any one of these wonderful cars slip through your hands!! Wish they were still made! You can thank the big 3 for not still making this car and that isn't the 1st time they have made a big mistake!!

Great Car

by jagster from So. Ca. USA on Mon Sep 05 2011

For the money, this little eco. car is by far the most reliable car on the market (at the time).. I own two vehicles made by suzuki, a chev. sprint, and a geo metro.. I have currently 335000 miles on my Geo metro,1997, and its still going strong.. A/C is still blowing like an Alaskan winter (with only occasional recharges) I have relpaced the transmission once, and the clutch twice (normal maintanince) the gas milage is great, and the car is quiet as can be.. if you have the oppertunity to by one of this out of production vehicles used, grabe it.. clean it up and do your normal maintance, drive it with confidence.. The engine in this vehicle is a 1.0 Litter, has never been worked on, never been opened up, never had a single issue... Still no leaks, and oh yes, I've replaced the water pump, and timming belt. When replacing the timming belt, it after over 160000 miles still looked good...

Excellent value

by Geo Lover from Reno,NV on Thu Feb 28 2013

The '97 Metro LSI that I just recently bought from a dealer on Cars.com is an excellent buy. The small 4 cylinder engine is not a powerful sports car engine, but where it lacks in pickup it rewards with outstanding gas mileage. Easy to park and maneuver around town. The more gas prices go up, the more I save!

Loyal Little Geo

by GeoPower from California on Tue Sep 08 2009

I gotta say, I was very skeptical about purchasing a Geo, let alone a used one. I asked around and found some people who had Geo's and what they thought. Everyone agreed that they loved their Geo, it was dependable, got good gas mileage and that it lasted forever. just what I wanted to hear. So I took the plunge and bought my little Geo. I bought her with 117,000 miles.. not too bad. I also have to say I bought her with a Salvaged titled. she was in a wreck so she has minor cosmetic injuries which I dont mind. about a year after i bought her I had to replace the CV joints. something that I probably wont have to do ever again. and about a month ago, I had to replace the Head Gasket. SO, I mean, yes, she has had some surgeries, but now that those are taken care of, she is awesome. Geo's aren't exactly top notch in the quality dept. Some one once described them as, "a tin can on wheels" pretty much the truth. very BASIC interior features, cheap materials.. because she was at one point rear-ended everything is lopsided. the front window doesnt completely seal when I close it, the trunk leaks when it rains... the baack drivers side door is jammed and cracks when you open it... the antena is broken off so the reception is... not great. and two things I noticed about ALL Geos. the head liner on teh ceiling is quick to come off and sag. and the dash is quick to burn in the sun... so.. beware. But, with all that said, the car may be a little funky but it is a RELIABLE little thing and goes and goes and gets amazing gas mileage will last and last as long as you take care of it and change the oil regularly and do all those minor little car check ups...

Reliability and more

by Mom from Moab, UT on Sun Feb 06 2011

I bought this car used, with a salvaged title years ago. Drove it for 5 years. My son and his friends always called it the clown car. I gave the car to my son for his first car and at first he didn't want his friends to see him driving it until his friends seen what the gas mileage was like on it. Then they all changed there tunes. My son would take it and all his friends in it up on Hummer tour trails around Moab, Ut. It is amazing how many High School boys you can fit in one of these and still make it up the trails around here. My son drove it all threw High School and then finaly sold it and he has kicked himself ever sence. I see it around town ever now and then and just smile! It has given us great memories. If you are looking for a great car this is it! And even thow they are a little plain, they can be fixed up to look pretty cool! Have you ever seen spinners on a Geo? Pretty cool looking with the right paint job!

I own a 1992 Geo Metro

by Bob, Robert from Columbia, Tn. 38401 on Sat Feb 12 2011

I bought my Geo Metro new, and have 240,000 on it and have had only a starter replacement at 65,000 mi., struts at 100,000 mi. with lifetime replacement's. My car still does not require any addition of oil in every 3,000 mi oil change. I average 38 to 46 MPG all the time. Why isn't this automobile, (3 cyl.) still made? It doesn't make sense. It is a perfect car that will cruise at 75 MPH all day and will do 100MPH if needed or could probably cruise all day at 100MPH if conditions were allowed. I will never sell my Geo Metro, although I have a new Nissan Altima 3.5 that I use sometimes.

scooby runs strong

by Buzzard from rothbury,mi on Fri Aug 05 2011

this car has been the best car we have ever had. We replaced the engine at 140000 miles due to bad matinee. We got the car back in 2001 and it's still running. Just watch out for the bottom rusting out. This car was gms best little car. Long live the geo metro lsi

best gas milage i ever had

by heap2011 from ellisville,IL on Sun Nov 29 2009

i bought my 1997 geo metro lsi in may 2009 and have put 10,00 miles on it since...... it is currently up to 130,000 miles and im still loving the car. its so inexspensive to take care of and if you treat them right they last forever

my go cart

by flowmaster from de pere, wi on Tue Sep 08 2009

bought used in 2001 and haven't had any problems so far. not the quickest car but it wasn't built for speed. installed uniroyal tiger paw tires this year and it made a world of difference in handling and traction. it was like a different car. wish i hadn't skimped on tires all these years. fun to drive use it mostly to commute to work.

Never had a problem since purchase

by ThriftyWithMoney from MD on Sat Apr 19 2008

Best car for the money I've ever owned. I use Mobil 1 oil and wear on the engine is virtually zero as it approaches 200,000 miles. Other than brakes and tune ups, zero problems with this excellent handling car. I'm 6' tall and drive this little gem in comfort.

1 2

Our Take on the 1997 Geo Metro

Here's a recipe for discomfort:

Take one 6-foot-6-inch driver. Fold into a Geo Metro coupe. Shake well.

Ouch.

The two-door Metro is tiny. Designated as a subcompact, it's an economy critter designed to carry several small people with the least amount of expense. It's a member of a niche market where awesome gas mileage and parking ease reign supreme.

Despite the common-sense appeal, this is not a high-volume segment of the U.S. automotive world, less than 3 percent. In such places as London, Paris, Tokyo or Singapore, a Metro fits right in sizewise. And maybe in congested U.S. cities such as New York, Philadelphia or Chicago.

But here in the Valley of the Sun, where jacked-up pickup trucks... Read More