NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2016 Canyon

2016 GMC Canyon

2016 GMC Canyon

4.4

Have You Driven the 2016 GMC Canyon?

One.Sharp.Truck. Plus performance and comfort. 5*

by Mcjhne from Bath, Maine on Wed Jan 17 2018

We live in Maine (primarily) and Florida (part time) with our just completed Maine location in the woods necessitating a 4WD vehicle. We had decided for various reasons to get a truck, not an SUV type vehicle. We did not want a full size gigantic truck, and it also needed to be a comfortable ride for making our trips to Florida and back. We knew we wanted mid sized truck, 4 doors, short bed, and a relatively comfortable interior. It had to be comfortable driving for both my 6 foot husband and myself...5'4". So we had fairly specific requirements. We researched and looked at all the mid sized trucks.....the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, and Canyon. Checked out the Ridgeline as well. The GMC was far and away the winner for us both. We found a 2016 SLE (which we actually preferred over the highest level SLT) that ticked all the boxes including price. It had just 9400 miles on it and two full years of factory warranty. Trading in our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe bare bones Sport we paid 20 K for our truck. The exterior is outstanding. This is truly, visually, just a stand out truck. The lines are super sharp. I've had countless comments from many people as to what a great looking truck it is. The interior is also very nice. Plenty of room in the back seat, tested with our late 20's 2 sons. Front seats supportive and have proven very comfortable.....notably FAR more comfortable than the Santa Fe we traded in. The 8 inch touch screen radio is an absolute gem. Very intuitive.....anyone familiar with using a smart phone or tablet will find it easy to use. The voice recognition is fabulous, it will read your text messages and allow you to verbally respond. It streams Pandora and has Sirius XM availability. We transferred our subscription to the new truck and enjoy this feature. The back up camera is fantastic. I've never driven a vehicle that had one.....and having had two shoulder replacements it was always difficult to turn and back so it's a game changer for me. The sight lines are great and the visibility in this truck is outstanding. Absolutely LOVE the visibility. All controls are quite intuitive and work well. The four wheel drive high and low work extremely well. There is also an "auto" mode that basically makes the truck an AWD vehicle sensing where it needs traction. Then of course there is regular 2WD mode for most of the time. The Auto, 4WD high and low modes are musts for us in Maine. You can shift on the fly between the 2WD, Auto and 4WD high. You must stop and use neutral to shift to 4WD low but sure beats my first truck back in the day where I had to get out and turn the hubs! You can also shift the drive to M for manual and go up and down gears in that mode. Really just well thought out and works like a charm. Our truck also came equipped with the tow package, bed liner and side assist steps which are very useful to me at 5'4". It takes regular gas and has gotten very good gas mileage including 25-27 mpg in highway driving.....better than our Santa Fe! While this is a mid size truck it is not small. Don't think you'll be whipping it into a tiny parking space like a compact car. What it IS is a great looking, comfortable, mid sized truck that has proven very capable in heavy snow, mixed road conditions and highway driving. If that's what you're looking for give the GMC Canyon a close look....I think you will be impressed.

Great small truck for that drives lik a family car

by VB Car Shopper from Florida on Sat May 27 2017

I've had my 2016 GMC Canyon for about 7 months and it has been a fantastic investment so far. This is the perfect small truck for someone that plans to drive it on a daily basis and still have it function for everyday needs. The V6 option puts out plenty of power for any weekend warrior while also providing a respectable MPG for those times gas prices get out of control. The styling is impeccable and the beautiful interiors makes you feel more like you are driving Lincoln or German Import than a GMC truck. The only reason this vehicle doesn't gain a 5 star rating is due to the lack of enthusiasm that most "truck guys" show towards it. If you are looking for a truck to slap a lift kit, tractor tires and Mossy Oak decals on to take to the mud pit on weekends keep looking.

Truck with compact car capabilities!

by Gear-Grinder retired!!! from Clearlake,Ca. on Mon May 08 2017

2016 Base 2.5L 4 cylinder, auto 6- speed trans. no frills extended cab, base truck( dont need leather heated seats) and liked the price of $26.5 out the door and its what I`ve been looking for, its bigger than small size pickup and a little smaller than the full size for a big man like my self 260 ibs. who drove big rigs trucks for many of years, fits just right and also in my garage, i really liked that you can have a mid size truck that looks like a full size truck and with a 4 cylinder motor which lags sometimes when the transmission cant find the right gear for the road, just keep your foot on the gas pedal and bank your $$$ in the bank! that you saved, It towed my 18.5 ft. 3500 ibs. boat locally, I recommend V6 ($1700 more?) for any kind of serious towing, overall i purchase a truck with a small car gas saving capabilities.

A Mark of Excellence-2016 GMC Canyon

by Midsize Truck Fan from Illinois on Sat Sep 17 2016

I love this vehicle. It's everything I wanted in a truck (full or midsize). Very satisfied with my purchase and definitely would recommend this vehicle to others.

3rd GMC I've owned

by bmaofmus from Muskogee OK on Thu Apr 20 2017

Exterior perfect , interior not so much , door pockets designed by idiots , buttons on underside of steering wheel too easy to bump when removing key from switch which turns on radio. otherwise the truck is a joy to drive .

Great Replacement for My 2001 Ford Sportrac

by CanyonFan from Wagener, SC on Wed Apr 05 2017

I love my new GMC Canyon SLT. All of the features on it are top notch and very user-friendly. My only suggestion to GMC engineers would be to incorporate the back up warning signal like many other GM products. (My Chevy Equinox has the system and it is really useful.)

Best pickup I have ever owned!

by Farley from Eagle, Idaho on Tue May 09 2017

The Z71 all terrain package provides a softer ride as a daily driver. The bucket seats are comfortable even over long distances.

Mid size truck with big boy attitude.

by emilar on Mon Aug 13 2018

This truck acts like an SUV. Plenty of comfort, legroom, perks. The only thing missing is the tv for the backseat. It's size makes it easy to navigate around town and the all terrain feature I wouldn't give up for ten bigger trucks.

Great buy

by Mrchen from Atlanta on Thu Mar 09 2017

I bought a leftover 2016 base model extendedcab for 20G Good looking good riding truck Very happy with this truck 20-27 mpg

Great Truck for House Keeping

by jdiaz18 from Atlanta, GA on Thu Jun 22 2017

I love my truck. It is my daily driver and is comfortable for hour or 2 long commutes sitting in traffic. interior keeps down the noise so you do not have to put the radio high or yell to have a conversation. Was pleasantly surprised to get an average MPG of 21.5 per tank. I have the short bed which works great for caring all the mulch, furniture, bikes, and other things i need to get that we need to work on our house and decorate.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2016 GMC Canyon

Editor’s note: This review was written in June 2015 about the 2015 GMC Canyon. Little of substance has changed with this year’s model. To see what’s new for 2016, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

A decked-out 2015 GMC Canyon is by far the most luxurious and mild-mannered midsize truck in its class, and that upscale feeling doesn’t come at the expense of payload and towing.

There’s no denying the 2015 GMC Canyon is a game changer — mainly because the minimally changed Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier have allowed the midsize truck segment to go stale over the past decade. The Canyon and its Chevrolet Colorado sibling offer modern... Read More