2002 GMC Envoy consumer reviews

$29,375–$31,600 MSRP range
side view of 2002 Envoy GMC
Explore the 2002 GMC Envoy

very good car

I actually have an 03, same suv as the 02. I bought it for my 18 yr old at 110k on it. he now has over 130k on it and the only thing i replaced was the fan clutch, Parts Geek 65.00 great site for parts. It handles,drives and performs like new, not a squeek or rattle anywhere, I drive a new Volvo S 80 and have no problem taking his truck now and again. Only down side is fuel economy around town. But on highway not too bad and drives smooth as silk.

style and comfort

love the way this vehicle handles the road .Just purchuse a 2002 to replace a2002 ford explorer and i swear there is a big difference in the smoothness of the ride and comfort . I feel more at peace even in rush hour traffic. Thje only setback is the cargo space is just a little smaller.But hey, i didnt buy it for that reason. Igot it for the style and COMFORT.

Big power in a comfy package

I recently purchased the GMC Envoy Denali and I will tell you from preformance to the way it handles to the stylish two tone interior, this truck gets 5 stars all away around with me - the seats are extremely comfy and it fits my family nicely. the rear storage area is just enough but not too much as in a yukon or surburban, with the standard straight line V6 the gas milage is that of a car with the towing power of a full size truck!! I am loving it !!

2002 Envoy SLT 4x4

I purchased my 2002 Envoy SLT 4X4 new in Sept 2001. After a little over 10 years on the road, and 89,000 miles, I am still pleased with my purchase. The engine runs well, the automatic transmission shifts smoothly, and the truck has gotten me around in the bad winter weather. The interior, including leather seats, is in excellent condition, and has worn well over the past 10 years. I like the climate control, heated seats, and heated mirrors. I also like that there is a sensor that automatically turns the exterior lights on at night or when you drive into a parking garage during the daytime. You essentially never have to turn the lights on manually in this vehicle. I have plenty of room to transport my dog in the rear cargo area, as well as groceries, or large bulky items. The exterior design has held well for 10 years. On the exterior I like that the turn signals are integrated into the side mirrors, and that the side mirrors fold in. My only complaint has to do with the 2 front cupholders. Only 1 is actually usable. The second one is positioned between the center stack and the front of the automatic shifter on the floor. If you place a cup in that cupholder and then shift into park, there is not enough room for the cup.

4.4

still driving almost 10 years later

I bought this suv new and would have to say that it's been a good to very good suv. The styling is still good after 9 years. All the electronics and all the auto-gadgets are still working. One of the issues i was worried about was it being a straight 6 and not a V-8. The V-8 was not available when i bought this. The 6 has more than enough power and couldn't be any smoother. A cooling fan clutch went out at 45,000. That was covered by an extended warranty. Main computer went out at around 50,000 miles. A 1100.00 repair. Had to replace the compressor that works the air-ride suspension at 95,000. I now have 112,000 miles and would like to keep until around 150,000. I don't see any reason not to. It has the miles it has on it because it's so comfortable that we take it everywhere. A terrific road trip car. Would i buy another one? I'm kind of looking now for a used one with less miles, but they are hard to find. Seems like anybody who has one is as happy with theirs as i am. It's a shame that it was discontinued in 2009.

One of the best vehicles that I have ever owned

Bought the 2wd Envoy new 07-2002. Has 130,000 miles. Runs and drives great. I drive it from Tennessee to Florida on a regular basis with no fear of problems. Replaced thermostat at 7000 miles and water pump at 52,000. No other problems. Brakes are original. I change oil every 3000 miles and it uses no oil. Gas mileage is 22 on the road and 19-20 around town. I think it is a great vehicle.

2.1

Never again!!!

We bought this envoy a couple of years ago. When we bought it was great work well. Only had it two year before part were needed to be replaced...now at 70k the transmission needs to be replaced..??? Never again...wouldnt recommend it to my worst enemy.

Excellent safety features. Excent Ride

Bought used in 02, 1 year old. Now have owned it for 6 years. Wife loves her Envoy! Only problem is seat belts location. They rub on her neck as she is vertically chalanged. Towed sports car 1300 miles with no problem. This is 2 wheel drive.

Amazing Vehicle for the Monehy

I'm extremely impressed. This is an incredible bargain in the used car market. I had a new 2001 Lincoln LS and besides horsepower, the LS has nothing on the Envoy. The Envoy is extremely comfortable although somewhat stiffly sprung as you would expect in a 4X4. There is virtually no wind noise at highway speeds and it handles and recovers well from bumps. Accleration surprised me until I realized it has a long stroke, 4-valve-per-cylinder, DOHC inline 6, which, like an E-Type Jag, produce great torque. This car is loaded with every accessory known to man from instantaneous and average fuel consumption (including estimated miles left in the tank), power side view mirrors that can be programmed to tilt down towards the curb when you put the car in reverse, 8-way, heated power seats with lumbar support which can also be adjusted up and down, seat position and mirror adjustments can be programmed for 2 drivers, it automatically turns on the wipers when it starts to rain, dual temp control for the driver/passenger, and a Bose sound system with a 6-CD player that easily rivals an aftermarket system. It even has it's own compressor with a 22-foot hose and pressure gauge for inflating beach toys, basketballs and car tires. The metalic red paint still looks factory new and the car is tight as a drum with nary a squeak or rattle. The elegant styling by the GMC Team has a timeless look that still looks good 5 years after manufacture and seems as though it will remain that way many years in the future; I've had it just a few days and have already gotten envious looks from numerous people, male & female. This car has done a lot to shift my interest in American cars. Well done, GMC.

Best Car I've owned

I Love my ENVOY! It's the greatest vehicle I've owned so far and I've had plenty of SUV's. I've had a Lincoln Navigator, Jeep Cherokee, but none compare to the ride, smoothness, comfort, and everything else on the Envoy.