2009 Sierra 1500

4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Best truck to me

by GMC D Man from TX on July 27, 2010

My 09 GMC Denali was the ticket for me. My truck has every item except rear wheel liners, washer fluid heater, engine block htr. and rear sliding window. Wanted the rear defroster instead of a window that opens. My faves are the heated and COOLED seats, rear camera that works grat day and night, 6.2 403+ hp, navagation, blue tooth, spray in bed liner, GMC matched bed cap, seamless AWD, 6 speed with tow mode, intigrated trailer brake system, moon roof, 20" wheels that fit the truck, and the smart FOB. Living in the South makes a great place for Cooled seats!!!! Dislike that none of the following were offered as extras: dual exhaust, no extra gas tank, no 110V in cab or bed, no air pump system, no engine bay light(s), no HID upgrade, no side or bed steps, no fender intigrated tool box. All that said, I really enjoy the truck and would recommend it to anyone. The tow mode really makes a difference in pulling a trailer in a feild and large loads on a 16' trailer. Had no problems. 403 HP and a tow mode 6 speed makes work easy. It seems to me that the 07 through the current 010 have been somewhat overlooked in the performance end. Dual exhaust, quality performance chips, and differential covers are just a few of the items that I cannot find that will fit the 6.2 Ltr. AWD specificly. The handling I gave 4 stars only because of the turning radius, because the rack and pinion steering that is on the 08 through the current model works very smooth,quiet, and responsive. The exterior styling would have been 5 star with HID's and a side or rear step or the option. The interior would have had a 5 star with a 110V and air pump option. Features would have been a 5 star with any of the following as an option: air pump, 110V, Finned diff. cover, oversized gas tank or dual tanks, HID's and maybe the tool box in the bed side/rail area. I will say that hands down, this is for sure the best truck I have ever owned and was the best overall optioned and driving truck I could have hoped for and found in 09. The only mods I have istalled is a oil bypass system that adds 3.5 extra qts. and a cold air induction system that has a low restriction air filter rated at 99.98 efficiency.

Awesome Truck

by Fuller81 from Great Falls, MT on October 17, 2009

I purchased my Sierra three months ago and I have been very impressed with it. It's great for towing and gets good gas mileage for a full size truck(when I don't drive it like I stole it). GMC gave me a great deal (0% for 72 months) and still follow-up to make sure everything is going well. I had it rhino line immediately and finally have the truck that I've always wanted. I love this truck!

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

A Superior Truck in Every Way.

by Good Old Canadian Boy. from Woodstock, Ontario on October 18, 2009

I work for Toyota but choose a GM Truck. This 09 GMC Crew Cab 4X4 is far Superior to any other Comparable truck out there. I tow my boat, utility trailer and haul hundreds of pounds of lumber easily. I fequently hunt up north for bear and moose. My Truck has the all Terrain Package and performs extremly well off road during hunting season. Our winter can be brutal, but no problem getting my family around with this truck.

Top Notch Sierra

by GMC Sierra Owner from Long Island, NY on July 13, 2010

Last March I was looking for a pickup. I was looking at Ford, Dodge and GMC/Chevy. I wasn't impressed with the Fords, and the prices were higher than anything comparable under Dodge and GM. I was close on the Dodge, and loved the 5.7 Hemi, but couldn't get past the center console shifter. Did they pull that from a Sebring? Plus, something about those rear coils that bother me. Nothing I could put my finger on, but I just wasn't sure I'd get everything out of the truck I wanted. I've always done well with my GM vehicles, and was happy to be back. I couldn't be happier today. I've since put a meager 13k miles on it, but have enjoyed every single mile to-date. The ride is comfortable, as attested to by my wife, 2 y.o. daughter and our chocolate lab. I drive her every day and we've loaded it for weekend trips, working on the house and everything in-between. The power isn't as noticeable as the Dodge Hemi, but that can be fixed in time. I've loaded the bed with concrete bags, lumber and scrap for the dump without a hiccup. The interior is top notch, and could be compared to some luxury vehicles. All-in-all, I made the right decision and haven't had buyers remorse at all. In fact, I love driving my truck.

Very Nice, Luxury Truck but still Heavy Duty

by GM Guy from Columbus, OH on June 23, 2010

I bought my 2009 GMC Sierra 1500 (Short Box) a little over a year ago and it's been great. I got the Exended Cab SLT 4WD. Black on Black with 5.3L V8 (regular fuel). Beautiful Truck. They handle very well in the snow with the 4-wheel drive and the traction control. While towing and carrying heavy loads in the pickup the truck still handles great and gives a great performance. The GMC Sierra is the way to go when looking for a pickup.

BEST TRUCK ON THE PLANET

by Tundra to GMC from California on May 1, 2009

Had a new Tundra and took a loss to move over to a Sierra. For starters it is WAY better looking. I have a black on black one. Gorgeous truck. The interior is a huge improvement over the tundra with great ergonomics and cool looking gauges. Everything is finished and well put together. It is also very powerful, I have the 6.0 max trailering package. I can tow 11,700 pounds which is way more than I'll ever need. Also I have yet to lose a stoplight race, though thats not why I bought it. All my friends and family love my truck and the dealer takes great care of me. Highly recommended!

Uses car for Towing

High Quality

by CzarB from Paris, AR on April 11, 2014

I purchased the 2009 GMC Sierra brand new and I have loved it all the way! The vehicle is very comfortable but I feel as though the seats can use some adjusting in terms of firmness. The cab is extremely quiet with minimal road noise. I honestly have to turn on the radio to keep from falling asleep because the drive is so smooth and quiet. Performance is a big seller for trucks, well the GMC Sierra is not lacking. I drive the 4.3 liter V6 and I am very satisfied with it. It tows well and can get up and go when you stomp the gas pedal. However my single cab is very light in the rear end so there is not very good grip on the ground allowing for occasional slippage. I am in love with the exterior styling! I think it is spunky and tough looking yet subtle enough to blend in with the parking lot if thats what you want. The interior design is the only aspect that is truly lacking. The interior was designed for a working atmosphere with easy to use controls for those wearing gloves. So of course there is not much chrome or wood accents. This truck is definitely worth the price. It is very affordable for something so great. This truck is very reliable. I have never had a single issue with this truck for the five years I have owned it. Everything works like its brand new and no matter how cold or how hot it starts right up.

Great truck

by Denver80220 from Denver, CO on October 29, 2012

We had a 2007 Sierra 1500, decided to buy the 2009 Denali version. Unfortunatly, the 2007 was a smoother ride. The 2009 has no better features to me and I guess after driving the 2007 I am not happy with how "truck like" the ride is. Also, I find the seats very uncomfortable, maybe it's just me, but I do drive for hours at a time. HORRIBLE on gas as you can expect, but overall it is a good and reliable truck.

Great Truck!

by ASmith from Houston, TX on January 31, 2018

Very nice truck that has been well taken care of. No major paint issues and well maintained. Also, nice spray in bed liner and hard-shell cover.

Powerful yet comfotable!

by Mountain Man from Ruidoso, NM on September 3, 2017

I bought a used 2009 GMC Sierra with only 58,000 miles on it. The truck has great power going up hill (I live in the mountains) and the ride is very smooth. The leather seats are very comfortable and the cabin is roomy with plenty of leg room for the driver and passengers. My truck performs great and it also looks good! I am very happy with my purchase.

1 2 3