1997 Civic

1997 Honda Civic

4 out of 5 stars Performance
4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have you driven the 1997 Honda Civic?

Drive it like an econobox, and it delivers like it

by Alex from Philadelphia on June 20, 2012

All I can say is that as a car enthusiast I believe every car in the marketplace has a purpose. I don't try to turn my Civic into a racecar, put loud mufflers on it and drill holes in the back bumper. It is completely factory and I love it for what it is: A reliable daily driver that's cheap to buy, own, and fill up. Performance is what it is, don't expect blistering acceleration, although my EX with a 5-speed is acceptable (even by my standards). Ride is smooth and even quiet (with the right tires). Great car, don't hesitate to own one if your expectations of it are in line with what the car was designed for.

You just can't go wrong

by A Car Lover from Stuart, FL on December 7, 2006

A Civic isn't a sports car, but it's fun enough. It's not a luxury car, but it's comfortable. What a Civic IS is the best all around transportation ever built. It does it's job so well, and is so reliable, you just never have to worry about it. I've put 130,000 on my 97 EX and NOTHING has gone wrong. I mean nothing. I change my own oil, do my own brakes, tires twice, and I had the timing belt and all fluids done at 95,000. END OF HISTORY. I bet no Chevy has ever existed that can claim that. My 2000 Venture has cost me close to $3000 in repairs with less that 75,000 on it. I will NEVER, and I mean NEVER buy a Chevy again.

Great car

by Commute car from Lancaster, CA on January 30, 2012

Great car, great on gas, decent power, love the tuning radius, just purchased it from previous owner which neglected routine car care. My car has gear problems and had really bad cv joints and dead shocks, along with other things I have yet to find. =\ but overall very good car. Since I only payed $2,750.00

Great Car

by College Student from Dallas, TX on September 10, 2010

Its a Honda Civic EX, Vtec, Automatic. Ive been having this lil honda for about 2 months and i got no complaints, its currently got 122,500 miles and still running great. I just did the oil change and it felt even better. Pretty nice performance for a 4 cylinder, planning to get the next generation when i graduate from college.

Good beginner, economical

by Mike from Illinois on May 23, 2006

My first car, and it has served really well. Cheap to maintain, small and economical, as well as nice-looking. I have the LX sedan, and it's not for tall people. The car drives well if you're not a speed demon, though it's fun to suddenly jump the gun at times and hear the engine buzz, in a tame sense...It's rather uncomfortable on long rides, and the features on the LX are sparse, though livable--radio, AC, power windows and locks pretty much sums up my luxuries. A nice car for average driving.

I couldn't have asked for a Better Car!!!

by Love My Honda from San Francisco, CA on September 1, 2008

I'm the original owner of my civic and it's been a great car. Currently it has over 206,000 miles on it and is going strong. It's been great not having car payments and I haven't had to spend lots of money on maintaining the vehicle. Most of my friends talk about owning american cars, if they held up as well as my Honda, I would give them a try. There is no doubt in my mind, that I will buy another Honda.

A good solid economical car

by Computer Science teacher from PA on June 16, 2008

I bought this car new and have not had much maintenance besides what would be expected. The only exception is that the sun roof leaks when the car is parked in a downpour. It gets 32-40 MPG and has enough exceleration for turnpike driving. Most importantly, I was in an accident where a Toyota RAV4 hit the driver's side at about 30 mph. I was not hurt at all; the side protection worked great. Everyone should be driving this kind of car. I highly recommend Honda products.

17 Years Old And Running Strong

by BB-8 from Herkimer, New York on September 12, 2017

The 1997 Honda Civic is a truly wonderful car. I bought the car in 2016 at 192,231 miles for $850. The previous owners did bare minimum in maintenance, and for being a New York car, it was surprisingly clean minus the rust over the rear wheels. Now, for an $850 car, I was expecting to make it a few months until I got something better. Let me just say this car went above and beyond. Parts are cheap for it, and its relatively easy to work on. I took the car to Virginia and back (putting roughly 1700 miles on it while doing so). Gas mileage was fantastic, $22 dollars to fill my tank from 1/4 tank. I'm a big man, so when I say this car was surprisingly comfortable for being a small car, believe me. Its got quite a bit of power for a 4 cylinder engine, I don't have any issues at all getting where I need to go. The down side is that the brake lines and gas lines on these cars rust easily, due to some design flaws. So if you buy one of these cars, make sure you get under there and check it out.

My Cheap Thrill

by My First Car from bronx ,new york on August 9, 2008

I bought my car at an auction with little over 72,000 miles . I work 21 miles back and forth from work and I work 3 days a week when I put $20 gas in my car , I have gas to go to work and to do my little shopping around town for the week. WOW! It is also cheap to maintain.

My 97 Honda Civic

by Love the Civic from Sterling, VA on June 1, 2006

This little car has taken me everywhere for the last 8 years. It's been very reliable, no major maintenance except an AC recharge. I added a Yakima roof rack system with a Copper Head bike mount which is included($400 value). It dose have a scratch on the trunk lid and a small ding above the rear passenger door. Besides that it's a super value and a gas saving machine!

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 1997 Honda Civic

Not all innovative cars cost a fortune.

Take the Honda Civic Coupe HX, which is available with a unique one-speed shiftless transmission. You can own a car that features what may be the future of the automatic transmission for less than $15,000.

If you are not the pioneering type, you'll be pleased to know that Honda offers the Civic coupe with a standard five-speed manual transmission or an optional four-speed automatic.

Whatever gearbox you choose, you'll drive home a winner. The 1997 Honda is a classy, well-made small car with lots of room. And ever since Honda redesigned the Civic last year, the car has been selling in record numbers.

Our Civic HX Coupe came with Honda's 115-horsepower, 1.6-liter... Read More