2011 CR-Z

2011 Honda CR-Z

2011 Honda CR-Z

4.4

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2011 Honda CR-Z?

Sporty, fun to drive, best car I've ever had.

by Midlifecrisis1 from Peoria, IL. on Thu Apr 07 2011

I love my new Honda CRZ or Zed as Our local dealership calls them. ( when they said that all I could think of was Bruce Willis's quote from Pulp Fiction Zed's Dead ) Well after driving it Zed is most definitely NOT Dead! I drive it back and forth to work every day and I have to force myself to slow down on the interstate lest I get a ticket. I try to stay under 75 but this sweet little ride just wants to go 85 or more without even trying. My Crz hums along , smooth and quiet. Though I must admit to cranking the tunes on my iPhone , the factory system with the sub rocks awesomely enough for me. I stay in normal mode most of the time . averaging between 33 - 38 mpg . I travel round trip about 25- 30 miles a day. I could probably increase my mpg by switching to Eco mode while in town. My only complaint is the noted blind spot but if you adjust your mirrors properly and double check before switching lanes you should be fine. This is my second Honda , I had an Element before and traded it in on a Chevy Cobalt Sport but now I'm back to a Honda for the dependability and mpg as well as the sporty look and feel of my CRZ .

Best Combo

by realtallshorty from Tennessee on Sun Mar 24 2013

Bought a one-owner used 2011 CRZ EX CVT w/Navi w/ 29,000 miles on it. The reason my title is "Best Combo" is because the CRZ's exterior and interior looks are "furutistic", sporty, sleek and a heard-turnier. The CRZ is also a gas-saver. I miss my regular gas station - hope to see it in 2 weeks (filled up on Mar 4 and it is Mar 24 now - Range gauge says I have 200 more miles to go till next fuel fill-up). Even tho the CRZ is a hybrid, it does NOT look like a hybrid. I loathe and detest the look of the Prius and similar Hybrids - they are very boring and some are ridiculous. So if you are in the market for a sport head-turner but want to "go green" - buy the Honda CRZ. You will not regret it. I always look forward to driving mine. They say any car can get you from point A to point B. But few can make you grin every time you slide inside.

Great for what it's meant to be

by Scipio from Aggieland, TX on Wed Aug 06 2014

I've had the 2011 EX Navi with manual transmission since Jan 2012 and 30k miles, and could not be happier. Among cars I've owned and liked in the past are other Hondas, an Acura Integra, a Toyota, a BMW 3 series that I traded in for the CR-Z, and a Subaru Impreza. I think the CR-Z is a little gem, a car for a reasonable enthusiast who does not always crave power. Power is there and enough even in Normal mode, but the Sport mode definitely makes driving more enjoyable. In city driving I get 36-38-40mpg, depending on the season. I get around 40mpg on the highway. Things I like about it: steering, gear box - superbly crisp, overall sense of refinement that is common to Honda, mpg, zippy looks, all the compliments I still get after almost 3 years of ownership, "I did not know Honda makes such a nice sporty little car" statements - not too CR-Zs on the road yet, decent cargo volume for a small car, and reliability - no problems whatsoever. Things I am not too keen on: suspension is really a good compromise between sport and comfort, which makes it pleasant for a daily driver, but I would have liked it only a bit sportier. The car is somewhat nose-heavy and with the slightly plush suspension, it sometimes touches with the front skirt on road drainage gouts when braking, not too bad to be concerned for, though. Visibility towards the back is not great, but nothing too bad, really. You just learn to adjust and do the shoulder check as you should. The CR-Z is my first hybrid and it dispelled a bit my concerns for such cars. The battery pack is as good as when I got it, in the sense that at least in the Normal mode it charges fully after longer drives or stays a notch below fully charged most of the times. I do have an SUV for outdoor toys and ventures, but for a spirited daily commuter that is fun to drive, I can hardly imagine a better vehicle than the CR-Z.

Best vehicle I have ever owned

by Love sporty vehicles from Mesa, Arizona on Fri May 16 2014

I bought this 2011 Hone CV-R Ex at Goldies Motors in Phoneix, Arizona and have never had a better experience! I drove away in this black Honda, just thrilled with my new purchase! Love this model. It is sporty, has good power and absolutely beautiful to look at! My friends are envious. Thank you Honda.

Fun and Great Mileage.

by ffearless from Quincy, WA on Mon Mar 05 2012

I have just over 10,000 miles on the 6 speed manual transmission CR-Z EX. It is a very solid car with great mileage and fun performance when put in sport mode. I have been getting 40+ mpg and expect it will improve in the spring and summer. It handles well in the twisties. The ergonomics are good and it is comfortable for long trips. It has lots of storage capacity for such a small car. I like all the tech goodies. The navigation system is my only complaint. It is not as user friendly and capable as Garmon systems.

The best car I've ever owned

by CRZ 4 life from Nashville, TN on Sat Jan 20 2018

The Good: I love, love, love my CR-Z. This brand new (only had 7 miles on the engine) 2011 sports package sweetness was smiling and gleaming in all her glory as she proudly displayed herself on the showroom floor. I've never really been a "car person" before but it was car-love at first sight. I fell hard and I fell fast. I test drove her and immediately asked to whom and how much do I make out the check. This lovely machine fits me like no other car ever has. She is so perfectly made for me...like hand in glove. The 6 speed manual tranny is an easy shift and handles like a dream. "Hybrid" is a misnomer because its so responsiveness and quick. It grips the road as if the tires and asphalt are one, making it very easy to get in and out of tight situations. Seven years and 173,000+ miles later, I can happily and whole-hardheartedly say she drives like the day I drove her off the showroom floor. The Bad: 1. The fog lights. The lamps get extremely hot within minutes and the lenses actually burn the fingers to the touch. Hot lenses, low center of gravity, road dips, bumps, pebbles and the glass lenses crack. I've replaced both fog lights within 2 years of ownership. Not only is each assembly over $200.00, but the entire bumper has to be removed to replace them. All told, parts and labor came to $568.00. Now that's a choker. But the bummer part of this is that the second set of fog lights didn't last nearly as long as the original. Needless to say, the second set has not been replaced. My once pristine loveliness is now marred by broken fog light lenses. 2. The PLASTIC GRILL. The 3 blade/honeycomb split PLASTIC GRILL is nothing but cheap, thin PLASTIC. I replaced this PLASTIC GRILL in May of 2014 due to road debris blowing out the thin honeycombed bottom portion of the grill. That was another outrageously unnecessary $490.00 expense that I begrudgingly coughed up because the alternative was just too unthinkable. This winter has been particularly brutal with 7 deg temp and 5 inches of snow dump at a time. Yesterday, 01.18.2018, I saw a chunk of ice dislodge from the driver’s side of a car just ahead in the lane to the right. It bounced down the road towards me and slammed into my car. It sounded like it went under the car and I thought I averted more damage. Well, it turns out that it didn't go under the car but found its way into the honeycomb bottom portion of that cheap, PLASTIC GRILL....blowing a hole in this 3 -1/2 year old grill. In 38 years of driving and 6 vehicles owned (including this one) N E V E R have I replaced a grill because of road debris ONCE, much less twice...until now. I'd like to meet with the design engineer who decided that cheap plastic was a safe and lightweight material alternative so I can hit him up for the outrageously unnecessary $490.00+ parts and labor expense to replace this PLASTIC GRILL a second time. This time, I'll not be replacing this PLASTIC GRILL with genuine Honda parts. This time...the last time...I'll be replacing it with a T-Rex Mesh Grille. And the fog lights will also be replaced...not with genuine Honda parts...but with something comparable and much, much sturdier. All in all, the bad (although costly) in no way changes my overall opinion of this fine piece of machinery. Fortunately these issues can be fixed with alternatives. I have recommended this lovely car to everyone who's asked me about her and I will continue to do so for as long as I can speak. This CR-Z will be my lifelong vehicle.

Commuters Dream

by Ziva718 from Oceanside, CA on Sat Aug 11 2018

This car is excellent for commuting. It has been fun to drive since its a 6-speed, and actually gets up and goes when it needs to. That being said, the fact it only seats two can become a hinderance. The hatch is very large, making this a great grocery getter. Overall not a terrible car. Like all things, it has its ups and down. I would recommend this vehicle for people who live alone, are single, or need a car for long solo or duo commutes or trips.

So far so good!

by Steven1990 from Pennsylvania on Tue Nov 14 2017

When you think of Honda this is NOT what comes to mind! So far I have dubbed it two names the Frankenstein mobile or the Hybrid Hybrid. It's a mix between two completely different opposites that it puts a smile on my face. It has the looks of something else mixed with Honda and a hybrid that's not a traditional hybrid. It truly is a very unique car and that was what I was going for when I purchased it. Front seats are more than adequate for anyone of any size. I am 5'7 and feel the car could have even been smaller! Pick up is about average. I test drove a Veloster and can say this is miles ahead on what the CAR is. Not just looks as the Veloster is. The CRZ makes you feel like a true driver. I don't say this as someone who has not driven it ALL. Have had 500HP cars to AWD. You can hear road noise from the tires but not in an uncomfortable way. It is in a way of feeling connected to the road.

Small & Sporty

by Janie from Boston, MA on Mon Nov 29 2010

My husband and I bought our 2011 CR-Z at the end of Sept 2010, about a month after they were released in the USA. We live in Boston, where parking is a challenge at best, and put a decent number of miles on our car, so we wanted something small & easy to park with reasonable gas mileage. The CR-Z is a great fit for us. We rarely drive anyone other than ourselves, so having just 2 seats has not been a problem. We used to have a Civic coupe, and the CR-Z is smaller on the outside, but just as roomy (if not even more comfortable) on the inside. The car has the 3 modes: econ, normal & sport mode. For commuting, we generally use the econ mode, but the sport mode is great for accelerating. The CR-Z is not a muscle car sportscar, so you don't have the huge engine with lots of power behind it, but that also means it's not a gas guzzler. Sport mode is fine for our acceleration needs. We're averaging about 38 mpg with a mix of city & highway driving. The paddle shifters on the steering wheel are fun & reminiscent of our previous BMW 1-series. My in-laws loved our car so much, they went out & purchased one a few weeks after we got ours (and they haven't driven anything smaller than a pickup or SUV in 15+ years!).

Better than expected

by SethDove from Austin, Tx on Mon Nov 22 2010

Coming from a MINI Cooper this car had big shoes to fill (so to speak). My MINI simply spent too much time at the shop so I wanted to return to Honda's reliability. The CR-Z is far better for my needs. It is so much more comfortable to drive (even though lumbar support could be better). The seating position, road composure and steering are so smooth for such a small car, and it feels effortless to drive. The MINI was taut and precise, but tiring for long drives. The CR-Z handling still manages to be quite good but perhaps not as good as the MINI. But I do not care at all. The trade off is well worth it. Dash controlls are well placed (unlike the MINI), the interior is very nice looking (unlike the playful but gaudy MINI), and performance is similar to the base MINI while getting slightly better fuel economy (car is barely broken in). The blind spots are big and side mirror use required. Missing features: a locking fuel cap (in the US version), and an inability to adjust speed with cruise control buttons when engadged. I wanted a fuel-efficient car that was fun to drive and looked good. Honda has come through for me like no other car company.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2011 Honda CR-Z

Honda's latest hybrid, the 2011 CR-Z, attempts to be both sporty and a hybrid, and it has middling success at each.

When it goes on sale Aug. 24, the CR-Z will be the first hybrid in six model years to offer a manual transmission; it will also be available with a continuously variable automatic transmission. As the spiritual successor to the wedge-shaped CRX, produced from 1984 to '91, the two-door, two-seat CR-Z joins the five-seat Insight and Civic hybrids in Honda's semi-electric lineup. Final pricing hasn't been released, but Honda says the base CR-Z will cost less than $20,000 including the destination charge. The 2010 Insight is $20,550 with destination, and the Civic Hybrid starts at $24,550.

The CR-Z's... Read More