2011 Insight

4.5

Have You Driven the 2011 Honda Insight?

Excellent vehicle

by Case from Atlanta, Ga on Tue Mar 08 2011

After 3,000 miles I am still enjoying the handling and good gas mileage of my 2011 Insight. I get about 50 mpg city and 40 mpg highway; the city mileage is consistly higher than the EPA rating (40 mpg). It's not a sports car, but has much better perfomance than the other small cars that I drove. It was a little pricier than the other cars, but with gas currently at $3.45/gallon, I'll make up the difference in a few years. In summary: Fun to drive, super gas mileage, and price nearly the same as a non-hybrid

Great Value!!! Great Car!!!

by livfreely from Clarksville, TN on Tue Mar 22 2011

I traded in my GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT and am never looking back. I average 46.5 miles per gallon. I drive 50/50 city and highway driving. I was lucky enough to get the last one on the dealer lot. No issues with anything on this car. I absolutely love it. I got the top of the line EX model for the same price as the Prius II model (base model). The driving experience is fun with Honda's interactive color driving. Cant say enough about this car. I have always wanted a hybrid, and I am glad I chose this one. I looked at the Prius, and the Hyundai Elantra. The best bang for the buck is the Honda. Great name, and a great car. I am not in any way working for Honda I just am that impressed with this car. Thanks Mike.

Love this car

by Carrie loves Hybrids from Hernando, Florida on Sun Dec 30 2012

This is not an easy car to find in a preo-owned, late model, with low mileage. It took me a while to find one and I purchased a 2010 with 31k miles in September of this year. Five weeks later, I was rear-ended at a stop light by a young lady who wasn't paying attention. Not only was the back of my car crunched, but i was shoved into several other vehicles and the front was crunched as well. My precious car was totaled! I wasn't hurt at all! I really believe that this car protected me. I had to find another and I had only a few weeks to do so. I was fortunate to locate a 2011 with only 14k miles. I love this car. In trying to maximize my gas mileage I am paying much more attention to my acceleration and my driving technique in general. It has made me a better and more aware driver and I love to challenge myself to get the best mileage every time out. I am averaging close to 52 MPG. I love the way it handles and the acceleration is there when I need it. It isn't a fancy car, but everything on the dash is handy and easy to use, unlike the Prius. The only negatives are the headlights, which really are not bright enough nor do they extend a good enough distance. I had read about this in other reviews before I purchased the car, so I am not the only one. Also, the seat back is very uncomfortable. It has a built in lumbar support which curves outward into one's lower back so much, that one's mid, upper back and shoulder blades don't even touch the seat. IT IS NOT ADJUSTABLE! If I lean back fully, my back is unnaturally bent and I get a back ache. So I have to have a foam cushion behind my upper back and shoulder blades so I can sit comfortably. I hope Honda will change this someday. My previous car was a Civic and no problem whatsoever with the seat. But both Insights had the same problem. Those are my only two complaints so far, everything else is great!

by mpabe from Atlanta, GA on Wed Sep 21 2011

I recently bought a 2011 Honda Insight and I am exceptionally pleased with it. I spent a lot of time studying hybrids before I purchased and, in the end, it was a "value" decision. I purchased a 2011 Insight, fully loaded, with navigation system for $21,999, new. A Toyota Prius with comparable features is almost $10,000 dollars more. When I reviewed the mileage data for Insights and Prius' input by owners at fuelly.com, it appears that in real-world driving there is only about a 2 mpg difference between the two cars, overall. I am currently recording +50 mpg for my commute. In short, I am incredibly happy with this car and would recommend it to others.

Unfairly undervalued hybrid

by Maxz from Fairfax, VA on Tue Feb 10 2015

As a result of driving Insight, I became a safety driver. Ecological driving is safe driving. Insight teaches you. I consistently get over 40+mpg city, and sometimes reach 60+mpg. Many Insight owners report better MPGs than advertised. To keep the car in a good condition, never coast in neutral as CVT transmission would get damaged over time. You can drive aggressively if you want. Insight definitely has the ability to accelerate fast. Most Insight owners just choose not to, because fuel efficiency is the reason they choose hybrid. The driver's seat is comfortable. Interior is nice and roomy to my surprise. My Insight's trim is EX w/ Navi but this navigation is not useful. I connect my iPhone with bluetooth instead for navigation - works great. True, rear view isn't great but I got used to it quickly. Not an issue. I like the design; better than Prius. Many people don't know Prius adopted the design. Prius forces you into eco-driving; you don't have a choice. With Insight, you have choices. That makes Insight more fun to drive than Prius, I guess.

Insight nice

by turbostar from Richmond, VA on Wed Aug 27 2014

i recently purchased a 2011 Honda Insight, with 32k miles. it was the dream car i was looking for. a couple things i have not seen mentioned is when you have the "econ" button on, which allows for the electric motor parts to kick in, it shuts off the air-conditioner and the fan just pushes warm engine air. If it starts getting too hot inside i just shut off the econ and let the car roll a little to get the engine back on and cold air flowing again. other than that i have really no complaints. the rear window split isn't really atop bad of a blind spot for me, in fact it helps block annoying headlights if anything! the display panel is nice, lots of info to scroll through though the "check tire pressure" light seems to be a little too sensitive and I've gotten out to check for flats or low low pressure, when the pressure turned out to be just fine. very smooth ride, a lot cheaper than the Prius. LOVE MY INSIGHT!!! :)

Great car so far

by Cheapskate from Southern Minnesota on Fri Jul 29 2011

Have only had the car about 4 months, not quite 5,000 miles yet. Was told by salespeople to not expect optimum fuel economy till after 5k. So far, city 39 mpg, highway 44-46. No complaints. Have taken on trips of 150-175 miles and been satisfied with comfort. Only complaint is getting into it; am over 70 years old with a cranky hip and it's a bit tricky. We love the infrequent trips to the gas pump and the short stays when there. With only limited expeience with it so far would still highly recommend it to someone who wants a fun little car.

Great car

by Bethmckinney from Asheville, NC on Sun Mar 18 2018

I've owned this car since November 2014, and it's been averaging 45 mpg since. Never had a problem, and compared to Prius' I've driven- I genuinely prefer the Insight.

Reliable

by Brad from Eaton Rapids, MI on Wed May 07 2014

I bought this 2011 Honda Insight about 2 months ago. I absolutely love it. I bought it for the gas mileage. I live 25 miles from work and am planning to take a trip to Colorado and Arizona from Michigan. I read a lot of reviews and people seemed to get more MPGs than what the sticker said. They were correct. Yes, I have tweaked how I drive. I used to take 35 minutes to get to work. Now I take a different route that takes me 45 minutes. Doesn't bother me. I'm in no hurry. I know if I drove my original route, I would get 47.5 mpgs. With the route I take now, I can get 52 mpgs. I think it is a comfortable ride. The only thing that is hard to get used to is looking in the mirror for traffic behind me and the hatchback has two divided windows with metal in between. So far that is the only thing I don't like. If you are looking for a car with great mpgs, I recommend this vehicle.

Most Reliable & Gas Saving Car I've Owned

by dchase718 from Newark, DE on Sat Jun 03 2017

This car had met all my needs. I loved the money I saved on gas and the hybrid assistance. This car was an excellent, reliable vehicle. We drove it to Florida twice and it was an excellent ride.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2011 Honda Insight

Editor's note: This review was written in January 2009 about the 2010 Honda Insight. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2011, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The Honda Insight name — used between 1999 and 2006 for the first gasoline-electric hybrid in North America — is back for 2009, this time representing an affordable four-door, five-seat hatchback. The original was a two-door two-seater. Though Honda sold hybrid Accord sedans in the past and still markets a Civic Hybrid, the Insight is distinct because it's a hybrid-only model, like the Toyota Prius. To cut to the chase, the Insight is a good car... Read More