2009 Pilot

2009 Honda Pilot

2009 Honda Pilot

4.5

Have You Driven the 2009 Honda Pilot?

Enough room for our party of six

by ms conception from Manitoba, Canada on Tue Aug 18 2009

When the time came, our family was rapidly growing from two kids to four - with our babies being born just over a year apart, my husband and I had a quick moment of panic that we'd be trading in his sport Audi and my trust Volvo for the god forbidden Minivan. A concession we were not comfortable making. We had owned a number of Honda's previously and were pretty set on buying a foreign vehicle, but didn't have much option beyond the Toyota/Honda options and the VW minivans were not an option yet in our locale. After test driving a number of Odysseys and Sienna's, our dealer pointed out the new '09 Pilot and showed us some of the new options (we had previously looked at an '05 Pilot and did not like it). The new features were impressive, the larger all around space and refined features were a plus. We test drove an '09 Touring and made the decision on the spot to purchase the Ex-L just under a year ago. I'm the primary driver of the car. We sold our Volvo, and my husband still gets to drive his Audi and I don't feel as though I've made any concessions at all. We keep two car seats in the second row (one infant, one forward facing seat for the toddler) and a booster seat for the middle one. The larger child sits in the third row and all have a lot of room and have taken many road trips out to the country and have found it to be very comfortable. The cargo area is small, but with the netting and storage compartments, I'm able to haul the stroller and a good large load of groceries. I actually like the interior - in spite of it being fairly "plasticky" as many Asian cars are known to be - the front console comes apart easily and after many a spilled juices and coffee, i've been able to disassemble the entire compartment and throw the components and rubber bases into the dishwasher for cleaning. We use the Entertainment system often, and appreciate the wireless headphone system for the kids. We have fairly harsh conditions through the winter and I felt very safe in my Pilot with the kids, and it has handled very well in all road conditions. We love our Pilot and hope to reap many years of use out of it. Excellent fuel mileage both in the city and on the Highway. We'd definitely consider buying another in the future.

Love the size - great deal for the money

by Poor after having bought two cars in 1 month from Morristown, NJ on Mon Jun 18 2012

My wife wanted to replace our Honda CRV with a larger SUV. We looked at a variety of cars - Jeep, Toyota, Lexus, many others. Bottom line, I think the Honda gave us the best bang for the buck Particularly since we bought a 2009 (3 years old car) with only 30K miles for $25,500, we got a great full decked out car - leather, sunroof, entertainment system, etc. Looking at similar cars, we'd either be paying a lot more, getting a car with a lot of miles, or getting a car with a lot less features / luxury/ etc. Overall, we've loving the new car - would recommend it to anyone.

2009 Honda Pilot 4WD

by Cheeky from Rancho Palos Verdes CA on Fri Jul 02 2010

Love this vehicle. Roof rack is great as is the power tail gate. Only a couple of gripes. The rear cargo floor is not flat causing cargo to side to the back. Rear A/C power outlet would be nice, Cup holders are not removable for cleaning. Rear side window sun shade clips constantly snap off. Gas milage could be a bit better.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

mm GREAT!!!!

by mm GREAT!!!! from Green Bay on Sun May 30 2010

Do I like it? No I love it! The ride is great. Road Noise is wonderful. ONE SUGGESTION GET BETTER TIRES (Firestone is a good choice or Michelin works as well). The height of the vehicle is perfect. It is Very spacious roomy and you can find a storage spot for everything. I would buy another on in a hear beat. Nothing but good things to say about it. If you are looking at a Tahoe and you need to save some money this is a great alt. Good luck with your purchase.

Outstanding!

by Peanut from Vermont on Wed May 09 2012

We were in the market for a large car-based SUV and we shopped the Highlander, the Acadia/Traverse twins and the Pilot. We were already familiar with Honda but didn't know what to expect. This has to be the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven or ridden in. The front seats are amazing. It is incredibly roomy and the third row is comfortable. It also has child seat anchors in the third row. So far in mixed driving we are getting 20mpg and youreally get addicted to trying to keep the ECO light on for the cylinder de-activation. It comes with a factory tow set-up. Drive one and you will be sold.

Don't get stuck in snow

by jason from wisconsin on Sun Dec 21 2008

The pilot has benn flawless fot the past 4months and nothing to report wrong with it. It is very comfortable to drive I could drive the pilot all day if I had to.Good gas mileage at 21 hwy and 20 city.However we recently got stuck in a small snow bank and spun the tires down to the grass eventually turing to mud and we tried putting it into vtm-4 lock and the rear tires did not have enough torge to even spin at all and If they had enough torqe we could of got out.The manual says it sends SOME torqe to the rear wheels but not enough to make it true 4wheel drive like the all-wheel drive explorers. So stay out of the deeper snow and don't spin the front tires to much or the transmission light will come on telling you the a/t is getting to hot.And if there is more than 5in. of mud don't even try.

Great pick

by Love My Pilot! from South Carolina on Tue Feb 22 2011

I researched different SUVs for several months prior to purchasing my Pilot. I have to say I love everything about it. It drives great. A ton of interior room too! Great buy!

Very nice car

by Car lover from Virginia on Thu Feb 05 2009

Have owned the 2009 Pilot Touring since May 2008. I went from a Suburban to this Pilot. Needed a vehicle with space but not as big as a Suburban any longer. This is a great vehicle. As a woman I can lay seats down, pull them up, change to any configuration very easily. With the Suburban I had to climb up in it and the seats were very heavy. Third row seat is comfortable for 2 adults on a long trip (5-8hrs.). Handles very well, feels very stable when driving in water or wind. I am a little disappointed in the gas mileage and the comfort on long trips. I feel the front seats could be more comfortable. More of a blind spot on the drivers side than I would like unless the seat is back pretty far. Very comfortable seat belts and adjustable. Good amount of cup holders and temperature adjustments. Nice height off the ground, but not too high. Great car for a woman with kids. Wish I had this vehicle when my kids were growing up.

Hidden Luxury

by Penny Watcher from Canada on Mon Apr 02 2012

I have only had this for a short time, but I love it. Extremely smooth ride and the inside features are great. This vehicle would be comparable to a Lexus or Acura without the finishing touches. The outside is deceiving as it has a plain style that doesn't give any hint to what awaits the driver. The leather seats are extremely comfortable and the layout of the dash is straightforward and easily accessible. Plenty of interior room and has a truck feel on the inside. Exterior is plain but practical. It looks much larger then the previous generations and has a rugged look. Performance is great with a peppy 6 cylinder that has enough available acceleration for the average user. Gas mileage is what to be expected with a firm 21 mpg highway. I was able to squeeze it to 23 with a feather like foot on accelerator and using cruise control. It handles firmly and gives an impression of great traction. I drove this through several snowstorms without that "losing it" feeling.

Best out there.

by Kroller from Windy City on Sun Dec 27 2009

In terms of mid-size SUV's this one is pretty good. Very reliable, good handling and quiet ride and comfortable seats although not plush seats so it aint no lazy boy but more like a sturdy kitchen table seat with one of those seat cushions on the bottom. Good visibility and nice transmission changing of gears in automatice. Engine is strong. The ride is a bit bumpy so I wished the ride was smoother. Also, the electrical is suspect, when I have the headlights on and the A/C going the lights dim on and off ever so slighty- but once you notice you can't ignore. The styling grows on you, I like it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2009 Honda Pilot

Remember when your mother told you that just because everyone else was doing something didn't mean you had to do it too? It appears Honda took that advice to heart, as the redesigned 2009 Pilot bucks the trend of ever-sleeker styling that's come to dominate the crossover category.

Instead, the eight-seat Pilot, which goes on sale May 22, embraces a boxy, angular look that came to define SUVs in the '90s. While it remains to be seen how accepting customers will be of the crossover's shape, it does have a number of appealing attributes that could easily win over buyers who give it a chance, like a composed ride and improved gas mileage.

Exterior & Styling