2012 Pilot

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

Love the 2012 Pilot

by Rj Pilot from Modesto, CA on February 11, 2012

I?ve had my 2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD for about a month. My main alternatives were Dodge Durango, and Chevy Traverse/ Buick Enclave. They are all about equal as far as power and road feel. The Honda?s ride is excellent, extremely smooth and quiet. The Honda has the best roominess and visibility of all the competition. I took a group of co-workers to lunch and it handled the load (8 men total, averaging 200 lbs. each) surprisingly well. Looks-wise, I wouldn?t say it?s lovely, just good, and definitely not ugly duckling, like the 2011. (I would not have considered the 2011 Pilot.) Honda recently updated the looks and interior control arrangement and it makes a huge difference. The minivan-style shifter on the instrument panel takes some getting used to, but allows a nice storage area in the console. The overall control layout is good. Mileage has been good at about 19 average in mixed city and rural highway. I was getting 16.5-17 in my 2001 Acura MDX. I had also looked at the 2011 Acura MDX, but was not happy with the comparative lack of roominess and visibility. (If Acura had made the second row adjustable like the Honda, it would have helped a lot. I didn?t actually test drive one.) Likes: Mileage, excellent ride, quiet, outward visibility, roominess, lots of storage areas, good engine power, stereo system, rear-view camera, Bluetooth phone system, general ease of use, rear window shades, sharp turning radius, uses regular gas, bright head lights. Minuses (not really dislikes): Cargo area is sloped, could use even better mileage, smallish sunroof, could use better brakes.

Good solid SUV

by McFern from Faith, NC on September 13, 2012

Purchased 2012 Pilot EX 4WD after driving Highlander, Explorer, Durango, Pathfinder, and Sequoia. Pilot ticked all our boxes. Though everyone has an opinion, it is silly to say the car is uncomfortable or underpowered or too loud on the freeway as these are only true if compared to a different type vehicle. The Pilot was as or more quiet than all the other vehicles we drove, the seats were as or more comfortable, and accelaeration is completely adequate. This is a very good travel vehicle. But it also does the other jobs well. If you need to use the third seat while stopping by for groceries and then, after while, pick up a load of plywood...well...there are not many SUVs that will do that, be comfortable, quiet, and get reasonable gas mileage. We average 20.7 to work and back and have recieved as high as 25.8 while on a highway only trip. There is no perfect vehicle but this one deserves consideration if your in the market for this type vehicle.

2012 Pilot EX is great

by Road Trip family from kansas city, mo on October 18, 2012

We purchased our 2012 pilot about a month ago to replace our sedan. We have two children, both in car seats, and one 110lb akita. We usually travel to see family 1 or 2 weekends per month on a 600 mi round trip. We used to take the 2006 chevy tahoe before getting the pilot, but the tahoe gets 15-17 mpg and has over 100K miles, so we needed an alternative. The interior set-up is great and 2 adults, 2 car seats, the dog, and our luggage fit comfortably! We actually love the more rugged boxy exterior styling. Some SUVs look for like Minivans that SUVs. We chose the pilot over the traverse and acadia (this is our first honda). The pilot mechanisms (seat folding and sliding) all seemed to work more easily than the GM vehicles. Also the pilot has a locking differential and slightly higher ground clearance and I do have to go off road now and then. Driving the pilot you can feel a little underpowered every once in a while, but for the purpose of this vehicle I would not want more power in lieu of better gas mileage. The honda pilot would be the perfect SUV if is was 2"-4" longer, had slightly more power (while maintaining gas mileage). I believe extra length would take the interior passenger and cargo space from good to great and a longer wheel base would take the highway ride to the next level. Our family is very happy with the honda pilot.

Auto Pilot

by Family oriented from Midland, Mi. on October 23, 2012

This is the second Pilot I have owned and is even better than my previous. Seating is so comfortable and cabin is more spacious. I have grown children and that is the reason that I bought a pilot to begin with. We like to attend functions together and can travel together in the same vehicle, comfortably. I really love the back hatch door that opens with the touch of a button--it is great when my hands are full--even our dog loves the door opening "just for him." The car maneuvers very well and eventhough it has all that room inside, fits into parking very well. I am a true Pilot person.

IMO,Great SUV in all areas.

by Raymar from Charlotte, NC on January 19, 2012

Very Smooth ride, easy controls and has all the features you need. More seating(8)and more room then others in its class, better pricing then Highlander in same catagory, MPG is not as bad as it looks if you drive easy on the pedal. Navigation is easy to use and love the custom wallpaper on screen. Very good height for all sizes. I found that it has just almost as much room and width as former Yukon but much shorter. Styling is design to stay neutral for a long time. Best feature is the safety rating. Another factor is the low expense of ownership. !8" tires not 20"s and the overall value for resale is holding very strong. Touring4X4 is a nice ride.

It's Awesome!

by Awesome! from Chicago ill on January 4, 2012

Read alot of rewiews and did alot of test driving before choosing our 2012 Pilot EXL. I put adults in the third row, gas milage is great. The new screen that displays the radio and backup camera is huge! Just go check one out. I'm 6'6" and there is plenty of room behind me for adults. Rides a lot smoother than alot of the competition.

Beautiful and roomy

by Msspode from Seattle, WA on December 6, 2012

I was convinced I wanted a Toyota Highlander Limited and when I couldn't negotiate the trade-in I wanted decided on a whim to take a look at the honda pilot. I am glad I did! The pilot swats more people more comfortably. I love the fuel efficient monitoring system- I've actually received about 26 mpg on the freeway! This car is much roomier than the Highlander and really does seat 8!

LOVE

by jb from Barnwell County South Carolina on February 5, 2012

Love the style, comfort and ride. Good gas mileage is a plus. The roominess is fantastic. Love the back up camera, making reverse driving much simplier. The only little negative is the sound system could be a little better.

One of the Best Cars I've Ever Owned

by Villanova Stim from West Chester PA on January 16, 2012

I recently purchased a new 2102 Honda Pilot EX-L which Cars.com ranked as the best of the 5 SUVS in the same class. It is for sure and is an absolute home run! It is superior to the 2007 Pilot which I traded in, which is a tribute to Honda's constant fine tuning and improvement and, in itself the 2007 was a terrific vehicle. It rides nicely gets phenomenal milage for a car its size (unlike the GMC Acadia) getting 16-18 around town and 21-22 on highway. Nicely appointed including leather seating, with bluetooth and rear backup camera.Came with top of the line Michelin tires. While it has a somewhat boxy exterior appearance and relatively plain jane interior its 8 seats and ample storage space and bins make it acceptable. I highly recommend it to anyone. Especially at the price I paid of under$34K.

Love this Suv

by Honda loving family from El Paso,Tx on March 14, 2012

I have rode alot of SUVS and cars, but I love my 2012 Honda Pilot 4WD EX. Handles and drives awesome. I love all the features this car has. I think SUV is the best SUV I rode and owned.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9