2006 S2000

4.6 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

Fantastic Roadster!

by AirforceJohn from Sarasota, FL on December 20, 2011

2006 Honda S2000. Both my wife and I love this little two-seat roadster. Realizing this was a Honda limited production run (1999 - 2009) to celebrate Honda's 50 years in the business, we knew finding exactly what we wanted would be difficult. But our Cars.com search prevailed and we found the light-blue color my wife wanted. We live in Sarasota FL and the car dealer was located in Hilton Head SC; so remember when you search for the exact car you want via Cars.com, expand your radius! The S2000 is a bit difficult to "fall" into, but once I have my size 13 shoes and my six-foot plus body in the driver's dark-blue bucket seat, I'm perfectly positioned to reach the clutch and the short-throw shifter is also perfectly placed when I lean my right elbow on the center arm rest. The digital dash takes sometime to get use to (I prefer large analog dials), but after awhile, you hear when to hit the clutch and upshift so you won't need the tach anyhow. Since I sit tall, I was pleasantly pleased with the headroom under the tightly-made rear-glass window convertible top. The unit unlatches with ease and once the emergency brake is pulled up, the electric motor quietly lifts the roof off and neatly tucks it away behind the bucket seats. The hard plastic cover designed to hide the roof and the exposed metal brackets is difficult to snap in place and just as difficult to take off; so we leave the cover in the garage 80% of the time. Once on though, the true nature of the car shines. The streamline design is absolutely beautiful. Compared to the new Miata or BMW roasters, the engine behind the front axle design adds not only to the appeal of the Honda, the engine placement assures a 50-50 balance to the handling. Once out of the sometimes abrupt fist gear and clutch coordinating act, the gear shifts are almost seamless. The 237 HP and high torque launches you instantly thru the traffic. In the city, I rev up to 35 in second gear, shift to 4th and continue to accelerate until 45+ and slip the gear directly into 6th to cruise around Sarasota. Wow! What a thrill to control so much power in this tightly steering machine. It's so much fun changing lanes quickly and zig-zagging in traffic. The bucket seats are laterally a tight fit, but the leg room is ample for anyone 6' and under. When open, the quirky radio cover hits my right leg when I alternate from the gas and brake peddle and the OE AM/FM/CD player is the old-fashion dark LCD display -- which is almost impossible to safely manipulate between stations when you're on the road. There are dash mounted radio controls left of the steering column, but the radio display is very difficult to see. I recommend changing the audio unit to a brightly-lit newer design -- look at the single-DIN Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine units. And don't forget to order the hands-free Blue-tooth telephone -- great when your're busy shifting your little Honda go cart. The car was redesigned in 2004 and offered a larger engine and a more comfortable ride. The 2006 model added other upgrades (read all the chronological list of changes on many Internet sites): The 2006 model introduced a drive-by-wire throttle, Vehicle Stability Assist system, new beautifully designed wheels, and one new exterior color, Laguna Blue Pearl. Interior changes included revised seats, additional stereo speakers integrated into the headrests, and additional headrest padding where previous seats had helmet depressions and screens. So, if you're looking for a S2000 I strongly recommend purchasing a 2006 and later year. The 2007 to 2009 base models were essentially clones of the '06. I know the EPA lists the mpg as around 22/28 city/hwy. But the estimate is based on hard typical sports car-like driving. If you smoothly accelerate around town, you should average around 28 to 30 in the city and over 35 on the highway. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic oil which I'm sure helps. We love the car! Previously, I've owned a Porche 924 and a Nissan 300ZX and I wouldn't

OUTSTANDING!

by Dee from Reno on July 10, 2009

I purchased this car 1 yr old from an older man who really knew what he had, but whose wife could no longer get into the car. I felt his pain in selling me this vehicle! I love this car. Always a car nut, I had sold a '66 Corvette to buy this and have never been sorry. I am 5'8" and have very long legs, and this is the most comfortable car I've driven. Yes, it is noisy. But, it's a SPORTS CAR! And an amazing one at that. I had been interested in this car when it first came out - had done my research - and I also know what I got. This is a true sports car for the sports car enthusiast. Fast, outstanding handling, love the sound of the revving motor yet very comfortable - feels like you're in the cockpit! Never had one problem with it, and it gets GREAT gas mileage (better than my Forester!)

2006 S2000

by Sgt Bob from Shreveport on December 22, 2008

If you want to "experience" motoring and have a love for driving a true sports car the S2000 is an excellent choice. If you want a smooth, comfortable ride and a noise free interior then go buy something else. If you're afraid of performance that requires driving skill as opposed to a thoughtless, boring ride that allows you talk on the phone and not pay attention to what you're doing then this car is not for you.

My Dream Car

by Tom From Longview from Longview, Texas on March 9, 2010

I've wanted an S2000 since the day it was released. What's not to love? You get the performance of the Boxster or Z4 and still get the benefit of the reliability and low maintenance cost of owning a Honda. You have to know what you are buying. This is not a 3-series BMW or a Miata. It's got a wonderful, tight suspension that makes the ride a bit bumpy, but at the same time feels like the tires are glued to the road. And the tires are pricey. So best to save for them immediately. But there's still a balance with this car. It's not like a Lotus Elise where you are definitely buying a track car. The S2000 works just fine for me to drive to work every day and on great top-down days with my wife on Sundays to drive in the country.

Closest thing to a racecar for the money!

by Brock from Panama City, FL on August 24, 2006

This is one amazing ride. Everytime I fire this baby up it brings a big grin on. Exceptionally good layout of controls in the cockpit...high quality leather seats, stearing wheel, etc. Mine is white in color and never fails to grab stares. The cars lines are gorgeous, in a almost understated way...she ain't gaudy. While not super racey below 5000 RPM, the car still accelerates smartly (with a nice growl) in the lower RPM range...very adequate for "out and about" driving. Pusing it to the upper RPM range is something everyone should experience once, even if you don't ever buy one. Drives and hugs the road like a slot car....yep, my grin gets bigger. Doesn't protect passengers from the wind...not a negative in my book, but will be for some folks. Wife and I can converse easily up to and including highway speeds...engine sounds accompany you all the way----we love it. Worth a look if you're trolling the two-seat roadster market.

My first S2000

by Love sporty cars from Alabama on June 29, 2009

This is a truly awesome sports car!!!! I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a sporty convertible. I started out driving a 1978 (new) Toyota Celica GT. I loved it. Have truly enjoyed sporty cars ever since, especially after I learned to drive a manual trans. Awesome!!!! I have had to change my lifestyle due to back issues and that is how I wound up with this car. I decided I might as well get something fun to drive and I did. The value of this particular car is extremely good to me because I purchased it used. It had been a leased vehicle. I'm not upside down on the value vs. what I owe. That for me makes it all worth while. My favorite time to drive is when I am excelerating up onto the interstate. WOW! I am also averaging 27-28 mpg on the interstate. :) I love the design, cockpit, size of steering wheel, wheels, powered top, etc. You only live once so go get yourself one!

Sports Car All The Way

by S2000 For Life from Clermont, FL on August 13, 2009

This car is fantastic. It is a perfect sports car. Put the top down, turn the radio up, and go for it. It will leave your competitors in the dust. The V-Tec kicks in and sends you back into the seat. What a thrill. If you don't love this car, you were probably looking for a sedan instead of a sports car. I can't take the car out without getting compliments on it. It is a shame that Honda is not going to make them anymore. I am happy that I got mine before they discontinues them. Grab one if you can. They are a GREAT stress reliever. Go for a drive!!!!

the art of living

by friend of a friend from MA on April 23, 2007

i just drove this car and i don't think i'll feel fully alive again until i own one. the stability is unreal as well as the entire driving experience. it's like the matrix, you can't be told what it is....you have to experience it for yourself

Honda S2000: Fast, Collector's

by NoTXKul from Sharpsburg, MD on April 4, 2017

This car is a great car for a single person. It is beautiful design and catches the eye. It is so fast if you are not experienced it can get away from you. One must be capable of driving a 6 speed manual transmission. Don't even bother with look-a-likes. Honda performance and reliability.

SUPER FUN CAR

by S2000Man from Manchester, CT on May 4, 2014

Always wanted to buy a motorcycle, but no way on earth my wife would let me. So I picked up the next best thing, a 2006 Honda S2000. Silverstone exterior with black and red leather interior. This car is a total charm. Super fun to drive. Handles beautifully, and those revs! my god those REVS are just a treat to listen to while the top is down and the sun is shining!! This car was difficult to find as the low mileage ones get snapped up VERY quickly, but it was worth the wait. Be patient if you're looking for one. Thanks to cars.com's email alerts, i was able to get to this one before anyone else did. The seats are super comfortable, nicely bolstered, the shift throws are short and direct. Steering is precise and tight (even on the 2006 model with electric power steering) A little difficult to get in and out of, but hey, you're seated very low to the ground, so you gotta expect that. It's probably not the best daily driver, as its very small, and you hear a lot of road noise on long highway trips, but this car is what the Miata, Boxster, Z3, and Z4 WISH they were!

1 2 3