2002 Hyundai Accent

Cheap reliability

by from Atlanta, GA on May 1, 2010

Let me state this simply. Are you looking for a car that will keep working so long as you maintain it -- The Accent does Are you looking for a car that does nearly as good on gas as a hybrid - The accent does (avg 38-40MPG) Are you looking for a car with enough room to fit three children and two full size adults - The accent does. The Accent certainly isn't going to be running any marathons (not too much power). But after traveling 205K miles on it and not having to do anything but regular maintenance on it, I must say Hyundai made a good entry level car. If you're looking for cheap reliability. A car that will get you from point A to point B relatively comfortably and not costing too much by way of fuel, look no further.

Overachieving Midget

by from Ontario, Canada on February 27, 2007

When thinking of small econoboxes, a number of names comes to mind - Toyota Yaris/Echo, Honda Civic, Chevy Aveo. Add to that list the Hyundai Accent. While it may not be great at any one thing, it is good at everything. From the outside, the Accent is small. It's about 3/4 the length, or less, of a Ford Crown Victoria. And the styling is bland. But inside is where the smallness disappears. There is enough room inside a Accent hatchback to fit enough gear and supplies for a 6 week trip across western Canada - believe me, I've done it! As for the driving experience, it leaves something to be desired. The 1.5L inline 4 engine, making about 92hp, can push, eventually, the car to a decent speed, all the while buzzing loudly. If you accelerate quickly (well, try to, anyway) it sounds like the engine's gonna grenade on you. Handling, too, is not that great. Understeer galore, and the thin 13 inch tires make taking sharp corners at speed a practice in prayer. The Accent, while not great on the highway, due to the aforementioned lack of power and agility, is quite effective for driving around the city. It can keep up with city traffic (barely) and it returns decent gas mileage. Combined highway and city driving has proven to yield a consumption rate of around 35 miles per gallon, hardly a gas guzzler. Reliability is a huge plus for my Accent. Aside from routine maintenance (which can be done easily by any backyard mechanic), all that's gone wrong is a broken radio tuner (replaced under warranty) and nonworking dashboard lights (replaced a cheap 'diode' in the fuse box.) Also, the transmission had been acting up during my trip across western Canada - a tranny fluid change fixed that up. So, after owning the car for 2 years, I've put about 60,000 relatively trouble-free, efficient, spacious kilometers on it. It is great for urban commuting, not so great if you like speed, or turning. Overall, though, it certainly has a right to play with the big boys in the compact scene.

Best Car

by from Indianapolis, IN on March 24, 2010

I bought this car used at 123,000 miles and it is currently at 189,000 miles with absolutely NO problems. I drive it pretty hard, daily, and I have never had an issue. It has been SUPER dependable!

Wonderful Car

by from St. Louis, MO on August 13, 2009

I've had my little Accent since it had less than 10,000 miles on it. It now has over 140,000. I love this car. I can complete a 180 within two parking spots, my tall friends can actually fit (husband complains a little about the width for the driver's side seat, but he's leggy), and the gas mileage is phenomenal (road trips = 38 mpg! It's true!) The downsides: Take car of this car. Routine maintenance is enough, so long as you actually do it (I'm very guilty of being bad to my car). I've heard many people complain about the transmission (on automatics it's pretty jumpy and goes out fairly early on, I replaced mine at 120,000), my electric is wonky (sometimes it eats my CDs and starts draining the battery...?) and the A/C is a little too much sometimes for the little engine that could. Now take into account the fact that I've put 130,000 miles on it within 6 years, I'm a midwesterner and I've been to Florida and Indiana and Chicago and many other places, not to mention multiple jobs where I was driving 7 hours a day 5 days a week. My specifications were a small car with a/c, a cd player, drop down backseat for storage and good gas mileage, and this car has lived up to my expectations.

Econo-box That Rocks

by from Smithtown, NY on April 9, 2007

slick shifting 5 speed mated to a small, yet smooth running engine. Wonderful fuel economy yet good power. Its rare to find a small car such as ths which still lets you overtake with ease, but this is one of them. Drove it for 5 years, and traded it for abrand new 06 accent

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by from west virginia on January 19, 2010

I love my Hyundai accent. Great car, great value. I bought mine new off the lot with AC for $9650.

Accent: a very under rated car

by from Toronto,ON on January 21, 2008

I've had two of these accents, My son has one and we find them a terrific value for the money-reliable, easy to work on, well designed, great winter car. Love it. Paul

Short term option only..if you like car problems..

by from Dekalb, IL on November 14, 2011

I bought this car used with 62K on it. Many minor things started to go wrong with it. Car started blowing fuses, gasket leaks, and car lock problems. It seemed like something new would go wrong with it every month or two. Finally, the Death Knell, the axle fell off when I was driving it one day. The rods underneath it were cheap and they rusted completely through. Lucky I wasn't killed that day. Just terrible car mechanically. It lasted till 92K, and I owed another year of payments on it. Don't buy this car.

This is the best Car!

by from St. George Utah on January 14, 2012

I had a 2002 Hyundai Accent for about a year and it was the best car! I spent the past six months traveling back and forth between Utah and California and it handled like a champ! Did regular work on it and it worked like a charm and always let me know when things needed to be done it and it got great gas mileage. (29 in the city and 35 on the freeway) I sadly rolled my Accent back in December but I was able to walk away from the accident unharmed and in good condition thanks to the wonderful design that is the Accent! I am on the hunt for another car and another Hyundai Accent is for sure on the top of my list to replace the one that was wrecked!

Best Economy Car Ever Made

by from Fairfield, CT on April 1, 2007

Better than the Honda Civics I've owned. I Loved this car, it got an avg of 30 mpg. It hadled very well for a vehicle in its class. 5-speed was smooth and easy, never gave me a problem. Engine has great torque, and ran smooth as silk. I would definately buy another hyundai. And with a 10yr/100K Mi warrenty, they always take great care of their customers. True leader in this segment

Similar Models