2002 Hyundai Santa Fe consumer reviews

$17,199–$17,999 MSRP range
side view of 2002 Santa Fe Hyundai
Explore the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

A Well-Made Vehicle

I recently sold my 2002 Santa Fe, but loved every one of my 132,000 miles. The only flaw was an air conditioner that refused to work after three complete replacements, an additional repair on the first one, and several thousand dollars. I could not subject my baby son to the July heat any more in it. The engine was flawless. No major repairs other than typical maintenance. It had zip to it, drove great, and was comfortable leather. A good car if the AC works!

260,000 miles and still going!

I bought my 2002 Santa Fe in Feb. 2002. Review written 2/2011. I've got 260,000 miles on it and it's still going strong. I travel 140 miles round trip 5 days a week for work on the WV turnpike (serveral mountains and many curves). The AWD has gotten me thru many snow/ice storms. Other than routine maintenanace the only repairs have been (1) leak in the air conditioner system, covered by warranty and (2) broken belt & loose pulley. The tires last for 90, 000 miles on this baby. Will replace w/ another Santa Fe when this one dies.

Great Vehicle

Very safe and reliable vehicle. Great quality for money. Gets me where I need to go and has the look of a high-end SUV without the gas mileage.

125000 Miles Still Awesome

Bought car with @ 20K miles. I have changed the oil and had 2 tires replaced thus far...are you kidding me??!! Car runs like the day I bought it. A simply amazingly well manufactured vehicle.

Great Car!!!

I just bought this car 6 mths ago, with 150k miles, but it drives like brand new. No problems whatsoever. LOVE IT!

A Great Automobile

You can't go wrong with a Santa Fe. This baby has 130k miles and runs like new. With the triptronic transmission, i still have the original brakes. timing belts are expensive every 60k but its worth the investment vs getting a new vehicle. Highly reliable, excellent engineering. Decent mileage, smooth ride; 2.7 V6 excellent weight distribution.

160K and still chuggin'

My 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS is an amazing vehicle, especially for the money. I've brought it on the beach for some four wheeling, I've pushed it over 110mph, it has over 160,000 miles on it, and it's still running quite well. It's really going to be emotional the day I have to give this car up...

I would buy it again

Bought the car in 2002, this review is written in 2009. We have had the car into the dealer once. The check engine light was on, the issue was covered as a free repair/recall issue. Otherwise, no other problems in 172,000 miles. Ok gas milage. We will consider buying a Santa Fe again when this one dies...which could be a long while from now.

Reliable Car

I have owned both Acura and Lexus before; they both are 6 cyl and run great. But after around 13k miles, both cars have the same smoke problem coming out from the mufflers. Compared to these cars, Santa fe is a great car with much lower price to own. Its V6 2.7L engine is powerful enough to drive and tow. My Sant Fe is 12k miles now but still runs excellent and never given me a problem except change some light bults.

3.9

A Clydesdale

My wife bought her SF with 30k on the clock in 2003. Two kids and 80 thousand miles later, this car has been nothing but good to us. Performance- being a car fanatic, my only complaint is that the passenger car engine has a passenger car torque curve. You really need to get the RPMs up to make things happen. However, we have had it loaded with firewood and towing a trailer, and it got us where we needed to be. Mileage is so-so, but the AWD is great in the slick (and designed w/Porsche assistance). Looks: Well, you don't confuse your car for anyone else's in the lot. The paint scratches somewhat easily, but it buffs out easily, too. Interior has been holding up great. Repairs: Timing belt at 65k ran 300 bucks, struts/shocks at 110k were about 800. Other than that, just routine maintenance with our local mechanic (CSC in Chantilly). Reliability: Never left us stranded, this thing has gone everywhere and done everything for us. I used to be quite anti-Hyundai, but this ownership experience has completely changed that. You're getting a phenomenal bargain on a car that, sadly, has lousy resale value.