2004 Hyundai Santa Fe

Good car for the money!

by from Milwaukee, WI on August 22, 2017

Great for first time car owners. Only issue I had was with the parts which had to be all Hyundai-means more expensive. The fuel economy was decent and met my needs at the time.

Great SUV that will get you around.

by from King Of Prussia, PA on July 12, 2017

I purchased this car used from a dealer a few years ago and it only had a little over 50k miles on it. Currently in 2017 it is sitting at right under 90k miles. I needed this car for work and school and it has always been reliable one way or another. Routine maintenance and upkeep is not expensive with this car since the parts are easily available and nothing bad has happened to it. It is able to get around in the snow as I have done so for going to work (at a slower speed I might add) and there are very few complaints that I have about the Santa Fe. One of the biggest downfalls about this model is the gas mileage (I have the 2.7L V6 for reference). In 2004, getting 20 mpg highway was incredible but nowadays that is underperforming for city mpg. I'm still managing 17 mpg city and sometimes 21/22 highway but it really isn't the best when you look at newer SUVs but that improvement comes with time. Overall, I love this car and everywhere it has taken me safely. If I do upgrade to a newer car I will definitely keep Hyundai in mind since this is definitely a car and a brand to recommend.

Uses car for Havingfun

Been a phenomenal car

by from santa fe, nm on May 11, 2017

2004 with 66k miles runs great, couple little problems since I bought it 6 years ago but nothing serious. Very good milage for a 3.5l , it was about 24-25 when I was calculating it years ago . On a long slow cruising trip I actually got it up to 28 mpg but I was going about 55 mph for days without traffic lights or ac on. This is not normal realistic but was impressive nonetheless. I just love the car for car camping with a good thick mat, hauling stuff, and lots more. The only issue was adjusting the roof rack was impossible because it needs a special tool: someone eventually recommended using a fork with bent tongs and that solved the problem.

great suv, and price.

by from longwood .fl on May 10, 2017

very well built, good gas mileage,no mechanlical issues ,just regular maintenance, only issue was bushings on r. strut shocks. minor repair.have 167881 miles and going strong.

No problems so far

by from on April 18, 2017

I bought the car at 160,000 miles I've put about 15,000 miles on it so far with no problems at all. Only thing is has needed was oil changes and its good to go.

New to me :)

by from Derry, NH on September 20, 2016

Great car love it!!! The people at Onyx PreOwned are so nice and helpful. Very polite and respectful.

So much to like

by from Michigan on October 9, 2014

I bought this car used but still well within the warranty and had it for about 6 years. Had I not been a dummy and traded it in, I would absolutely still have it. This car served many functions for me - it served as a commuter car (both while I was in school and when I began working), was taken on several long distance trips (think 12+ hours of driving), and was used for around town errands and such. The car I had was fully loaded - 6 CD changer, moonroof, BIG engine, etc. The good - this car is a champion in the bad weather - seriously, awesome. The ride is super smooth and comfortable. The inside cabin is really spacious and I moved many large pieces of furniture in this car like it was nothing. The design - i know its not for everyone but I always thought this car was great looking. The engine made this car feel like a sports car - just slightly tap the gas and the car would take off... great for merging onto highways. To date, have never had a car that felt this powerful. And, probably more important than anything else - safety is amazing. I was rear ended on a highway at a high speed - the car not only suffered very little damage but I was fine too. The bad - not really much of anything. Had some mechanical issues but nothing that I think is symptomatic of issues with this car in general. Gas mileage (while commendable for a car this size and with such a large engine) was probably my biggest complaint and ultimately why I traded mine in which as I said earlier is something I absolutely regret. All in all - this car is a major winner. The warranty is fantastic, the car is awesome, and I would not hesitate to buy this car again if I were in a position where I didn't need a commuter car.

Poor engine design

by from Louisiana on March 11, 2013

Bought the car new and have had problems since the beginning. Crank sensor every 6 months, throwout bearing destroyed the clutch, timing belt shredded, power steering pump froze up, has used a quart of oil every 1500 miles since new, and the list goes on. Extended warrany paid for itself many times over. The car has the most comforatble seats I have ever found in a car. There is a hole somewhere and mice keep getting in the car, wish I could find that hole. I love the car, but the poorly designed 4 cyl engine can only be depended on to break down with no warning. Manual tranny and 4 cyl, only 23 MPG combined. Hyundai never again.

04 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5L

by from Kansas City, MO on December 13, 2012

My wife has an '01 Santa Fe and it's been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever seen. We LOVE it and when the opportunity to buy a vehicle came up, I pounced on another Santa Fe. With the exception of disappointing gas mileage for my 3.5L Santa Fe, I couldn't be happier.

Too Big and it's a Gas Guzzler

by from Wilmington, DE on October 25, 2011

In 2008, I totaled my 2003 Hyundai Sonata and picked up one of these used. It's the 3.5 Liter V6 version and it gets terrible gas mileage. Driving this SUV makes me very uncomfortable because it is too big (I like smaller cars). It's comfortable inside with the climate control, heated seats, and sound system. It has too much power for me. I have to be very light on the gas or I spin the tires. The backseats fold down but the cargo area is too small to be used for 8 foot lumber. I would not recommend this model of this car. The V4 model may be reasonable, but this is a pain to drive and fill up.

Our Expert Review: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe