2004 Santa Fe

4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Love at first drive.

by Shirl from Utah on April 7, 2008

I absolutely love my little "twuck" (nephews). The only con is the head room in front, I'm 5'8" and drive sitting very straight, and the leg room in back. But we don't have adults in the back seat very often. Very easy to install child seats! Excellent mileage! I have the smaller v6 and get up to 26mpg around town!! Yet it's got enough guts to get us up the canyon, and over the mtn passes, without straining the cruise. I would like to see more info on the dash: volts, oil pressure, etc. And a bit more ground clearance too. The front wheel drive performed magnificently in the above-average snowfall we had this winter. Turns a little wide, but not nearly as bad as my Explorer did. So, overall, I adore it!! Definitely going to go with Santa Fe's in the future!

"Most Reliable Car I've Ever Owned"

by Here 'n There Driver from Connecticut on February 23, 2007

Yes, my 2004 Santa Fe is even nicer than the 2001 Santa Fe I had! Comfortable even for tall people and that's even with the Moonroof! Solid-feeling and you feel really safe driving in it. Roomy and spacious for all my stuff. The 4WD is really excellent! I never get stuck and there's lots of control driving in bad weather. And it still looks very cool (to me) with those bubble fenders and metallic baby blue paint (which they don't offer anymore, unfortunately). And you can't beat the 10-year, 100,000 mile warantee! Now, the CONS: it's heavy and the MPG is disappointingly low... I get 16 - 18 MPG in mixed driving. The 6 cyl. 2.7 liter engine doesn't give much "pickup", but it's not sluggish. And the brakes don't stop me as fast as I'd like, again I figure because of the car's weight. But overall, it's really the BEST car I've ever had!

So much to like

by Highway Cruisin from Michigan on October 9, 2014

I bought this car used but still well within the warranty and had it for about 6 years. Had I not been a dummy and traded it in, I would absolutely still have it. This car served many functions for me - it served as a commuter car (both while I was in school and when I began working), was taken on several long distance trips (think 12+ hours of driving), and was used for around town errands and such. The car I had was fully loaded - 6 CD changer, moonroof, BIG engine, etc. The good - this car is a champion in the bad weather - seriously, awesome. The ride is super smooth and comfortable. The inside cabin is really spacious and I moved many large pieces of furniture in this car like it was nothing. The design - i know its not for everyone but I always thought this car was great looking. The engine made this car feel like a sports car - just slightly tap the gas and the car would take off... great for merging onto highways. To date, have never had a car that felt this powerful. And, probably more important than anything else - safety is amazing. I was rear ended on a highway at a high speed - the car not only suffered very little damage but I was fine too. The bad - not really much of anything. Had some mechanical issues but nothing that I think is symptomatic of issues with this car in general. Gas mileage (while commendable for a car this size and with such a large engine) was probably my biggest complaint and ultimately why I traded mine in which as I said earlier is something I absolutely regret. All in all - this car is a major winner. The warranty is fantastic, the car is awesome, and I would not hesitate to buy this car again if I were in a position where I didn't need a commuter car.

Truly impressed after 4 years!!!

by Hyundai Faithfull from Florida on October 2, 2007

My Santa Fe is reaching its 60,000 mile first round and still performs like new . I have taken care of following the manufacturer advice for maintenance from a to z. The good thing about this SUV is the fact that it is very cheap to mantain even with the scheduled maintenance.The gas mileage is not outstanding (18 miles per gallon) but on the other hand it has the 3.5 v-6 which is really Peppy. only 2 observations : The materials used to build this car , specially the bumpers , could have been of better quality , they chip easily and also if the drivetrain would have been rear -wheel drive it would have been the almost -perfect SUV....would i buy another Santa Fe?....not this years model.....but i am looking at the KIA Sorento which is part of the Hyundai "Family" and has all the goodies & quality....and also is ...Rear wheel drive.

all around great SUV

by Specilum from Chicago, IL on February 3, 2011

Good Gas Mileage. (4cyl) very reliable and well worth your money. I have had 2 cats replaced on this vehicle already. that is the only problem I have had. 2004 SantaFe - FWD 4 cyl.

Great Car

by Happy Driver from New York, NY on March 16, 2009

Ultra reliable, good handling and low maintenance. I purchased the 5 year warranty, but have had no problems. The car is comfortable, has good pick-up and fun to drive. I have driven it almost every day to work (to NYC)for the last 3 years. It's also roomy enough to transport equipment.

three years no problems

by picky from Virginia on March 13, 2007

Very dependable and stylish. At 47,000 miles I have had no mechanical problems and will be replacing the tires for teh first time soon. Small rubber piece around the nose on the hood was the only problem and I have seen that on others as well.

My version of a SUV StingRay

by sealevel from New York, Queens on March 26, 2009

This car is parked in my backyard and Honestly I LOVE IT! As soon as I pay my parking tickets I`ll have it back on the road - This design is the last of the sporty Hundai Sante Fe

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2004 Sante FE

by MCKNIGHT from Freeport, IL on July 19, 2006

We bought a 2004 with all bells, leather and such. The transmisson hesitates from a stop light. Also on down shifting the transmission chuggs. Our SUV has only 27,000 miles =/-.

Love it

by Jeff from kcmo on December 5, 2008

Very dependable and stylish. At 90,000 miles I have had no mechanical problems and will be replacing the timming belt for teh first time soon.

1 2 3 4