2006 Sonata

2006 Hyundai Sonata

2006 Hyundai Sonata

4.5

Have You Driven the 2006 Hyundai Sonata?

Very Impressed

by Car Lover 1982 from St. Paul, MN on Sat Jan 01 2011

First Hyundai I've purchased. I was a little hesitant given their past reputation, but I think their bad days are behind them. At first glance I thought the exterior look of this car was very sharp, especially the 5 spoke wheels and dual exhaust. On the inside you will notice how they kept the costs down. Mine is fully loaded with every option which makes it fun. However, the quality level is very average. Simple design, but much better value than purchasing another car without the fun options. My single dislike of the entire vehicle is the factory radio. I have owned many cars and this radio is by far the worst. We may need to upgrade the unit and speakers if we intend on keeping this for sometime. The performance of the 3.3 V6 is exceptional. The acceleration will really make you gasp. It was far more than what I had expected. I do tend to drive fast on the highway and this vehicle doesn't let me down at all. At high speeds it doesn't seem to be working all that hard. The ride is pretty good for a sedan. Again, this is more of a budget car, so you should expect to hear more bumps and noises than a higher end car. Overall I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a fun ride without spending a ton of money. We average mid 20s for mileage and maintenance costs are next to nothing. Purchased it with 90,000 miles and now close to 110,000. No end in sight.

Love my 3rd Hyundai

by Chris from Lewistown, PA on Wed May 24 2006

First I owned a 99 Elantra. Then a 2004 Elantra. Both with no problems what so ever. Then I took my car to get serviced and got a loaner car. What did they give me a brand new 2006 Sonata. To boot only 3 miles on the car. When I first saw the car I could not believe that they gave me a new car as a loaner.(not expecting that). I must say I fell in love. The whole car was so much better than my Elantra. After I had the car for a day I took it back and started the paper work for a new one. 3 Hours later I had a Black GLS 4 cyl. Brand new, I picked the car out on the lot and had to wait till they pulled all the plastic and everything off from inside. Yep that NEW. AWESOME. Love my 3rd Hyundai, even better than my previous Elantras. I like the bigger, more roomier Sonata. Perfect. So Far. The Aezra looked nice also. WOW!!! They will soon be(to me they are) ahead of the domestic brands. Watch out, that day is coming up fast, just like a new V6 Sonata in your rearview mirror.

Best Vehicle I've Owned.

by Sonata Buyer from South Carolina on Fri Oct 19 2012

I bought my V6 Sonata w/~20k miles on it. It never gave me any trouble except for the sun-visor issues, (which was common for this year model. seems they all want to droop, but I replaced mine for a measly $60.) I drove mine to about 70k miles and the only things I changed were the tires and the oil/filter, air filter too. Unfortunately, I was leaving for work one morning and another driver decided to go through a STOP sign without stopping. He broke my car :( I really liked that car! So I'm going shopping for another one. As well as it was doing during the time I had mine, I felt like I was going to get another 100k out of it. Just my opinion though. I never felt cheated in the power train, as it always accelerated very well. The combined mileage for me was always around a good 27mpg. If you drive it rough and are a lead-foot, you will get less. At the current gas prices (around $3.50 a gal), I could go back and forth to work for about $36 a week. That's driving 30 to 35 mins one way. Except for the dog that tried to chew through my front grill, the exterior held up very nicely. Nothing fell off and the original paint kept it's shine. The interior took me a short while to get used to, like any vehicle. I did not like the drivers seat at first, then learned how to adjust it to my back. The cruise control works well on the steering wheel's right side with volume and radio mode control on the left side. The only improvement I could think of for the steering controls would be to add an ON/OFF switch for the radio to make it a perfect control. (Nothing's ever perfect right!) Where I live the temperatures can get over a hundred degrees for long stretches in the summer. And NO, it's not a dry heat, lol. The humidity is just as unbearable. Walk outside and you feel like you've been hit in the face with an open oven. The Sonata's air conditioning never failed me. And though the "feels like" temperature outside would be 110 degrees F, I kept cool inside my car on those drives back and forth to work. I happen to like a lot of trunk space in my car and this one happens to have just that. If you find you need a bit more space, the rear seats will fold down for you too. Not a feature on a lot of sedans I've seen. Ok, there is one thing I don't like about this (and other) cars. I like an antenna to be off the glass, not on it. I feel you get better reception that way. All car makers are going this way though. To make the glass "embedded" antennas work a little better they are equipped with amplifiers before they ever get to your radio. If the amplifier fades, so does your reception. I think mine began to fade before the accident and I was going to replace it with a better antenna. That's just a personal peeve with me. All in all this is (was) a great car and I'm going to look for another one. Just take a look at Consumer Reports summary on this vehicle and you'll see the difference, most hold up very well!

fantastic car

by retired guy from Moreno Valley CA on Thu Nov 29 2012

I bought my "06" Sonata V6 new in November of "05" and was one of the first to buy it after reading reviews on it.. I now have 56k on it and have had no problems at all. Very reliable, very smooth quiet ride. I am 71 years old and have owned many cars in my lifetime.. This is the BEST car I have ever owned.. bar none. I keep her garaged and polish it almost every day.. Could not be better.. Hyundai makes great quality cars.

Great Value Family Car

by Owned many cars from Brooklyn, NY on Tue Mar 01 2011

Had my '06 with 70K miles about 6 months and it has been great. Best value in the used car market since the reputation for the '06 redesign has not caught up to the reality. The safety features, reliability, interior size - esp huge trunk and other features are fantastic. The acceleration with the six cylinder is great, and so is the highway milage - 30 without trying to be efficient. The one downside is the city MPG is really bad. I live in Brooklyn, NY but even so 11-12 MPG is pretty lousy. Such a good buy though that I would have to drive it for 10 years before the MPG ate into the price savings.

Just keeps on ticking

by Sonota Owner from U.P. of Michigan on Thu Jul 15 2010

Purchased this car with 19K on it and just drove it and drove it and drove it. Now has 110K with no major problems. Only complaint is the brakes seem to need replacing too often. The interiror in plain, but servicable on the 2006 model (however it was upgraded in later years). I used this as my personal vehicle for awhile, then gave it to my sales staff to drive into the ground. They love it. 30+/- MPG highway, roomy and a good ride. This is a great car for the money if you are looking for an inexpensive, yet comfortable and dependable car.

A Practical Car

by testme from Brewster, NY on Mon Apr 25 2011

This is one of the most practical cars I have driven/rode in. it would be great for a person of any age and gender. The car is a great price and drives very well. Nothing high speed but it has enough pick up to get the job done. Highly recommended car, especially to parents with teens soon to drive.

great car

by bob from Phoenix AZ on Mon May 14 2012

I have this car since 2005. I have had only two issues with the car. Last year the drive belt broke on the rear window, and 2 summers ago the a/c had to be replaced. The car has 96000 miles on it. I feel for a v-6 the mileage is great. 24mph and 29 hwy. I love this car and wish I could keep it. I would recommend this car to anyone.

very nice car

by long time driver from long island ny on Sat Apr 28 2012

love my sonata.. only complaints is the gas miles, interior dash boards looks cheap , broke my sunvisor. driven cars since 1980 never had to replace a sunvisor before, minor issue but odd enough to mention. love the stereo, how the car rides, very comfortable woule recommend to anyone!

Great Car so far!

by 28 y/o male St Paul, MN from St Paul, MN on Fri Feb 04 2011

I really like the 2006 Hyundai Sonata! I have owned it for 3 months of a Minnesota winter so far. It is typically parked in my driveway and I have never had any issue with starting it up. It drives smooth and I like the brake and acceleration pedals (not too touchy). I have the 4 cylinder so there is not a lot of acceleration power there, but it is definitely ample. I am a little disappointed with the gas mileage right now but I will blame it on city driving and Minnesota snowy roads (about 23 mpg). Great amount of space; plenty for my ice fishing pop-up shelter and gear, cc skis, and the comfort of your chubby friends. I think it's a great car for what you pay!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Our Take on the 2006 Hyundai Sonata

If you're still not convinced that Hyundai vehicles deserve your consideration, check out this model. For years Hyundai has had a knife lodged in the rib cage of domestic automakers, and the 2006 Hyundai Sonata represents the most vigorous twist yet.

Hyundai rolled out this sedan's good looks, best-yet quality and epic list of standard features at the Detroit auto show in February. Ford's Taurus replacement, the Fusion, had been introduced the day before, but it promptly slipped off my proverbial radar screen. My evaluations of a Sonata LX V6 and GLS V6 have only increased my enthusiasm. This new sedan, now technically full size, is a shot across the bow of the midsize class... Read More