Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 Sonata

2008 Hyundai Sonata

2008 Hyundai Sonata

4.5

Have You Driven the 2008 Hyundai Sonata?

LOVE IT..

by BeadafullDesigns from Mackinaw, Il on Sun Jul 11 2010

I was a little leery when my husband brought home our Sonata that first day..a Hyundai? REALLY?.... I wasn't impressed with the thought. THEN I DROVE IT!.....I love this car so much I honestly want another one to replace my mini van! There are tiny little adds that just make it perfect, like the handbag hook..my hubby calls it a garbage bag hook, each to their own :) The visor mirror on the pass. side has a light from the ceiling of the car NOT glaring in your face from the visor. A lumbar adjustment on the driver side seat. AND THE POWER....WOW! LOVE IT!! Im thrilled when i get to pass another vehicle...it just picks up and GOES!! My 18 yr old son LOVES this car too. What can I say..IM IMPRESSED!! I really could go on and on...and on...I hope this helps....

Sonata Limited

by willardo from Frederick, MD on Thu Feb 25 2010

This car is exactly what I was looking for. I was looking at Hyundai Elantras and by chance looked at the differences between the Elantra and Sonata. I've upgraded from a compact to the Sonata and am extremely impressed with its ride, handling and amenities. I like the keyless entry, radio controls on the steering wheel, remote heatd mirrors,automatic headlights and rear-view mirror accessories - garage door openers, compass and automatic night dimming mirror. I'm also impressed with the safety features - antilock disc brakes and electronic stability control. The car handled pretty well in extreme snow road conditions. I would recommend the Sonata to anyone looking to buy a mid-size automobile.

Simple elegance with highest performance

by PeteCar from Miami, FL on Thu Jun 08 2017

After years holding on bank payments of a car leasing I decided to be free of that dues for a while. I started searching for a used car in magnificent conditions with the purpose of having at least 5 years, so after three weeks of exhaustive reviews luckily I meet and bought this elegant/energetic Hyundai Sonata 2008 3.3L Limited. After almost 2 years driving this car I can say that it was an excellent decision, saving money with a high performance engine. It was used to commute from house to office, 30 miles roundtrip daily, as it was expected this turned out to be an experience of daily comfort and nobleness.

Good Buy Great Car

by Debps from Connecticut on Sat Jan 12 2013

I bought this car in a hurry because my 2008 Honda Civic was totaled. Compared to my Honda this car is awesome. Drives great in the snow! Runs smooth and Quite. Comfortable front & back seats. Heated front seats Only downside so far is it is not very good on gas but I have only had it about a month so not real sure avg but so far about 20 mpg

My Car Is the Bomb

by nnayr3 from on Fri Dec 12 2014

This car is awesome! I got it in 2009 and have driven across country twice in it, and put more then the average yearly miles and it run so good. I have changed little things here and there to make sure I have no major problems (preventive care) oil changes, brakes etc... and so far so good. I did little things to my car like tent the windows and lights, changed the hub caps etc.... and i get so many compliments on it. It drives smooth and has pick up. Also the sun roof, one touch window and xm radio (small details) make a big difference and WHY I love my car. The few problems i had Hyundai took care of it. My money went a long way and my car is still running like the first day i got it off a used car lot.

Single Owner Sonata High Mileage

by UberHyundai from San Diego, CA on Sat May 13 2017

First, car is driven ~500 miles a day currently and has been since it was at 80,000 miles. I do oil changes like clockwork every 5k, I do radiator and transmission flushes at 30k. Check engine light has never been on and it runs like a champ. I regularly drive it hard at over 4000 rpms and it still hasn't had any leaking or engine noise. Currently the car sits at 183,000 miles and its still going strong. The rest: Interior: Pretty bland, I got the GLS model so its plain. the cloth picks up every bit of dirt, I need to wash the seats at least once a month (mostly the driver seat) but the light fabric just shows everything. Cup holder broke the first week I owned the car so I need to have 2 drinks (or a can or a coffee mug) in it at all times in order to prevent the real drink from spilling, annoying but it works. The driver side visor broke a long time ago, replaced it and it works fine. That's literally the end of the list of things that have broken on the car. Exterior: at 10 years paint is peeling, and I wash and wax it monthly. The styling of all sedans in the mid 2000's were boxy and horrible. Do not consider this car for styling purposes, its just not ascetically pleasing in any way. Here's a complaint about the car that I cannot do much about, the lug-nuts. They started to begin the process of failing at 150,000 and I went to buy new ones. they are $8 per lug-nut from Hyundai. That's 20*8. Insane. Be aware aftermarket nuts will not work as they are deep seated and the hubcaps will fall off with anything but factory. So you either buy new lug-nuts from Hyundai or you buy new hubcaps and lug-nuts from amazon. Overall: The car has been insanely reliable. Just do the preventative maintenance and you can take this thing well over 200k. When it does in fact die, I will get a new Hyundai probably a Genesis, but that's not because I don't like the Sonata, its because I want a luxury car. For someone in the market for a ~$18k-$25k car I would 100% recommend it to them.

Sonata

by Bryan from on Tue Feb 03 2009

There are few things I dislike about my 08 2.4l 5sp Sonata. The car performs all my basic transportation needs. The biggest downfall of this vehicle is its gas milage. I only get 26.7 MPG with this vehicle during mostly highway driving. I would not recomend this vehicle in my configuration for someone who is looking to save $$$ on gas.

Does not recommend this car!!

Sonata

by A to B from Troy, MI on Tue Apr 28 2009

Like the car. Looking for the same year make and model. The simple dashboard is easy to operate. XM-radio is a bonus when compared to other cars in the same category. The cabin is roomy. While the V-6 offers more power, the I-4 has enough power for communiting. Plus, very efficient. My records calculate 23 mpg combined, idling, driving on freeways and local traffic.

Good Bang For Your Buck

by From Two to Four Wheels from on Sat Feb 20 2010

After living in a pedestrian city for seven years, I moved back to the Midwest and I purchased the Sonata. I've had it for about four months and so far so good. It turns extremely well, reminiscent of old Volvos (pre-Ford). I'm about 5'10" and there is more than enough leg room for me and passengers. The dealer, who is about 6'3" sat behind me when I test drove it and had plenty of leg room, as did I. It gets pretty good gas mileage and I've had no problems with it so far. It's not the most luxurious car, but it does it's job. It's definitely a car to look into!

Great Commuter 2008 Sonata SE 5sp Manual

by Hoot from Florda on Fri Mar 19 2010

Walked in at the end of the model year and picked up this beauty for just over $16K with college grad, military and cash back incentives. At 26K miles now and have done little besides oil changes every 5K miles, tire rotations, and regular washes. Use this car to commute almost 30 miles each way every day. Also used it on longer trips where I've averaged over 31 MPG at 65mph. Car handles well with lower profile tires and stereo is top notch with XM. Plenty of interior room for family trips with four 6'+ folks in the family. Wonderful value and super reliability. Always look for the SE model in Hyunda cars! Only question now - when do I trade it in for the 2011 Sonata SE!

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2008 Hyundai Sonata

"What are you driving this week?" a friend asked me the other day, not an odd question since I get a new vehicle each week for testing.

"It's the Hyundai Sonata sedan," I replied.

"Is that the one that looks like a Jaguar?" he asked.

"Well, it used to," I said.

The exchange was a surprise to me, because until then, I thought maybe I was the only one who had noticed similarities in the styling of the previous generation of the Sonata and the baby Jaguar, the X-type sedan that arrived in 2002.

That Sonata was replaced for 2006 by a new generation with all-new styling, and the similarities to the exterior of the Jag disappeared.

But even without looking much like the X-type, the 2008 Sonata is a much better... Read More