2009 Sonata

4.4

Have You Driven the 2009 Hyundai Sonata?

Excellent car

by Dr SDG from Maryland/DC area on Thu Dec 02 2010

I bought this Hyundai Sonata LTD from a Hyundai dealer in Sept. 2010. It had 12K miles on it and I paid extra for the 100,000/10 yr "bumper-to-bumper" extended service contract. So far, the car has been 100% trouble free. It's a pleasure to drive. The 2.4 liter 4-cyl engine gives surprisingly good acceleration and it corners nicely ... for a family sedan. Excellent fuel economy (32 mpg hiway, 26 city). Tranny is not a smooth as I would wish, but certainly acceptable. Interior is VERY comfy and upscale-looking. The LTD model has lots of nice features: like seat heaters, dual climate control, upgraded sound system. Back seat & trunk are roomier than Camry and from seats are more comfortable.

by Leo from Maryland on Sun Jul 20 2008

I just purchased a 2009 Sonata Limited edition, before buying I looked at Lexus and a couple of other high end cars and I found that money wise none of them could come close to the price and the equipment (sunroof, Nav system XM radio) and the ride is great and so is the handling, I never see you writing to much about the Hyundais. As far as I am concerned ( I have had four) there is nothing bette out there , Thanks Leo.

Awesome car.

by Suzi Q from Helendale, Ca. on Sun Oct 12 2014

I have had my 2009 Sonata for 6 years and 45000 trouble free miles. I drove on a 7000 mile road trip through mountains, hot deserts, potholes and cities. I got 34 mpg. I never got a back ache or muscle cramps. I took my 89 year aunt on a California coast run and she was thrilled at her comfort level through long hours on the road. The only flaw that occurs to me would be that it has average get up and go from 0 to 60 mph, but this is a little quibble. It has a nice sound system, quality interior, beautiful silver pearl paint and all standard features. What a value! I highly recommend this vehicle. Very reliable!

Best family sedan for the money! Period.

by NC_Driver from North Carolina on Thu Jan 13 2011

I have a 2009 SE model that I bought new and I must say that it is the best car I have had so far. The SE sport tuned suspension provides a smooth and firm ride that makes the car very enjoyable to drive under all conditions. Very nice inside and out and roomier than most car it's size. I have more than 35,000 miles on it and no reliability issues so far. Gas mileage and performance are very good with the 2.4 engine.

Great Car - Great Value 2010 4cyl Sonata LTD

by old road warrior from Pensacola FL on Wed Dec 29 2010

I spent months researching vehicles and test driving. Occasionally I'd be checking out a car lot and would be very tempted by an older model of a main stream classic (i.e. camry, altima, lexus) but I'd remind myself that I had researched and decided on the Hyundai. With an almost perfect score with Consumer Reports and great review on Edmunds and many glowing consumer reviews it made perfect sense. Though there were year end deals to be had on the new 2011, I personally didn't care for the new styling. It's not top of the line (Lexus) quality, but every bell and whistle is there in the limited model. So many convenience things you wouldn't expect in this price range car - auto lights, telescoping wheel, auto climate control, great stereo system. Another feature I love is when you put the car in gear the doors lock - when you turn off the key in park, they unlock. My old car locked automatically, but didn't unlock automatically - very annoying. The car has plenty of pick up to pass on the interstate and pull out in traffic. I'm surprised at the power of the 4 cylinder. Only occasionally can I tell it is not a V6. Recent trip we got 36 mpg. The interior of the car is huge and comfortable. I'm glad I held out for a limited model - love the leather and the wood trim and little extras. My ONLY complaint on the car is considerable road noise, particularly at high speed. Also at high speed there is wind noise to the point you're checking the windows and sunroof. Though that can be annoying I decided that was pretty much the main thing that would give away the price range of the car. I've only had the car a couple weeks, but this is car number 15. Over the years I've owned Lexus, Infiniti, Nissan, Toyota, Volvo, Volkswagon, Mazda, Ford and Saab. The Lexus was my favorite, but this one is looking mighty good.

family sedan

by family sedan from Chaska, MN on Fri Sep 10 2010

this was a certified used car, exceptional value/warranty and overall quality/performance for the price. Recommended by Consumer Reports for the past 5-7 years as a used car.

Great Ride

by BobyJo from Springtown TX on Mon May 31 2010

This vehicle is the best ride I have been able to find. Looks and quality is in the Lexus, Acra, range. The ride is quite enough that at times you cannot hear the vehicle traveling on a good highway.

200,000 miles and going strong

by MRLnova from Winchester, VA on Tue Sep 05 2017

This is the most reliable car I have owned to date. I keep it maintained and change the oil myself with extended mileage full synthetic and is still humming along. A couple things in the interior have worn down or broken after extensive wear, but no complaints otherwise.

Sound system

by joe from Wasaga Beach, ON Can on Tue Dec 22 2015

I have had the car since new and love it. I recently noticed a problem with the radio. A high pitched sound when the car is running. The higher the rev the more sound. I called the dealer and they more or less blew me off. Has anyone else had this problem.

Loved this car..

by Ryan from New Haven, Connecticut. on Wed Apr 22 2015

My 2009 Hyundai Sonata was my first car, and it just recently got totaled in an accident. Someone ran a stop sign at 50 MPH and T boned me. This screwed up my axel, and the suspension. My mother owned the car initially, and then I did. We did a lot of driving from CT to Massachusetts, and put 165,000 miles on the car in just six years. Anyways, I never had a mechanical issue with the car, it ran perfectly til the day it got totaled, and I probably coulda drove it for another 100,000 miles to be honest. Even in my accident, the car kept me and my passenger safe, as we suffered only bruised bones. The car was very solid and sturdy. In addition, I could sit five people comfortably and had tons of room in the trunk. The interior was comfortable, and looked nice, the lights for the radio, speed-o-meter, and other buttons were all blue, which looked awesome at night. I'd highly recommend this car to anyone who needs an affordable, reliable car that you can be proud of driving. I'm really going to miss mine.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Our Take on the 2009 Hyundai Sonata

Sometimes a car doesn't require a complete overhaul to bring it where it needs to be in the market, and that was the case with Hyundai's Sonata. Already competitively equipped in terms of safety and convenience features, the 2008 Sonata's main shortcoming was its interior styling, which was behind the times. With the Sonata's redesign for 2009, Hyundai solidly addresses this issue, delivering a sleekly styled cabin that features top-notch materials. Hyundai didn't stop there, though, as the new sedan is also more fuel-efficient and comes with more standard features.

Styling
The Sonata is one of the most conservatively styled family sedans available. While the appearance of the car has been tweaked here... Read More