2001 Isuzu Rodeo

Jus keeps running and running

by from lexington, ky on August 7, 2017

When I purchased this car with 60,000 miles on it over 12 years ago, I had no idea I would fall in love. A lifelong truck or van owner, this purchase met my needs for a more car-like vehicle to tote around more than 1 passenger. It sits up high like a truck but has the interior comforts of a somewhat plush car - great sound system, super comfortable seats, and common sense ergonomics for the driver. Currently clocking in at just over 240,000 miles, this car has never let me down. If they still made these, I'd buy another one today.

Long time owner

by from Alberta, Canada on January 6, 2016

I?m the original owner of a 98 Rodeo (18 years now), and I?ve been quite happy with it. There has been some repairs along the way, but these items were typically wear oriented ? IE: limited slip clutch pack, starter solenoid, etc. I?ve managed to perform most of the repairs myself and the vehicle is not to hard to work on. Bought the Rodeo shop manual with the vehicle. I like the Rodeo for its size and capability. There are not many vehicles in this size that are; body on frame, comfortably seat 4, can tow 5000lbs, and not take up much space in the garage. The 4:30 differential is wonderful for my 17? travel trailer. In my younger days I even went bush whacking with it and it performed well. Got me out of some places I should not have gone. In the winter I do wish it had an iron block as it cools off so quick, but I manage by completely sealing the front. Ride is a little stiff as I think the suspension is overbuilt. Cargo volume is good, roof rack is strong. I have a manual transmission, and here on the highway once the cruise is set, speed hardly changes ? no matter how steep the hills.

2001 Isuzu 186K miles

by from Atlanta, GA on June 18, 2014

This is my first car. I wasn't interested in a bigger car since it seemed like it would be a pain to drive. I love it BUT it does have issues that need to be fixed that are inconvenient and make my parents worry. I bought it for $2,500 so naturally I expected problems, and some of them I don't mind. When I bought it the driver side door wouldn't open from the outside, but I somehow fixed it. The main problem is that it has a turn on problem. So far no one knows what the issue is except that it's electrical, and it's often a pain when I turn off the car to stop for gas or the store. It needs to be fixed and could end up costing a lot of money to fix. So far it will turn on if I let it cool so it's a matter of waiting for the car to cool down, but still. It usually handles the highway very well, but I have had the transmission light come on and off at high speeds around 70 mph when trying to shift(I think). It was fixed once before for awhile by my dad when he noticed something wasn't on fully beneath my shifter, so I'm hoping it's just that. I really love this car, and from what I understand I just got unlucky with the car itself.

Best Car I've Owned

by from on July 30, 2013

Owned my '01 Rodeo LS for 9 years and 120k miles. Very little maintenance required over those years. Handled snowy roads and high mountain trails like a champ. It's a shame they stopped making them after '04.

Worst vehicle I have ever owned

by from Maryland on October 10, 2011

I bought this vehicle used with 120k miles on it. It turned out to be nothing but a headache. Lots of electrical issues, which is not unusual for a car this old, but repairs were costly -- for example, $100 in labor to remove the dashboard to replace the bulb on the check engine light! This was not the 4WD dive, and was the most dangerous vehicle I've ever driven if the day was anything but sunny and dry. In the end it fishtailed on a wet road when going uphill at 25 mph, and smashed into a telephone pole.

Excellence in reliability and affordability.

by from CT on February 13, 2011

Best car ever for fair price. I've driven Isuzu Rodeo for ten years and never had any problems with it. Awesome car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

faithful companion

by from cincinnati on February 4, 2011

I owned my 2001 Rodeo for nine years and 152K miles. It was the most dependable vehicle I've ever driven. It handled snow and ice very well, was a great car for both city driving and long trips. It rode like a truck a lot of the times, but was still comfortable in most situation. I would say it was a great truck.

Excellent

by from on September 15, 2010

I have owned two. My first was a 95 and now I have an 01. Drove the 95 to 250,000 without hardly any problems. Both are very reliable and have had hardly any repair issues besides the usual maintenance. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants an affordable, sporty SUV!

I love this car

by from FL on June 13, 2010

I rented one of these in Hawaii and fell in love. Bought one shortly after and loved loved loved it.

trouble

by from Atlanta, GA on August 16, 2009

i have owned this suv since new taken good care of it but after 100,000 miles everything breaks in the last year i have spent nearly $6000 on repairs.